PDA

View Full Version : Moab Pre-Run/Trail Leader Training 3/15-3/17

JadeRunner
12-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Letís do our Moab Pre-Run\Trail Leader Training on the weekend of March 15th at Area BFE like we have in the past. I will plan to get in Thursday 3/14 before dark to setup camp and start a fire.

We can run trails Friday and Sat. Then hit a trail on the way out Sunday. We will plan to run multiple trails in a day and keep moving like we have in the past.

Our trail boss Jeff Zepp wonít be able to attend. However, with all the trail leader work he is doing early on he plans to have most of the trail leaders, trails and participants identified in advance of this weekend. We can let that information drive what we want to run and who needs to work on what etc. Gunner lists can also be worked on.

I personally look forward to this event every year running multiple trails all day and camping at BFE. It will be fun.

FJBRADY
12-03-2012, 11:21 AM
In

Inukshuk
12-03-2012, 09:20 PM
in (as much as one can be 4 months out)

baja1d
12-04-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm not sure that I'm experienced enough to be a trail leader but I'd like to go.

Air Randy
12-04-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm in, Dee may go too. We'll be taking the new motor home so we have room for 2 or 3 folks who want to share comfy accomodations, just help out with diesel fuel. Furnace, fridge, shower, toilet, coffee maker, microwave, HD satellite TV, now thats the way to do BFE!! :D

FJBRADY
12-04-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure that I'm experienced enough to be a trail leader but I'd like to go.

The more the merrier I say......plus we need less experienced to teach so you can lead/gun next year.:thumb:

I'm in, Dee may go too. We'll be taking the new motor home so we have room for 2 or 3 folks who want to share comfy accomodations, just help out with diesel fuel. Furnace, fridge, shower, toilet, coffee maker, microwave, HD satellite TV, now thats the way to do BFE!! :D

Nice, I'll will bring the fireball whiskey! Always a hit with the ladies.:hill:

JadeRunner
12-09-2012, 09:50 PM
[QUOTE=FJBRADY;222761]The more the merrier I say......plus we need less experienced to teach so you can lead/gun next year.:thumb:

I agree with Brady. Just keep in mind we will moving quickly through the trails.

JadeRunner
12-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Please note- I moved the date ahead one week to avoid the E.J.Safari. I'm pretty sure we don't want to go that weekend.

Beachboy
12-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Would you like the gunners to show up also?

JadeRunner
12-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Would you like the gunners to show up also?

Fair question. I didn't initially elaborate. But, gunners are very important and also invited. Leaders, gunners or anyone who wants to just come out and run trails are invited.

It's really just a club run in Moab open to all. It's just that most of us will be focusing on leader\gunner training and organization to make Cruise Moab as successful as possible.

baja1d
12-10-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm in.

Old40Dog
12-13-2012, 04:07 PM
In.

jonharis
12-31-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm in it. This was one of the highlights of my year last year. Great trails, great people. All the fun of CM without any of the riff raff.....well except that one guy. :cheers:

Romer
12-31-2012, 12:37 PM
I'll likely be there, Sarah maybe as well

Inukshuk
01-01-2013, 04:19 AM
I'm in it. This was one of the highlights of my year last year. Great trails, great people. All the fun of CM without any of the riff raff.....well except that one guy. :cheers:

He's going to be there again.

Don't forget the spare set of car keys.... :lmao:

jonharis
01-07-2013, 09:12 PM
He's going to be there again.

Don't forget the spare set of car keys.... :lmao:

Funny you mention that. I kept that long metal rod and actually used it a month or so ago when :Princess: locked her keys in her car at work. Worked like a charm. I'll be bringing it with me for sure.

Air Randy
01-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Thats my lucky tent stay that I found that we used to get into someone elses car the first time. It has good juju so dont lose it.:D

Rzeppa
01-10-2013, 06:20 PM
I currently have 103 leader/trail combos in the database. Among the things that have really started to shake out is that we have some trails with a bazillion people who can lead (Fins has about 30) and others where we are quite thin, such as Cliffhanger and Moab Rim, with 3 each, and Arches with just one. Bear in mind, these are just responses to my queries on this board, Wasatch and Book Cliff, plus the documented leaders I have from a couple of prior years. I expect to continue to add to that database between now and the prerun/training in March, but I expect to post up here which trails we are particularly thin on. In fact I will probably just do a chart showing the trail name and the number of leaders we have for that particular trail in the database.

Corbet
01-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Bridger and I will be there.

