PDA

View Full Version : 1st Annual "Run the Gulches" Saturday 12/8

Fishy
11-23-2012, 04:14 PM
How about a Gulches Run (Metberry, Hackett, Longwater) or any combination of the 3? Doing all 3 is possible but would make for a long day. Doing 2 is probably better.

New date is now Saturday 12/8. This gives everyone time to plan on being there and it's on a weekend!

For those not familiar this is in the area that was burned by the Hayman fire in 2002. New growth has been slow to return so the area has a very distinct look to it. I've always seen deer on the trail and I know there are Bighorn sheep and mountain lion in the area.

I've never done Hackett Gulch before and I believe it's slightly more difficult than Metberry. However, I've ran Metberry in my 100 when it was completley stock with no issues. Metberry is mostly packed dirt/sand with the only rock being the big slab near the end. There is a wide area right along the South Platte River for lunch.

I like this area this time of year as it's usually free of snow but may have some mud from snow melting quickly. There are only a few trees to shade the the ground, so the sun melts the snow really fast. I'd love to make this an annual trip between the Holidays. Call this the 1st Annual Run the Gulches Run!

Here is the updated meeting place. Deckers Store right in the tiny town of Deckers at the "T" where CO67 and Deckers Rd meet. There is the Flies and Lies fly shop in the same little building. No gas, but if the store is open it will have basic provisions. Any of you coming from Evergreen/Conifer/Foothills would take 285 to Pine Valley Rd/CO126 and come in that way. Us southsiders would take 25 South to Happy Canyon Rd, 85 to 67. Hopefully we'll have a few of us coming from either direction and we can meet as 2 mini groups and all meet at Deckers. No reason for you northsiders/foothills guys to have to go all the way to Happy Canyon. Deckers store is almost exactly 40 miles from Evergreen or Centennial.
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=CO-67+N&hl=en&ll=39.254522,-105.221858&spn=0.016981,0.033088&sll=39.256814,-105.225248&sspn=0.016981,0.033088&geocode=FW73VgIdVl66-Q&mra=mr&t=m&z=15

Plan on running at least Metberry but hopefully one more if everyone is willing. Pack a lunch and a travel mug. I'll fire up the inverter and make some hot 100 Series Starbucks at lunch. You wouldn't expect anything less, would you? ;)
Deckers Store at 8:45am for a 9:15 departure. Should be fun! 146.46 is preferred, but not required. CB4 as a low quality, scratchy, barely readable back up :D

MDH33
11-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Sounds like fun. If you're going in a rig with low fuel capacity (like a 40, ask me how I know :o), take extra Fuel. I burned a full tank from Evergreen to Metberry and back to Pine Junction. There's no where to fuel up down there and I misjudged the length of the trail the first time I went, and I've never run more than Metberry in a day.

Fishy
11-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Good point. It's about 53 miles from the gas station to the end of the Metberry Gulch trail. From the end of Metberry, over to Hackett and back out is 9 miles. Then about 48 back to the gas station in Castle Pines.

Rock Dog
11-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Sounds like fun. If you're going in a rig with low fuel capacity (like a 40, ask me how I know :o), take extra Fuel. I burned a full tank from Evergreen to Metberry and back to Pine Junction. There's no where to fuel up down there and I misjudged the length of the trail the first time I went, and I've never run more than Metberry in a day.

I used to be able to top off in Sedalia, and run Metberry and Longwater and back in my 76 fj40 ... i did carry extra fuel, but dont recall using it...

There was one other gultch... Northrup.. the first one you come to if you are coming from the south, but it is really nothing that exciting (if if it even still open), and was just a great access for hiking...
I have not done Metberry since the Hayman fire wiped out the Cabin near the river... has anyone done it in the last year or so?

baja1d
11-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Sounds like fun.

Fishy
11-24-2012, 09:58 AM
I used to be able to top off in Sedalia, and run Metberry and Longwater and back in my 76 fj40 ... i did carry extra fuel, but dont recall using it...

There was one other gultch... Northrup.. the first one you come to if you are coming from the south, but it is really nothing that exciting (if if it even still open), and was just a great access for hiking...
I have not done Metberry since the Hayman fire wiped out the Cabin near the river... has anyone done it in the last year or so?

I did it twice last year. I had never done it before the fire so I don't have anything to compare it to. It's the only one that still goes all the way down to the river. It gives a real perspective to how big that fire was and it's interesting to see how an area regenerates itself after a massive burn. Some areas look like moonscape instead of Colorado.

