PDA

View Full Version : Tool recommendations

MDH33
08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi all,

I need to chase some threads on my FJ40 and I don't have a metric tap and die set. I need a thread repair tap, 8 x 1.25

Any suggestions on where I might find one in Denver??

Thanks!

IanB
08-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I use Craftsman.

nakman
08-04-2006, 10:21 AM
You can get a set at Harbor Freight for like $10. They are cheap, cheap tools.. everything you'd expect to find in a cheap too. But for chasing stuff & occasional tapping they actually do the job just fine. Go slow & use lots of lube, back off a lot so the chips don't load up.

edit: looks like they're as low as $8 for ultra-cheap http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=tap+set&Submit=Go but the stuff that says "lifetime warranty" is actually decent. And you can return the broken stuff at the store just like Sears.

MDH33
08-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping to find a specific thread chasing tool. I'm concerned about breaking a tap off. I have crossed threads on the funky double captive nuts inside the windshield frame of my FJ40 and I can't figure out a way to get them out which would make using a helicoil, etc much easier. I called a couple of Sears stores but they would all need to order thread repair tools, nothing in stock locally. There's a harbor freight store nearby but looks like they only carry taps and dies and not the chasers. I really wanted to take care of this today. Any local tool stores that carry this stuff so that I don't have to order something online and wait? I'm impatient :D

Crash
08-04-2006, 11:18 AM
AAA Metric or something like that Near I-25 and Broadway. Will find the right name and address for you. Good place to do business.

Crash
08-04-2006, 11:26 AM
AAA Metric Supply 60 Lipan St. 303-892-9000

Romer
08-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I had a similar problem with those bolts. I used a reversed drill bit to get them out. Only place in town I could find the bits was AAA Trading Post on South Broadway.

This bits have reversed threads so when you co in reverse on your drill, the bit grabs and digs the bolt, often breaking it free.

make sure you get a few spare bits.

MDH33
08-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Good tip about the reverse bits. I was able to get the original philips heads out using a hand impact driver, but two of them had been forced in previously and they were cross threaded so I can't get the new hardware in. I think if I chase the threads the new bolts should go in alright. One of the rear turn indicator brackets also has one of the bolts drilled off, so I may try the reverse bits to pull that out. I'm going to stop by AAA metric later today. Thanks for all the replies!
:cheers:

gcmandrake
08-04-2006, 05:38 PM
The Tool Zone on 104th in Northglenn has an amazing selection of quality tools too. You might give them a call too if AAA Metric doesn't have the taps. (303-252-8500).

the Other Matt

Rzeppa
08-04-2006, 07:26 PM
I got my metric tap and die set from Sears. Helicoil kits from parts stores. Left handed drill bits from Tool King. You use the normal tap to chase threads. That's what the expression means among machinists. The tap that comes with helicoil kits is slightly oversized. Use lubricant and back off 1/8 turn to break off the chips for every 1/4-1/2 turn and you won't break any taps.