PDA

View Full Version : Chinaman Gulch

Nay
10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Weather permitting....

Chinaman Gulch :beer:

Saturday November 10th. Meet at Johnson City truckstop @ 9:30 am. Depart for trail @ 10:00.

I will have my two older boys, and Chinaman Gulch is always a very family friendly trail (if your family likes technical wheeling) with many spots to get out and have fun. I don't think Michelle and the younger two will join, but they might.

Let's get a headcount and make this happen. The long range weather forecasts do show a general pattern change towards next weekend. We'll keep an eye on it. Chinaman itself doesn't get much snow, but we all know how the drive can be if the weather turns.

Air Randy
10-31-2012, 10:57 AM
It's been a couple of years for me...any interest in a Chinaman Gulch run this weekend or next?

I am thinking either this Sunday the 4th or next Sat the 10th with the usual Johnson City truckstop meeting point @ 9:30.

Dee and I might be up for it if it is the following weekend and the weather stays good.

baja1d
11-01-2012, 08:09 AM
The 10th works for us.

Nay
11-01-2012, 12:51 PM
I think next weekend looks better for me as well. Anybody else?

Chinaman in Nov is supposed to be a tradition! We're all getting too old and tired :hill:, I have to start wheeling again or the Avocado is at risk of turning into a Suburban :eek:

ScaldedDog
11-02-2012, 07:15 AM
I'd be in for the 10th.

Mark

Nay
11-03-2012, 11:50 AM
OK, I updated the original post to the 10th (next Saturday). There is some discussion in long range forecasts of a pattern change starting next weekend, so we'll have to keep an eye on that.

Sorry for anybody who could only make it on Sunday - I think we have more interest on the 10th and it sounds like a better shot for good weather. We can always re-evaluate as I could do either day.

JadeRunner
11-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Old Chinaman Gulch in November is an awesome tradition. Thanks for posting up Nay.

I still need to have my transfer cases dropped to identify and fix my leak and I just installed a new lift that needs to be worked out. So I'm not sure if I can go yet. But, I will work on it. Sounds fun.

Nay
11-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Old Chinaman Gulch in November is an awesome tradition. Thanks for posting up Nay.

I still need to have my transfer cases dropped to identify and fix my leak and I just installed a new lift that needs to be worked out. So I'm not sure if I can go yet. But, I will work on it. Sounds fun.

I suggest small leak diagnosis starting on the 11th. :D

Seriously, though, looks like a storm coming through this weekend. Have to keep an eye on that, although I am reminded of our day after Thanksgiving Chinaman snow run, which remains one of my all time favorites. :hill:

Air Randy
11-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Biggest issue for me is having to tow the trailer over or back on icey roads, not something I enjoy. Lets make a call Friday afternoon based on the weather reports for that area.

ScaldedDog
11-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Biggest issue for me is having to tow the trailer over or back on icey roads, not something I enjoy.

x2. I'll be watching this thread, but am not optimistic.

Mark

Nay
11-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Totally understand...and the weather forecast is pretty consistent for some chance of snow. Agree let's make the call Fri afternoon.

black95
11-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Added this to the ColoradoLandCruisers site today, maybe some of the southern club guys can make it. Too much going on for me, or I would join :)

baja1d
11-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Doesn't look good for us.

Nay
11-08-2012, 11:40 AM
No, it doesn't look good. Cold, windy, probably some snow showers.

Nay
11-09-2012, 10:34 AM
OK, folks. Forecast hasn't changed. Calling for 1-2 inches on the trail itself, which would make this a snow run and turns Chinaman into more of an 8-9 rated trail than a 7.

Some light snow driving to and from once deeper into the High Country as well, and temps don't bode too well for avoiding icy conditions with light snow.

I think it is time to call this one off based on the inputs so far, i.e. we weren't planning a snow trip/run to Chinaman, especially for those who trailer.

Let me know if anybody disagrees, otherwise we'll try another time :beer:

ScaldedDog
11-09-2012, 01:06 PM
I agree with you. I'm out. thanks for trying, though!

Mark

Air Randy
11-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Agreed, but lets re-schedule as soon as the weather looks good. We haven't been wheeling since Moab!

Nay
11-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Agreed! My next run is probably going to be Christmas tree cutting in the Rampart Range area, which then brings us to the annual snow run.

I'm mostly skiing in the winter these days, but I'd still like to find a way to hit Chinaman since it stays open year round.

JadeRunner
11-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Works for me. I will be itching for a Chinaman run this winter after I get the Runner buttoned up. Maybe next month.

baja1d
11-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Sounds good. Agree w/ Randy, lets do something soon. A snowy forecast didn't bother me- just had too many irons in the fire this particular weekend.