Fishy
11-24-2012, 11:45 AM
I just updated the meeting time/place in the first post to make it easier for you Northsiders/Foothills guys who plan on attending.

Rzeppa
11-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Is Hackett passable again? The latest word I have (from several years ago) is that is was still massively washed out after Hayman. I saw some pictures the USFS had taken and the images showed that you wouldn't even be able to run it in a buggy with 46s.

I ran it the day after Turkey day in 2001, and to my knowledge, that was the last time anyone with RS had run it. Rob Merideth led that run, we crossed the platte and went back up via Longwater.

Crash
11-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Is Hackett passable again? The latest word I have (from several years ago) is that is was still massively washed out after Hayman. I saw some pictures the USFS had taken and the images showed that you wouldn't even be able to run it in a buggy with 46s.

I ran it the day after Turkey day in 2001, and to my knowledge, that was the last time anyone with RS had run it. Rob Merideth led that run, we crossed the platte and went back up via Longwater.

A great day. Was that the run that Hulk gave us all a thrill on Hackett Rock?

Fishy
11-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Is Hackett passable again?

Hackett, Longwater and Metberry all reopened in 2009. Only Metberry goes all the way down to the Platte. Hackett and Longwater are both closed at the county line and you have to turn around there. No river crossings anymore. I read somewhere about people going around the gate and down to the river illegally, so who knows how long until the FS says "no more".

We'll be turning around at the gate. The gate is after Hackett Rock as far as I know. There are plenty of recent YouTube videos and its certainly not buggy only material. I know a lot of trail work was done prior to the reopening, so it's probably easier now than it was before the fire.

Man Jerk
11-24-2012, 10:30 PM
I think are three are doable in stockish vehicles. The last time I went down hackett it was in a 1st gen 4runner on 31's with a rear locker and there was no drama. Coming up Hackett rock took a little finesse if I remember right.

And yes, all three are open. I'll ping the CLC forum on 'mud too!

Man Jerk
11-24-2012, 10:33 PM
It just occurred to me that this coincides with our annual tree cutting patrol for the forest service. No snow this year but I'm sure someone will get themselves in trouble.

Rzeppa
11-27-2012, 10:17 PM
A great day. Was that the run that Hulk gave us all a thrill on Hackett Rock?

I do not recall that he was on that run. I have pictures of you and many others, but not him. Rob's brother had an issue with the rock that day and barely made it up in his 2nd gen mini with 235s and torsion bar IFS. I gashed my left rear sidewall making it up the rock but kept going and didn't stop for a spare change until I was on sorta level ground well above the obstacle.

Rzeppa
11-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Hackett, Longwater and Metberry all reopened in 2009. Only Metberry goes all the way down to the Platte. Hackett and Longwater are both closed at the county line and you have to turn around there. No river crossings anymore. I read somewhere about people going around the gate and down to the river illegally, so who knows how long until the FS says "no more".

We'll be turning around at the gate. The gate is after Hackett Rock as far as I know. There are plenty of recent YouTube videos and its certainly not buggy only material. I know a lot of trail work was done prior to the reopening, so it's probably easier now than it was before the fire.

Okay...Hackett rock is near the beginning of the trail ,near the top. The gate is near the bottom, which would be around where I saw the images of the ginourmous washouts at the USFS meeting. My guess is that those washouts still exist. From what I saw, they would have required some REALLY large heavy equipment to deal with, or a small army with hand tools.

subzali
11-28-2012, 08:18 AM
All three are passable in Land Cruisers. I'd feel comfortable doing all 3 in my FJ40 with 31s and a rear locker. In fact I have done Metberry with CLC a couple years ago. I've done all 3 on my dirtbike twice in the past couple of years, and there's not really anything scary or worrisome in the way of obstacles. I think Hackett Rock is easier than it used to be (judging from reports years ago), Longwater Rock could be a little exciting because it's a little off-camber...

Here's the trip report from a couple years ago, Fishy has been there in his hundy more recently...
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5250&highlight=metberry

Red_Chili
11-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Darn, I'd love to go. Got a couple leftover antelope tags for Colorado though and that is the only weekend that works. :(

rockrod
11-28-2012, 02:45 PM
is this run open to 'non' RS members?

Rzeppa
11-28-2012, 04:28 PM

Yes, and even non-Toyota folks :thumb:

Fishy
11-28-2012, 08:21 PM

Absolutely! Is this your first run since the engine swap?

rockrod
11-29-2012, 06:05 AM
Absolutely! Is this your first run since the engine swap?

