PDA

View Full Version : Getting a rig ready for Moab

EugeneL
10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I have 2 40's and I'd like to set one up for running Moab. I'm new to the site and would like to know how you've set your rigs up for running the Moab.

J Kimmel
10-17-2012, 12:56 PM
make sure everything works, no leaks, and go have fun. There was a guy who did Hells Revenge in a Crown Vic so you can even get by without 4x4 but its helps :)

thats how I do the Moab.

Gerdo
10-17-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm in Moab a few times a year. I'm running a 3rd gen 4runner. Some of the climbs that are drivable would be scary, for me, in a short wheelbase 40. The length on my rig does hinder on some of the steps since the front and rear tires hit steps at the same time. Most trails in Moab are not loops so a rig that is still road legal is good. The summer heat can be 115*+. Moab has trails that you can drive with a stock Rav4 and some that you need a buggy. Most can be driven with a nicely modified rig.
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

subzali
10-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Gerdo, which climbs are you referring to? Climbs such as Kenny's Climb on Fins and Things are scary the first time, then you realize that your 40 can do it and then they become fun! I have yet to do Launch Pad though, I know that's another puckery one...

To the OP, here is a link to the vehicle requirements for our Cruise Moab event, which is probably a good guideline for anybody - some of this information is a little dated though:
http://cruisemoab.com/vehicle-requirements.asp

Have fun!

FJBRADY
10-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Rear locker and 33's and you can do most everything you want to do.

35" tires and dual lockers and you can do the bigger trails.

My thumbnail picture is my 40 on Golden Crack which is on the Golden Spike trail...............kinda fun when you pop a wheelie at the top of launching pad, SWB keeps it interesting for sure. :thumb:

EugeneL
10-17-2012, 01:24 PM
I've watched youtube videos and visited the Moab site for min. requirements. My question is, what works best? Which tire size, amount of lift, wider axles, diff locks that work best and how long do you stay on the trails? Do you pack your own food, camping gear and water?

nakman
10-17-2012, 01:24 PM
make sure everything works, no leaks, and go have fun. .

^^^^^^^^^^^ this!

Get comfortable driving the truck, get to know where your tires are, where your diffs are, etc. Make sure it's mechanically solid- no cracked hoses, brakes are 100%, no cooling issues, and new (within 5 years) tires. Then just have fun.

I have led lots of trails in Moab. Would much rather have a confident/capably guy in a stockish rig on my run, than a built rig with a loose nut.

FJBRADY
10-17-2012, 01:34 PM
I've watched youtube videos and visited the Moab site for min. requirements. My question is, what works best? Which tire size, amount of lift, wider axles, diff locks that work best and how long do you stay on the trails? Do you pack your own food, camping gear and water?

Trail times vary from 5 to 7 + hours. Major break down and you hear stories of mid night or later on the trail. Yes pack a lunch daily and bring plenty of liquids.

Hard to say what set up is best. Some guys swear by 33" tires and dual lockers. I am running 36" tires, 5.5 inches of lift, low gears, dual lockers, V8 and am still at 90 inch wheel base. Took me a full season to learn how to drive it without flipping it. My advice is don't follow an 80 over obstacles! Pick a 40 line or follow an experienced 40 driver with enough patience to get you through the trail safely.

subzali
10-17-2012, 01:42 PM
I've seen and done a lot of the milder stuff on 31s and a rear locker (Hells, Fins, Porcupine, Elephant Hill, etc.). Going to 33s would make a lot of trails easier (Kane Creek, Metal Masher, Steel Bender, etc.). I'd probably want lower gearing/35s/dual lockers for the more difficult trails (Cliffhanger, Moab Rim, Behind the Rocks, Golden Spike, etc.)

You don't need to go crazy to be scenic though. Do you have any trails in mind that you want to run?

EugeneL
10-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks FJBrady. What do you have on your 40? Did you put stronger axles in or do you run stock?

FJBRADY
10-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks FJBrady. What do you have on your 40? Did you put stronger axles in or do you run stock?

Upgraded axles. My axles have wheel spacers which give me a 60 axle width. I am still sprung under.

I would like to stretch the wheel base, spring it over, etc. I don't have that kind of money at the moment and driving it the way it is adds to the excitement.

One thing about Moab is the traction is insane and you will be come a better driver as a result. You will go up stuff that looks impossible and ace it.

Come on out, you will have a good time at CM13....you wont regret it or forget it.

EugeneL
10-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks Subzali. That's my next question. Which trails to start with? The wheeling here is nothing like out west. My son is in the Air Force Academy and I plan on spending more time in CO. Thanks Gerdo for the link to trail damage.

Gerdo
10-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Gerdo, which climbs are you referring to? Climbs such as Kenny's Climb on Fins and Things are scary the first time, then you realize that your 40 can do it and then they become fun! I have yet to do Launch Pad though, I know that's another puckery one...

Have fun!

