PDA

View Full Version : How about a run with off road trailers

Romer
10-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Been wanting to do a run with my Kimberley Kamper (KK). It's built for offroad, just not for tight places or where you have to back up like E Hill. On last years Maze trip it could have done everything but the backside of Ehill unless we disconnected and manuvered around.

With the KK I wouldnt be able to do the flats as fast, so thats why I wanted to see if others wanted to do the same. I know some of you have offroad trailers as well

You wouldnt have to have a trailer to join us. The trail would need to keep in mind the trailers and the groups speed would be slower as well

Any interest?

Fishy
10-27-2012, 06:33 PM
If you pass that RTT down to me at a nice price I'll join as a "non-trailered" participant!:)

I really should save for a nice trailer though. They really seem like they way to go.

farnhamstj
10-28-2012, 10:34 AM
When you thinking? Where? and how "off-road"?

Romer
10-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Im open, when depends on where. Obviously now is not the time for the rockies. Spring we could do New Mexico, Utah, etc or even summer in the mountains

How off road is open for discussion. Tired of only using it at campgrounds and easy to get to places like Camp Hale. I want to be able to take it on a trail and set up camp, either for a few days as a base or just moving along in the backcountry. The maze, white rim canyon are good examples of how far offroad

I really am open here, just had it almost 3 years and havent taken it into the backcountry. Might as well kept my pop-up

AxleIke
10-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Depending on Timing and dates, I might be very interested if non trailer participants are welcome.

Having significantly down graded to a nearly stock, smallish rig, a mild off road/camp trip would be very fun.

I will watch this thread to see about timing. My schedule is very limited, but this could be very fun if it works out.

Romer
10-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Isaac, non trailer participants are welcome. I have no place or timing in mind

I was wondering if the route through the swell the outlaws run did this year would work. I have always wanted to do the swell

wesintl
10-28-2012, 03:40 PM

I was wondering if the route through the swell the outlaws run did this year would work. I have always wanted to do the swell

Dave ran his trailer just fine... He did flip it though :eek:

bh4rnnr
10-28-2012, 04:04 PM

Most of the Swell should be fine, except for Devils Race Track, Black Dragon Canyon (knowing that your trailer is bit wider/longer than Dave's) and Behind the Reef Road. Great thing about the Swell is you can make base camps in both the north and south (I-70 cuts through the center) parts of the Swell.

AxleIke
10-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Awesome Ken!

And doubly awesome about the Swell trip. I would be VERY interested in that, as I was just oogling the photos that they came back with and was very interested in doing a run there.

Very cool!

Corbet
10-29-2012, 11:28 PM
I might be in as long as its "offroad" pop up friendly;)

Most of the San Juans are doable but probably familiar territory.

You could probably get your KK up Arch Canyon with some good spotting but I don't know if I'd want to take the pop up to the top.

Old40Dog
10-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Definitely interested Ken...LMK. :flop:

Nay
11-01-2012, 01:54 PM
I might be in as long as its "offroad" pop up friendly;)

Most of the San Juans are doable but probably familiar territory.

You could probably get your KK up Arch Canyon with some good spotting but I don't know if I'd want to take the pop up to the top.

I'm def interested in more explore/expedition type trips. I won't have a trailer anytime soon, tho...

Rezarf
11-01-2012, 03:28 PM
I'd be down Ken, I need a few poser shots of my trailer at least on the side of some dirt roads. I'd vote for some Colorado wheeling personally, maybe down by the dunes, or a western slope trip. Heck even something like the triple bypass with some remote camping would be fun.

Inukshuk
11-01-2012, 09:14 PM
I like where this thread is going. Dave did everything on the Swell no problem except a divot on a good graded county road where I wish I'd had a dashcam running! I watched that trailer do a full counterclockwise barrel roll in the air (mostly).

I think he could have trailers every single road we did including Devil's Racetrack and Behind the Reef Road (definitely that one). But even excepting the Devils Racetrack, we can come up with a mind-blowing overland adventure for this winter in Utah! Cold nights but great days.

nakman
11-02-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm most likely down for this, depending on dates. But I'd have to challenge why we need to go all the way to mid-Utah though, other than it's awesome there and accessible in the winter. But if this ends up next spring/summer, then like Drew said maybe we can do something closer to home- heck let's see who can make it up Jenny Creek :hill:

Inukshuk
11-03-2012, 01:00 AM
we could start with a trip to Pawnee Grasslands.

jonharis
11-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I want to do this! My personal vote would be for something that pushes the trailers closer to the limit as opposed to a gravel road type trip. Depending on timing I could be into it either way though! The Swell would be ideal for a KK or mine and a lot of it would be fine for an offroad pop up. I wanted to take mine down BD this year but didn't make it over there. Book Cliff Cruisers is doing their annual trip down there some time in march/april. I'd do something out east/north too. Haven't explored out there at all but a driving trip where we didn't basecamp would be refreshing.

Romer
11-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I want to do this! My personal vote would be for something that pushes the trailers closer to the limit as opposed to a gravel road type trip.

I agree. I don't mind a base camp though to allow more challenging wheeling either. Maybe a combination

Couple of days of moving and then a couple of days with a base camp exploring out.

wesintl
11-11-2012, 01:13 PM
When is this run 2020? :lol:
Time to move this thread to chat :)

Romer
11-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Thinking Spring

wesintl
11-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Don't be afraid of the desert in winter. You have propane heat

jonharis
11-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I agree. I don't mind a base camp though to allow more challenging wheeling either. Maybe a combination

Couple of days of moving and then a couple of days with a base camp exploring out.

I like that idea.

Thinking Spring

I agree. Even with heat, I have my limits. Unless you are thinking Baja........

Inukshuk
11-14-2012, 10:20 PM
i Agree. Even With Heat, I Have My Limits. Unless You Are Thinking Baja........

Nm? Az?

Rezarf
12-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Western slope ought to be clear by spring. Anything worth doing there? I got a baby due early march so dates may make or break my participation. Or take the newb out wheeling for his first few weeks on earth. Isaac was like 3 hours old when he first went wheeling. ;)

AxleIke
12-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Western slope ought to be clear by spring. Anything worth doing there? I got a baby due early march so dates may make or break my participation. Or take the newb out wheeling for his first few weeks on earth. Isaac was like 3 hours old when he first went wheeling. ;)

6 days actually, but given my mother's reaction, I wouldn't recommend it. :D