PDA

View Full Version : Learning the ropes...

Red_Chili
11-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Things went well on Nov. 10 & 11... my job is to take Sophie from Champion to Grand Champion. (CH. Blessing Sweet Symmetry, her registered name). My second show ever.

She makes it easy on a novice... she knows her job. The cool thing is, I can handle her a bit better than Lise - Sophie decided when she first met me that I was pretty cool. Probably had a lot to do with my eventual marriage to Lise... I passed the dog test. :thumb: :hill:

Believe me, it's harder than it looks.

http://redchili.smugmug.com/Other/Dog-shows/i-vJcr2tG/0/L/SophieBOB_PuebloNov2012002-L.jpg

P.S. we need a Misc category under Hobbies!

Red_Chili
11-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Sophie as a puppy... Lise took it with, believe it or not, a cell phone. This is the pic I put on our kennel cards.

http://redchili.smugmug.com/Other/Dog-shows/i-L69hPRv/0/L/BizCard-Sophie%20Grace-L.jpg

Puppies in about 65 days or so, with some luck. The next generation!

60wag
11-30-2012, 02:04 PM
How do you get her to stand like that?

Red_Chili
11-30-2012, 02:31 PM
She self stacks. Pick up her bottom and let her land. It's in the structure... as long as I don't screw her up by fiddling too much with her. Her half brother, Beau (Blessing High Regard) does the same when he isn't wiggling his butt with his wagging tail... :lmao:

Joy personified.

Which is good, because... Sophie is in heat and next week is graduation in the handling class, and the instructor asked that I not bring Sophie in - two young males in the class will go nutz. So I need to (real quick like!) work with Beau so he does as well as his sis.

Inukshuk
11-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Nice.

PhatFJ
12-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Congrats Bill!! that is awesome!!

Fishy
12-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Wow, that's great! How much time do you put in just practicing with the dogs?

nattybumppo
12-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Good dog! Good master!

Red_Chili
12-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Wow, that's great! How much time do you put in just practicing with the dogs?

A LOT. Taking a class now. Really shortens the learning curve. Taking the final tomorrow... with Beau who I haven't worked with. That will be tough...

RedCreeper
12-03-2012, 10:09 PM
nice job!

Just bite his ear. he will listen. lol

farnhamstj
12-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Nice Job Bill.

Red_Chili
12-06-2012, 10:52 AM
nice job!

Just bite his ear. he will listen. lol
She listens to me more than to my wife, LOL. The cross gender attachment dynamic seems to be true across species as well...

However for my final exam, I couldn't bring Sophie in (she is in heat and would drive the male puppies in the class NUTZ). So I brought in her half brother, an 18 month old who will do anything for his human mom but less for me.

I still made him toe the line, he and I both had fun, and we got first place in the class (and GREAT feedback from a good AKC judge, that was PRICELESS and you don't get it often).

Beau done good!