This would be the second run. The first was over Kingston this past spring.

Not sure we will be able to go. Weather could play a part, or just the usual family stuff of trying to parent 3 year old triplet boys who are in full-on overdrive. They don't like to sit still for long. My wife and I would like to dump them with the grand parents so that we can just take out 8 year old daughter so that she gets some time with us without the monsters.

Fishy
11-29-2012, 09:00 AM
This would be the second run. The first was over Kingston this past spring.

Not sure we will be able to go. Weather could play a part, or just the usual family stuff of trying to parent 3 year old triplet boys who are in full-on overdrive. They don't like to sit still for long. My wife and I would like to dump them with the grand parents so that we can just take out 8 year old daughter so that she gets some time with us without the monsters.

We're no stranger to multiples. Idendtical 4 yo girls and 5 yo boy. All 3 were in diapers at the same time...... makes me shiver a little just thinking back.

Fishy
12-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Looks like a chance for some light snow on Saturday. :thumb: That really doesn't change Metberry at all, except if the big slab is icey/slick. Of course, the weather may change by the time Saturday rolls around too.

Right now the plan is to run Metberry first, then depending on weather/vehicles/desires we'll look at running Hackett.

Is anyone planning on coming?

rockrod
12-03-2012, 06:00 AM
We are still a maybe...

JadeRunner
12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm in. It's been many years since I ran that with the club. Back in the old days.

If there is a small turnout now worries. We can try to blow through all 3 trails. Sounds fun.

I have my tcase leaks fixed and am sporting Slee's new front buggy quality coil-overs.

MountainGoat
12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
I talked the :Princess: into going on Saturday. We will have the kids with us, so we probably won't stay for all 3 gulches. :D

bgoodheart
12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I may try to make it out with the kiddos as well. Dan, we may bail early with you, as we have some early evening stuff planned.

BJ

Edit: no go for us, too much other stuff piling up and my first day home in a week before leaving again on Monday...bummer

Fishy
12-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Sounds like its gonna be fun! I'm open to running all 3 even if theres only a few of us left after Metberry. We might even be running in the snow.

If anyone is interested, I have a burrito spot not too far from the house that makes the best breakfast burritos in all the lands. I can grab burritos the morning of, we can wrap them in foil and engine heat them for lunch/breakfast. We should be to the bottom of Metberry by 11am or so.
Gonna be cold on Saturday so we may not want to have a long lunch at the river. I'll be grabbing one for myself and I don't mind grabbing a few extras. I think they're $5 each. Bacon, ham or chorizo with potato, egg and cheese. Soooo good, and plenty big.

Shoot me a PM if you want in on the burritos.

rockrod
12-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Gonna have to skip this trip due to a family issue in Phoenix.

Sorry guys.:(

Old40Dog
12-07-2012, 08:26 AM
We're in! Don't know about all three, will just play it by ear Saturday.

Fishy
12-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Looks like it's gonna be a good group! And, it looks as though the snow/ice might hold off until at least late in the day. Still gonna be cold though, bring your warm gear. Just a reminder.....

8:45 at Deckers Store. Hwy67 and Deckers Rd (Google map is in the first post of this thread) 9:15 departure for the Gulches. We'll run Metberry first with a stop at the bottom for lunch/hot coffee. The Deckers General Store will open at 9am, they have basic mountain town provisions, but no gas. You should leave your house with a full tank. We'll coordinate who will be running the other trails and who will bail after Metberry. Looks like there will be a few of each which means no one will be traveling solo off the trail.

Bring your camera, I'm working on a piece for Toyota Trails and we'll need some action shots and general shots of the area.

If you want a burrito, let me know before 7am tomorrow morning. I'll check this thread and my PM's right before I leave.

146.46 and/or CB4. I'll have both. :woot:

JadeRunner
12-07-2012, 08:13 PM
I woke his morning with a bad sore throat and cold but am feeling a little better and still plan to come.

I just managed to get my center skid plate on so I'm ready to go. When my tcases went back together they sit further forward somehow. So I had a heck of a time getting a bolt back in for the skid. Had to get a stud to complete the job. See you in the morning.

Fishy
12-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Had to get a stud to complete the job. See you in the morning.

I hope he didn't charge you too much ;)

MDH33
12-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Trip report with Pictures Please! :D

MountainGoat
12-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Uh oh. The natives are getting restless! ;)

Better get something going in the "Trip and Event Reports" section, Stan. :D