PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Jeeps

subzali
10-26-2012, 08:56 AM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/jeep-an-obama-favorite-looks-to-shift-production-to-china/article/2511703#.UIl4z0bCz8B

60wag
10-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Wow, there is some serious hate in the comments on that site. I find it amusing that a company considering a future decision can be bent into a political issue. Those folkes need to chill out.

coax
10-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Well it appears that the taxpayer bailed-out Chrysler is looking back and now considering cutting costs by shifting production of all Jeeps to China, which has a strong desire for Jeeps.

I thought I read a different article saying this was mistaken, and that they were only looking at starting to manufacture SOME jeeps in china for the chineese market, not all jeeps. :confused:

farnhamstj
10-26-2012, 09:43 AM
90% of the things we purchase are "made in China" It's a global economy, and we like to buy cheep. It shouldn't be about bashing Obama. It is up to us as citizens to make good purchasing choices. It's not Obama's fault you had to buy a 40" plasma tv.

My Tv's made in China (Purchased at Costco in Eagle)
My Truck's made in Japan (repaired in Golden)
My Coffee comes from Indonesia. (roasted in Minturn)

I'm not even sure what I had for dinner was made of U.S. grown products.

We are the problem. I am the problem.

I will try to limit my "made in China" purchases.

On a positive note: I am buying a Townhouse, Made in Eagle, CO. "of U.S. and foreign products" no doubt.

wesintl
10-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Probably should have been in the political section..

Yes.. but Big O is running on job creation and how he's keeping jobs here, creating more jobs. How he bailed out the auto industry to keep jobs here.

Then O criticizes Romney about shipping jobs overseas..

No doubt it's a global economy..

Sure seems like a double standard to me...

euroford
10-26-2012, 10:16 AM
we need a department store based around selling us products. i'd buy stuff there as much as possible.

(my jeep was definitely made in the us)

Jacket
10-26-2012, 10:29 AM
I do love chinese food.:drool:

subzali
10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Wow, had no idea this was political. I was just posting up a link to a news story. Man you guys are touchy...

wesintl
10-26-2012, 11:08 AM
I could go for some general toes chicken :hill:

corsair23
10-26-2012, 12:48 PM

Oh man....Now I have a hankering for some lomein or sesame chicken and egg drop soup!

FJBRADY
10-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Yup went to the Imperial on Broadway for lunch today. :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
10-26-2012, 10:17 PM
MSNBC is saying it is a false claim, flat out.. I know I am drinkin the cool aid..Goes well with Spicy beef...:D

My LC has an ARACO sticker, so I am not exactly a US auto manufacturer purchasing fanatic. Now my next company car choices are Prius vs. Ford C-max and I think I am leaning toward the Ford..They look cool..

DaveInDenver
10-27-2012, 05:58 AM
It's confusing when you read all the words in order. What passes for journalism these days, the flow of the article is poor. My interpretation is that Fiat/Jeep will be building or expanding factories in China to build cars for Asia. Further, they will eventually make a full line, e.g. all models, there rather than mix locally assembled models with some imported from existing U.S. plants.

You could infer that moving production will make a dent in output of the domestic plants since it seems a large portion is indeed exported, but there is no indication that /all/ production will shift. The article does not say how many total Jeeps were made, but Chrysler as a whole apparently made 696,155 vehicles. If you keep the same ratio that 75% of their cars are Jeeps, that means they made 522,116 Jeeps and 117,189 were exported, so 22% of production is moved to China. The ratio of Jeeps is probably not that high, but still if half of Chrysler's cars are Jeeps that's still 348,078 and 34% of Jeeps production is being moved. It's a significant move, maybe this mean loss of a shift or some lay-offs, but certainly not /all/ production is being moved.

Emphasis is mine.
Fiat Says Jeep Output May Return to China as Demand Rises (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-21/fiat-says-china-may-build-all-jeep-models-as-suv-demand-climbs.html)
By Craig Trudell - Oct 22, 2012 9:10 AM MT

Fiat SpA (F), majority owner of Chrysler Group LLC, plans to return Jeep output to China and may eventually make all of its models in that country, according to the head of both automakers’ operations in the region.

Fiat is in “very detailed conversations” with its Chinese partner, Guangzhou Automobile Group Co. (2238), about making Jeeps in the world’s largest auto market, said Mike Manley, chief operating officer of Fiat and Chrysler in Asia. Chrysler hasn’t built Jeeps there since before Fiat took control in 2009.

“The volume opportunity for us is very significant,” Manley, who is also president of the Jeep brand, said in an interview at Chrysler’s Auburn Hills, Michigan, headquarters. “We’re reviewing the opportunities within existing capacity” as well as “should we be localizing the entire Jeep portfolio or some of the Jeep portfolio.”

Chrysler, which entered an alliance with Turin, Italy-based Fiat as part of its U.S. government-backed bankruptcy, is relying on growth in China to counter weakness in Europe’s auto market. The automaker is targeting 500,000 annual sales outside North America by 2014, more than triple its overseas deliveries in 2009.

Chrysler currently builds all Jeep SUV models at plants in Michigan, Illinois and Ohio. Manley referred to adding Jeep production sites rather than shifting output from North America to China.

Asia’s Strength
International sales for Chrysler climbed 22 percent to 153,154 this year through September, according to the company. The Jeep brand accounted for more than three of every four of those deliveries, with sales surging 54 percent to 117,189.

“We’ve grown much stronger in Asia to make up or compensate for some of the difficulties in Europe,” Manley said. Europe will be in “very difficult, tough times” through at least 2013, he said.

Boosted by strong demand for the Grand Cherokee and Compass sport-utility vehicles, Jeep sales in China have more than doubled to 33,463 this year through September. The brand topped total deliveries for all of 2011 by July of this year.

Chrysler’s 2014 international sales target is “certainly within reach,” Manley said. The European auto market is on track to plunge in 2012 by the most in 19 years, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association.

“Given what we see around the world, it is stretching for sure, but it’s not something we’ve given up on,” he said.

Fiat and Guangzhou’s plant in Changsha in central China has initial annual capacity of 140,000 cars and is capable of eventually assembling 500,000 vehicles per year. The automakers will add production of a new vehicle to the factory roughly every 12 months and began building the Fiat Viaggio compact there in June.

Red_Chili
10-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Chrysler even piped up and countered the claims they were moving production to China. Sure seems like an opportunistic twisting of bad journalism to me!!!