PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Valley OHV area at risk

Red_Chili
11-28-2012, 09:16 AM
I got the following from the UFWDA Land Use notification system:

http://www.ufwda.org/wp-content/themes/twentyten/images/ufwda-logo.png (http://www.benchmarkemail.com/c/l?u=1D1FE80&e=23AADD&c=48E9&t=0&l=5D3DC5E&email=%2Bcm2DPTjfz6rhdF24okN1HzBjzlZ2TJR)

Take Action to Protect 4WD Access

Johnson Valley, a popular OHV area in California, is at risk. The Marine Corps is trying to expand the 29 Palms facility and take over most of the OHV area for training exercises. The Marines would only need the extra space(147,000 acres) for less than 30 days a year. They plan to use the area for live-fire training, as a result, the area will be forever closed to OHV recreation.
An amendment to the Defense Authorization bill that passed the full House would require the Marines to identify the impact closing the area would have on OHV recreation and the local economy. The amendment requires the Marines to examine using the Johnson Valley area in ways that would not permanently lock out OHV access, and the potential of using other nearby public lands instead of Johnson Valley. This amendment only asks the Marines to consider other options.
The US Senate is poised to act on the Defense Authorization bill. Contact your 2 US Senators urging them to support the Johnson Valley amendment in the Senate bill.
While the area is in California, your US Senators will play a role in deciding the future of OHV recreation in Johnson Valley. Make your voice heard to protect access. Tomorrow it may be 4WD access in your state that is being threatened.
It is particularly important that you contact your Senator if listed below as this is the Senate Armed Services Committee involved in this issue specifically.
Levin, Carl (MI) , Chairman
Lieberman, Joseph I. (CT)
Reed, Jack (RI)
Akaka, Daniel K. (HI)
Nelson, Ben (NE)
Webb, Jim (VA)
McCaskill, Claire (MO)
Udall, Mark (CO)
Hagan, Kay R. (NC)
Begich, Mark (AK)
Manchin, Joe (WV)
Shaheen, Jeanne (NH)
Gillibrand, Kirsten E. (NY)
Blumenthal, Richard (CT)
McCain, John (AZ), Ranking Member
Inhofe, James M. (OK)
Sessions, Jeff (AL)
Chambliss, Saxby (GA)
Wicker, Roger F. (MS)
Brown, Scott P. (MA)
Portman, Rob (OH)
Ayotte, Kelly (NH)
Collins, Susan M. (ME)
Graham, Lindsey (SC)
Cornyn, John (TX)
Vitter, David (LA)

I wrote the following to Senator Udall, borrow at will. If you don't like the preamble, just don't read it - it's what I wrote, you don't have to.

Good Morning Senator Udall!

First of all, I want to express my delight with the election results, and let you know that the reason I changed party affiliation from Republican to Democrat was mostly due to the kind of true bipartisanship you exemplify - as opposed to the rigid extremism that seems to define the Republican Party in the last decade, especially so more recently. Add to that, environmental and social justice concerns, and ethically I simply could no longer be a Republican. Thank you for your typical stance to issues, and considering all sides with a view to the future and workable compromise.

An issue has arisen that truly requires your approach. Johnson Valley, a popular OHV area in California, is at risk. The Marine Corps is trying to expand the 29 Palms facility and take over most of the OHV area for training exercises. The Marines would only need the extra space(147,000 acres) for less than 30 days a year. They plan to use the area for live-fire training, as a result, the area will be forever closed to OHV recreation.

I understand the need for military training as a part of our defense strategy. But to summarily close an entire popular area to motorized recreation, which is fairly besieged by closures on all fronts (admittedly due in part to high impact use, but it seems that closure is the only remediation that occurs to so many land managers despite increasing volunteerism from OHV enthusiasts who care about the environment).

An amendment to the Defense Authorization bill that passed the full House would require the Marines to identify the impact closing the area would have on OHV recreation and the local economy. The amendment requires the Marines to examine using the Johnson Valley area in ways that would not permanently lock out OHV access, and the potential of using other nearby public lands instead of Johnson Valley. This amendment only asks the Marines to consider other options.

The US Senate is poised to act on the Defense Authorization bill. I urge you to support the Johnson Valley amendment in the Senate bill and to try to find a reasonable middle ground that both meets the needs of the Marines as well as preserving this tremendous OHV opportunity.

Thank you so much for your tireless work on our behalf!

http://www.markudall.senate.gov/?p=contact
click "Leave A Comment" button.