I know you guys do the same climbs that I do (almost the same, I have done Launch Pad). They still freak me out at times and my wheel base is 15" longer (105.3" vs 90"). Steady easy power up the steep stuff.

ScaldedDog
10-17-2012, 03:26 PM
thats how I do the Moab.

Hey, Kimmel, let's go do the Moab at the end of the month! I need a trip!

Mark

J Kimmel
10-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Hey, Kimmel, let's go do the Moab at the end of the month! I need a trip!

Mark

I just spent a grand on knee surgery, I'm out a ways :(

ScaldedDog
10-17-2012, 08:37 PM
I just spent a grand on knee surgery, I'm out a ways :(

Ouch!!!

Corbet
10-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Its been a long time since I wheeled my 40 but I'd say with 33" and a 2.5" lift the oem wheelbase is fine. After that I'd want to start considering going longer. But I just drive a big lumbering bus with AC now:D

rockrod
10-18-2012, 08:54 AM
The only trail I would avoid is Pritchett. The rest are totally doable. Once you get a few trips under your belt then run Pritchett.

33s and a rear locker will get you through 95% of what Moab has to offer (excluding area bfe.)

EugeneL
10-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info on the trails. What lockers are you running? Are you running 15" rims or bigger? Are you using a roll cage?

wesintl
10-18-2012, 03:07 PM
There are many variables in what works in moab. The biggest thing is if you cobble something together, moab and the traction rich rock will reveal it's flaws quickly. As nakman noted you don't want to be that guy.

IMHO a standard setup for most trails to have a good time are 33-35's a 2-4" lift and a rear locker. If you want to run without a hard top have a roll cage. That's really it.

Taller you go the wider you'll want.

That'll get you a good start to then build something more specific. I'd set it up basic, run some trails and see what you want to do going forward then build it to that.

what trails do you want to run? are into overlanding, or do you trailer your 40 to where you wheel? Everyone here has the perfect setup :)

farnhamstj
10-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Most of us are running ARB lockers or Toyota OEM lockers. Many of us had a lock-right,ez-locker, aussie-locker at some time or another. Most of us have 16" rims. Cages, yes for just about everyone but us wagon people.

I'll suggest Hurrah Pass-Chicken corners as a good first run.
Fins and Things as your second run.

Both do-able in a stock truck. Both offer great highlights of the Moab area.

farnhamstj
10-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Sorry, re read the orignal post. Didn't realize it was fj40 specific. Still useful info though.

For 40's I'll add that transfer case and tranny should be in excellent shape. Don't want a rig that "pops out of gear". Parking brake that works too. Fix any and all leaks. Bad juju to drip fluids in Moab (or anywhere really)

EugeneL
10-18-2012, 04:56 PM
This is all really good information. Just to recap:
1) fix all leaks
2) 33-35" tires
3) locker for rear (ARB or OEM), front optional
4) roll cage
5) food and plenty of water
6) transfer case and tranny in good shape
7) 2.5-4" lift
8) winch
9) 16" rims
10) upgrade axles
11) disc brakes on front and rear
12) power steering
13) engine and power steering oil, grease, spare fan belt and water for radiator
14) tools- high lift jack
15) first aid kit
16) sun screen
Did I forget anything? Please post if I did.:D I eventually want to setup to overland. I'd like to build a trailer.

wesintl
10-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Major snafu :beer: and fridge in the 40...

EugeneL
10-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Nice pic farnhamstj. Definitely bring a cooler and refreshment for the soul.:beer:

baja1d
10-21-2012, 08:50 PM
This is all really good information. Just to recap:
1) fix all leaks
2) 33-35" tires
3) locker for rear (ARB or OEM), front optional
4) roll cage
5) food and plenty of water
6) transfer case and tranny in good shape
7) 2.5-4" lift
8) winch
9) 16" rims
10) upgrade axles
11) disc brakes on front and rear
12) power steering
13) engine and power steering oil, grease, spare fan belt and water for radiator
14) tools- high lift jack
15) first aid kit
16) sun screen
Did I forget anything? Please post if I did.:D I eventually want to setup to overland. I'd like to build a trailer.

That looks like an incredibly expensive list. Remember J. Kimmels post about the crown vic. As long as your rig is mechanically sound; I'd wheel it in Moab as is. However, I'd grab a Moab Guide Book and research the trails you plan on running beforehand. Most of the harder obstacles have a "go around". Without question you'll know where to put your money after Cruise Moab.
Since CM is not for awhile I'd install a cage and a rear automatic locker. If you decide that an auto locker isn't for you, sell it and splurge for a selectable- ARB or otherwise.

subzali
10-21-2012, 09:17 PM
don't forget the radio! And if you're going exploring by yourself, a GPS with .gpx data stored in it would be pretty good too!

Air Randy
10-21-2012, 09:45 PM
First, try to go the first time with someone experienced with the area. You can always hook up with someone from one of the local Moab 4x4 clubs. It is a very large area with some serious obstacles, you should not try too much alone. If you come out during our annual Cruise Moab event, typically during the first week of May, we'll make sure you have a good time and are safe. Be sure you have a CB radio, HAM is even better, and tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back.

