PDA

View Full Version : WTB split tfer case

nattybumppo
11-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Anyone have one they don't need/want?

Rzeppa
11-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Somebody bought Matt's off his 1986 60 recently - curious as to the application? "early" 35mm idler or later 38mm?

rover67
11-19-2012, 06:16 PM
I have one as a spare that I'd let go. It is in peices but could be gathered up pretty quickly I think. The bearings even seem good. Lmk.

nattybumppo
11-24-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm considering the options to get lower gears in my 40. Either Orion with what I got or an H55F with a split case and 4.56 gears...hence the inquiry. Jeff, I suspect the later case with the bigger idler would be what I want to mate with an H55F, but you know a lot more about these things than I do. Marco, in pieces would work fine for me as long as all the pieces are there. I'll get around to PMing you one of these days...

cruiseroutfit
11-24-2012, 04:57 PM
While the 38mm cases have some theoretical strength gains, its not much to worry about as its rare to see an idler issue with even the 34mm case. The big thing for an H55F swap into a 40 is to make sure you get a split-case that can accept the 5th gear oiler and is manually shifted (2WD-4WD) unless you want to convert. Info on the different split-case options here:
http://cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_split_case.html

rover67
11-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Mine is a 34mm case. It has the spot for the oiler.

Also, the 34mm case in my rig has lived a pretty happy life behind the v8 in my rig. I have not been nice to it either. I used to do lots of burn outs on dry pavement and stuff. Drag race, that kind of thing.

I'll see if all the bits are ther, pretty sure they are. I need to inventory the tease/tranny parts I have anyways. It needs to all come apart to be removed, that's why mine is in bits.

nattybumppo
11-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the great info as always Kurt.

Marco, I'm just chuckling at the thought of burnouts and drag races in a Land Cruiser! Maybe you should find an old 67 Boss Mustang or something for your second car!

Rzeppa
11-27-2012, 10:03 PM
The two biggest issues for this swap (now that I know it is for a 40) are the rear drive shaft going from about two inches long to about one inch long (exaggeration, but you get my point) and then figuring our what to do for a parking brake. Years ago MAF had that disk brake you could put in the rear, but that is long discontinued. So basically what most that I have seen have been doing is the Monte Carlo or ElDorado rear disk with integral mini-drum parking brakes. I still don't like the super short rear drive shaft unless you are doing a spring over and gaining length there. Of course now you are looking at all kinds of other issues, like double cardans from pointing the rear 3rd upwards, high steer, etc.

At the end of the day, the H55F was never intended to be put into a shorty 40 with an F series engine dues to length issues. I have seen several really nice 13BT and SBC V8s where the engine gets moved forward to accommodate the longer transmission though.

Rzeppa
11-27-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm considering the options to get lower gears in my 40. Either Orion with what I got or an H55F with a split case and 4.56 gears...hence the inquiry. Jeff, I suspect the later case with the bigger idler would be what I want to mate with an H55F, but you know a lot more about these things than I do. Marco, in pieces would work fine for me as long as all the pieces are there. I'll get around to PMing you one of these days...

My understanding is that the H55F will only mate with the later split case.

Back to my post about the driveshaft length, I would never put an H55F (or an NV4500) into a 40 with stock wheelbase and F series engine and sprung under.

With a sprung under 40 and F series engine I would go lower 3rd member gears first, best bang for the buck, plus it reduces the stress for breakage (basic physics). Second choice would be Orion, third choice would be SM465. The SM465 (or Sm420, harder to find these days) is really cost-effective for gearing, but effectively makes the rig a 3-speed on the street.

All that said, My FJ60 with 3.70 3rds, 33s and H55F is a WONDERFUL combination of on and off road gearing. Just a really sweet setup and really well suited for the torque curve of the stock 2F. I just wouldn't do that on a shorty 40!