PDA

View Full Version : Axle Vents

Telly
10-23-2012, 06:03 PM
While waiting for my front axle bearings and seals to arrive, I decided to perform a bunch more maintenance items on my 78 FJ40. Air Randy suggested extending my axle vents in another thread, which is an excellent idea. I did some searching on MUD and here and did not find clear direction. Some say to rip off the vent housing, spring and flapper and run a 3/8" line up in the engine bay. I assume I need another check valve or vent at the end of the line? What is the best/easiest method of extending the front and rear axle vents?

Thanks. Doug

wesintl
10-23-2012, 06:14 PM
you could leave it open if it's high enough and you don't think water will get in it. THe old skool method is one of those inline gas filters. later 60's or 80's had a small tube (like a foot) with a check valve. you could always use that in the end of your tube if you use the same dia.

Corbet
10-23-2012, 09:38 PM
I used some cheap fuel filters from NAPA. Guess I'm old school

DaveInDenver
10-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Fuel filters for air cooled VW Beetles work well.

wesintl
10-23-2012, 09:49 PM
You have a graph for that?

Corbet
10-23-2012, 10:03 PM
You have a graph for that?

Best I could find;

Air Randy
10-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Extending the vent via rubber hose and fuel filter works fine, just get it high enough that you will be above the highest water level you expect to encounter. Make sure you use hose that wont get rotted out by exposure to 90w.

Some axles have the little check valve that screws in. Take it out, screw a fitting in its place with a hose nipple on it and put the check valve in the end of the rubber hose. Dont forget to do the rear axle too.

black95
11-11-2012, 02:51 PM
on all my Toyotas, I've unscrewed the check valve, and the threads are so close to an 1/8th inch pipe thread, that you can make a hose barb fitting screw in there. Seems like the rear axle vent went through the brake line though? that might take a little ingenuity. definitely make sure the hose is rated for oil use.

subzali
11-12-2012, 09:43 AM
I did my front and rear diffs. Fuel filter in the engine bay. There was a writeup somewhere that I followed, it was super easy. Think it's packed away right now though.

Cheeseman
11-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I remember Nissan had a fitting with a longer tube on it. Same thread. They worked for mine. Then you could hose clamp it better if you wanted.