There are many trails you can run safely in a bone stock FJ40. Spend as much money as possible focusing on getting the rig in tip top running condition first with a focus on reliability. This is not the time to jury rig stuff or cut corners.

Taller tires give you more ground clearance, but then you need lower gears. The more gearing you have, to allow you to crawl in Moab, the better. If your rig already has 4.10's in it you are OK for starters. If it has 3.73's then better gears are a good idea. Try starting with nothing bigger than 33" tires to start with. That way you get more ground clearance without excessive body lift. If you can swing it, put an ARB locker in the rear, the next best choice is a detroit locker then a Lock-rite in that order. A roll bar is mandatory and a roll cage is strongly advised.

EugeneL
10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the information. I have a set of 16" wheels and I haven't bought tires. I think I'll go with 33's. I have the stock roll bar and I'm wondering if it will be good enough? I have most of the items on the list. I'll need a locker for the rear and a fire extinguisher. Will I need a winch? I was thinking of starting with the Fins and Things. My 40 is basically stock with 4.11's and a 2.5" lift. It has an F engine with a three speed on the floor. I'm a little concerned with the reliability of the engine. I'd like to put a different engine in it. I'm thinking of an EFI setup and maybe an auto trans. I'd like your input. Good idea or bad?

Rzeppa
10-25-2012, 04:59 PM
I ran all the Moab trails open/open on 31s in an otherwise bone stock 3 speed 40. After a couple of years I put a locker (lockright) in the rear. Best mod I have ever done. Then after a while the committee decided that most trails required 33s. D@mn. Okay, so I lifted a couple inches and put 33s on. A couple years later I stuck a 4 speed H42 in. That's what I run now. Coarse spline birfs, drum brakes, steering by Armstrong, no roll bar.

My friends in Rising Sun who showed me how to wheel (Rob Meredith, Dave Spratlen, Greg Luer, Kevin Ehrlick, James Bingham, Dan Dilly, Stephen Rudy, and others) basically have said to me, and showed me, that it isn't the rig so much as the nut behind the wheel.

Just make sure all your mechanicals are in good shape and don't worry about mods.

Learn to drive first, then think about what mods suit your style. Pick good lines and have fun!

FJCDan
10-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Something I have not seen mentioned is an air compressor and a good tire repair kit. Tire damage happens. I learned that on Porcupine rim my first time in Moab wheeling by myself in Aug and 105 degrees. Changed my tire and turned around.

EugeneL
10-28-2012, 01:47 PM
I'll add the compressor and tire patch kit to my list. Thanks for the help. It looks to me me that Moab has a really interesting trail system. I'm looking forward to my trip. I hope to have my 40 done by May.

Rzeppa
11-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Something I have not seen mentioned is an air compressor and a good tire repair kit. Tire damage happens. I learned that on Porcupine rim my first time in Moab wheeling by myself in Aug and 105 degrees. Changed my tire and turned around.

I carry a spare. Have used a spare twice while wheeling over the past 20 years. I carry a repair kit too, but have never used it wheeling. Both times I tore up a tire while wheeling it was huge damage to the sidewall and no kit could fix that.

Gerdo
11-01-2012, 07:49 PM
I carry a spare. .

A spare makes a great ramp up and obstacle or to fill in a big hole, like the center of Golden Crack.

Rzeppa
11-02-2012, 08:42 PM
A spare makes a great ramp up and obstacle or to fill in a big hole, like the center of Golden Crack.

If you know how to drive that isn't needed... :lmao:

Squishy!
11-03-2012, 10:05 AM
I carry a spare. Have used a spare twice while wheeling over the past 20 years. I carry a repair kit too, but have never used it wheeling. Both times I tore up a tire while wheeling it was huge damage to the sidewall and no kit could fix that.

I've punctured a sidewall snow bashing and thefatkid had a tire repair kit. We plugged the gash and finished the run no prob.

Rzeppa
11-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I've punctured a sidewall snow bashing and thefatkid had a tire repair kit. We plugged the gash and finished the run no prob.

How big was the gash?

My expedition friends use split rims and just carry extra tyres and tubes. Of course those types of tyres aren't optimal for Moab-style rock crawling...:thumb:

Squishy!
11-06-2012, 10:07 PM
How big was the gash?

About 2" actually

rover67
11-06-2012, 10:32 PM
I have been able to seal a 2" long gash in a sidewall with tire plugs also.

Takes lots o plugs but it can work. Squishy knows.

Squishy!
11-07-2012, 08:48 PM
No joke. Think I still owe him a full kit... Crap. Sorry Brian.

EugeneL
11-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Has anyone run MTZ's on their rig?

corsair23
11-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Micky Thompson Baja MTZs?

Hulk has them on his FZJ80...if you are looking for info you might send him a PM