PDA

View Full Version : H55 issues

baja1d
11-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I recently did a 2F swap in my '64 FJ40 along with an H55 & split case with the unobtainable parking brake drum conversion. Unfortunately, I think I screwed something up in the install. I've got 5 forward gears & reverse, however, there's issues with reverse. When backing out of the garage for my much anticipated test run the rig "jolted" to a neck break stop when I pushed in the clutch to shift into first gear. Of course I repeated this a half a dozen times with the same results. There's no grinding or obvious noise but something is definitely wrong. At any rate, I just pulled the t/c apart looking for something obvious & couldn't find anything. Anyone know anything about these & be willing to help a very frustrated 40 owner out? I need a functioning tranny & t/c that I can just bolt back in & hit the road? BTW, I've emailed Robbie as well.

SteveH
11-05-2012, 12:33 PM
If there's nothing loose in your xfer case that's jamming things, could your parking brake be engaging randomly due to loose shoes or too-tight shoes? Could there be an unrelated problem in your rear axle that coincidentally showed up at this time, such as a loose pinion nut?

baja1d
11-05-2012, 12:43 PM
If there's nothing loose in your xfer case that's jamming things, could your parking brake be engaging randomly due to loose shoes or too-tight shoes? Could there be an unrelated problem in your rear axle that coincidentally showed up at this time, such as a loose pinion nut?

I guess anything is possible but I really think that I messed something up either installing the transfer case's new rear output shaft with parking drum or mating the t/c to the tranny. Prior to pulling the t/c apart I adjusted the parking brake to both extremes and nothing changed. Axle wise, everything seems fine when it's up on jack stands and there were no issues prior to the swap.

rover67
11-05-2012, 12:49 PM
What does it do when you have the gear shifter in the neutral position?

Air Randy
11-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Just guessing but I would tend to agree with SteveH. If it is moving ok when in gear and the clutch is engaged, that sort of rules out the gears being goofed up. Having it stop suddenly when you push the clutch in (and effectively remove power) indicates the emergency brake or the regular brakes are bound up. I suppose something inside the case could be binding up too but I would check the easy stuff first.

baja1d
11-05-2012, 01:41 PM
If I understand your question correctly, with the rig on jack stands & engine running, the rear wheels will turn slowly in neutral.

rover67
11-05-2012, 01:47 PM
If I understand your question correctly, with the rig on jack stands & engine running, the rear wheels will turn slowly in neutral.

when in the driveway and in neutral with the engine running did it try to drive away like it was still in gear?

nakman
11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
What changed since July? anything? http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18261

wesintl
11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Sounds like a clutch issue or issue with the clutch fork. Esp when it only happens with the clutch engaged.

baja1d
11-05-2012, 02:33 PM
when in the driveway and in neutral with the engine running did it try to drive away like it was still in gear?

No:confused:

baja1d
11-05-2012, 02:35 PM
What changed since July? anything? http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18261

Nothing. Just walked away for awhile

rover67
11-05-2012, 02:51 PM
never mind.. I was still going down the stuck in gear path. I had forgotten about the previous thread.

baja1d
11-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a clutch issue or issue with the clutch fork. Esp when it only happens with the clutch engaged.

Wes, can you elaborate on this?

Marco, I was never really confident that the tranny was in neutral when I assembled the t/c. Hence the resent tear down.

PabloCruise
11-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Intereting!

I would love to do an H55f & split-case in my Piggy, so I'll be watching this.
I wonder if is clutch related as well

baja1d
11-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Spoke with Robbie at length about this issue & he really doesn't think it's related to the tranny or t/c. A lot of people have mentioned the new drum parking brake assembly as the cause but neither of us are 100% convinced. Unfortunately, when I mated the t/c and H55 I didn't have much to reference regarding a manual. So for piece of mind I've disassembled the t/c and will be pulling the transmission. I'll check the clutch and reassemble the tranny & t/c following the manual to the tee/ referencing this thread:http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/188968-split-case-rebuild.html. I'm currently cramped for time so it may not be until after thanksgiving.

baja1d
12-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Finally back at it, decided to ditch the drum parking brake and do a rear disc conversion. Unfortunately I've hit another snag or potentially discovered the root of my problem. It appears that the spines on the output shaft of the H55 has become misaligned. At any rate, I cannot get the transfer input gear to seat completely. Anybody know what I can do to remedy this besides a complete tranny rebuild? A custom made SST with a 3' extension & torque’d to as much muscle I can give it isn't working!!! I'm currently considering a Dremel tool to each spine just to get this gear to slide another 1/4".

powderpig
12-05-2012, 11:07 PM
You are going to need a new shaft, that will brake at the best/worst possible time. I know that the gear may get over the shift in the splines, but that will be a weak spot and will not take the load over time. Sorry to see that issue creep up, first time I have seen pictures of this happening.

baja1d
12-05-2012, 11:18 PM
You are going to need a new shaft, that will brake at the best/worst possible time. I know that the gear may get over the shift in the splines, but that will be a weak spot and will not take the load over time. Sorry to see that issue creep up, first time I have seen pictures of this happening.

