PDA

View Full Version : Head Job

rover67
11-16-2012, 09:41 AM
I took the 525 apart last night. I think all in all it looks pretty good. Piston and Cylinder look very clean with little to no scoring.

I am thinking new rings, rebuild the head, quick go through the carb and call it a day.

The cam shaft where the seal for the water pump goes does look a little munched though.

rover67
11-16-2012, 09:44 AM
And I figure since it is down for a little while I might as well go through the suspension. I am taking the front forks and rear shock to hitchcock and will service all the pivot points and bearings on the bike. the rear swing arm bearing creaks a bit and the steering stem bearings feel like they have a detent they fall into.

The pipe is kinda munched also. I tried the water trick last night and it helped a little bit. I am just gonna leave it in the back yard and let it go through a bunch of freeze thaw cycles and see how it progresses.

rover67
11-16-2012, 09:45 AM
FJ40 is next.

nakman
11-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Yeah that galling on that shaft looks mean, so do you try to machine that down & sleeve it somehow? Or get a new one?

rover67
11-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Yeah that's where all the coolant was going. Hopefully the Dave Hopkins guy can do the head work and look at this also. If not I'll work on it... I agree it looks surprisingly gnarly now that I look back at the photo.

On the bright side, I talked to Neil at Hitchcock... I am going to visit him after lunch to drop off the front forks and rear shock :)

60wag
11-16-2012, 12:09 PM
I'll bet a new cam shaft is rec'd. Are you going to replace the valves?

egesledder
11-16-2012, 02:08 PM
So that's why your bike had a nice sweet coolant smell to it.

What you really need is the high compression 570 kit Marco:

http://thumperracing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_39_77&product_id=57

Maybe you'll be able to keep up after that.

wesintl
11-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Maybe you'll be able to keep up after that.
http://cdn.techpatio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/homer-doh.jpg.:lmao:. Nice first post :D

nakman
11-16-2012, 03:26 PM
. Nice first post :D

Yeah no kidding! tough room today in bikeland. :lmao:

rover67
11-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Yes very nice.. That gave me a good chuckle..

Perhaps you can keep up the next time we go to the go kart track. Much less manly than dirtbikes I know but it's all I got.

:)

Suspension is at Hitchcock, still waiting to hear from Dave to send off the head. Been looking for cams.. I'm pretty sure I want to stay stock if possible.

Also if anybody is interested in my auto clutch and lhrb in trade for a stock setup let me know.

farnhamstj
11-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Mine looked like that too. Dave re-did my head with stainless valves.(Upgrade from Ti) Stayed in spec all season. I hit the shaft with wet 800grit. When you replace the seal, push it in or leave it out a bit from its current position. The seal is about $4. The shaft is part of the cam at $150. What are you doing about piston/rings/cylinder?

farnhamstj
11-17-2012, 06:15 PM
I believe I have the parts for the factory clutch. My bike came with a box of the old parts that came with the bike. We can work something out.

subzali
11-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Also if anybody is interested in my auto clutch and lhrb in trade for a stock setup let me know.

Curious on why the switch back...

rover67
11-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I miss how I can control the front of the bike with a clutch. I like popping to get the front up and over stuff or to make the back hop. I also like wheelies which are hard with the auto clutch (it just spins the back tire).

If my clutch had the manual override I'd probably like it a lot more. Maybe i'll miss the auto clutch... not sure, I'm just ready to try something new.

rover67
11-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Mine looked like that too. Dave re-did my head with stainless valves.(Upgrade from Ti) Stayed in spec all season. I hit the shaft with wet 800grit. When you replace the seal, push it in or leave it out a bit from its current position. The seal is about $4. The shaft is part of the cam at $150. What are you doing about piston/rings/cylinder?

I think I am gonna leave the piston and cylinder alone, maybe just re-ring it. I am also going to have Dave do the head. I'll look and see if I can find a fresh spot on the cam shaft for the seals to ride, I hadn't thought about just moving them to a different spot. That's a good idea.

I'll drop you a line on the clutch stuff!