Bummer!!! Any idea where I can source a shaft?

subzali
12-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Toyota has them. You could call up beno or Cdan and see if they can give you a deal.

rover67
12-06-2012, 08:13 AM
I also made up a complete set of tools to take it apart with. I think Dan has the tools right now.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/469197-h55f-disassembly-home-made-sst.html

nakman
12-06-2012, 08:45 AM
That's impressive... great pics too btw. Any idea what could cause that?

baja1d
12-06-2012, 03:23 PM
That's impressive... great pics too btw. Any idea what could cause that?

From Jim C on mud:

I think the problem you're seeing is that there was a running design change in the mainshaft and t-case gear. The splines on the shaft go farther forward on some. You have a gear w/ long internal spline, but a shaft with the slightly shorter splines. If the front 1/4" of spline is bored out of the gear, then the gear would go all the way into place.

DanS
12-06-2012, 11:39 PM
I also made up a complete set of tools to take it apart with. I think Dan has the tools right now.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/469197-h55f-disassembly-home-made-sst.html

I do. They are in my sister's garage in Westminster--still waiting for me to get my thing apart.

Anyone want to make an H55f disassembly date? I need to get those back to you, one of these days (only had them for well over a year now).

Dan

BreckBJ44
12-12-2012, 12:09 AM
h55s are notorious for having issues with seating the shifter into the right spot in the fork assembly. I have heard of this before and it was always that the shifter was inserted in the wrong spot... You have the correct H55 shift lever and are not reusing the 4 speed one right? email me with more questions as I have two of these and have done this a few times...

baja1d
12-12-2012, 06:42 AM
h55s are notorious for having issues with seating the shifter into the right spot in the fork assembly. I have heard of this before and it was always that the shifter was inserted in the wrong spot... You have the correct H55 shift lever and are not reusing the 4 speed one right? email me with more questions as I have two of these and have done this a few times...

Never considered this nor heard of it. The tranny did not come with the original lever, I am using the 4-speed.

baja1d
12-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Just to catch everyone up to speed. I've pulled the H55 out and robbed the IKEA Build of it's four speed & Marlin Crawl Box: http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/78855-1976-40-resto-buildup-5.html (Post 89). I just couldn't bear to see that unused box sit any longer!!! In addition, I'm pulling the plug on the "drum parking brake" & will be converting to rear to disc (w/ PB). Anyone, need this unobtainable parking brake conversion: http://www.sor.com/sor/cat076.tam?page%2Ectx=cat076%2Etam? Scroll down to "Parking Brake Kit For Split Transfercase". In regards to the damaged splines on the H55, over the next couple of months I'll be looking for a new main shaft or ordering some McNamara gears: http://www.mcnamaradiffs.com.au/sixgear1.html.

Jenny Cruiser
12-12-2012, 07:44 AM
I didn't realize that drum parking brake kit was so hard to find. I've got one on mine and it's great. :)

baja1d
12-12-2012, 08:25 AM
I didn't realize that drum parking brake kit was so hard to find. I've got one on mine and it's great. :)

Yep, there are a few out there but they don't come up too often. I just stumbled upon this one. BTW, I just listed it in the Classified Section.

rover67
12-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Dude, I think you should try the welding thing. I bet it'd work well. We have some talented welders here too that could probably pull it off. I be John would be up for the challenge...

baja1d
12-12-2012, 10:25 PM
I'll get back to it @ some point. My 40 has been sitting in the garage since July and I can stand it no longer!!! Got to get this thing rolling so that I can tend to the 80. Fortunately it's a tough rig and I'm not too worried about the abuse and neglect that I put it through. Each time I take it out it leans a little more. Last Saturday nearly caused Old Man Emu to kick the bucket!!! At least there's a new OME sitting on the shelf...

subzali
12-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Travis, I saw the lean this morning when I was behind you on the way into work. Yes, that was me waving in the little Corolla...:o

baja1d
12-13-2012, 07:55 AM
That's funny, even logging in just now I was still wondering who that was??? Hopefully, I'll get a chance to take the straps off & rewind my winch today. Thank God for the occasionally slow fire house

subzali
12-13-2012, 10:18 AM
yeah, you can tell you were out having fun this weekend! Boy, you have a long commute though!