Hicntryflyguy
01-13-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm in, last year was a blast!:wrench::wrench: 4runner should be complete by then:thumb:

baja1d
01-27-2013, 03:08 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I think the 40 maybe ready to roll. I'm hoping to drive her up for this so I'll be tenting it unless there is still space in the coach!

Romer
02-10-2013, 12:40 PM
I'll likely be there, Sarah maybe as well

I got locked on the title of the thread and didn't catch it was moved a week. Thats before Sarah's Spring Break so it may be a challenge for us to make it. If we do go, it willo be getting in late Thursday and likely staying at a Hotel as I don't want to worry about camp at midnight

Corbet
02-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Getting closer. I can have a fire going before dark. Looks like there are 3 vehicles from Durango currently planning on attending. I need to start digging out the camper pretty soon.

FJBRADY
02-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Bummer: I have to cancel this trip. I was planning on moving the end of March but my place is available mid month during this trip, life wins again.

Send back plenty of pictures, lately all I do is web wheel (I used to be in all the pictures):ranger:.

Fishy
02-25-2013, 04:16 PM
What's the actual dates now? I might be a last minute add-on.

JadeRunner
02-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Sorry you can't make it Brady. You will be missed.

3/15/13 is the date.

baja1d
02-27-2013, 08:06 AM
I hate to say it but I'm switching shifts at work & may have to back out of the training. I'll let you know...

Old40Dog
02-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Bummer: I have to cancel this trip. I was planning on moving the end of March but my place is available mid month during this trip, life wins again.

Send back plenty of pictures, lately all I do is web wheel (I used to be in all the pictures):ranger:.

Sorry to hear Steve! Does that open up a spot in the coach for someone?

FJBRADY
02-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Sorry you can't make it Brady. You will be missed.

3/15/13 is the date.

Thanks buddy, hoist a :beer: for me.

That did not take long.:)

Old40Dog
02-28-2013, 07:53 AM
If you have an SWR Meter for Hamm that you can bring to the Pre-Run post up. We can do a quick antenna tune up on site to help your radio performance.

Corbet has offered to bring his CB SWR.

Air Randy
03-01-2013, 04:18 PM

It does

Old40Dog
03-01-2013, 04:31 PM

It does

Maybe one of the last minute guys like Stan or Travis can jump in on that.

Fishy
03-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Maybe one of the last minute guys like Stan or Travis can jump in on that.

I can't tell you how much I'd like in. Back surgery yesterday will keep me off my feet and out of my truck for a while. There is a real possiblity I won't even be able to make CM13 now. One bonus.... percocet :eek:

Have fun and be safe!

FJCDan
03-02-2013, 11:01 AM
I can't tell you how much I'd like in. Back surgery yesterday will keep me off my feet and out of my truck for a while. There is a real possiblity I won't even be able to make CM13 now. One bonus.... percocet :eek:

Have fun and be safe!

Hey Stan, Hope your surgery went well and be up and running soon. Dan:):thumb:

Air Randy
03-05-2013, 11:07 AM
The long range weather forecast for Moab is looking favorable so far. Between now and the 14th the daily highs are mid 50's and average lows are upper 20's to low 30's. No major precipitation showing and it is supposed to be upper 60's to low 70's daytime temps on the 14th. A little warmer at night too. Hopefully that warm, dry weather carrys forward for the balance of the weekend too.

JadeRunner
03-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Whew. Just a week or so away. Glad the weather is looking good. My friend Dan will be with me this year. He likes me to drive fast and take chances. But, that's not gonna happen. I did fix the air leak on my front locker. So that's working now. And I'm in the middle of fixing a real axle seal leak. I should have that done by the meeting tomorrow. We plan to arrive just before dark Thursday pm 3/14/13 (encase anyone is confused on the date).

I will talk to Zepp and figure out who he has identified for trail leaders and what trails he may need us to check out. People need to know what trails they are leading. So we can start talking about who needs to run what and put some plans together.

I know Dave K. and I will want to visit the lot next to slick rock at put a site plan together. I usually like to run flat Iron Mesa, which is across from BFE like we did last year. I want to run that at CM perhaps next year so we will need some leaders for it.

More to come.

Air Randy
03-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Were planning to leave Thursday mid-morning so barring weather across the passes or other issues, we should be there by early evening too. Since we'll have the motor home and trailer we'll have to setup on the top area near the entrance. This thing has zero ground clearance so it's doubtful we could come down and setup where the bon fire was.

JadeRunner
03-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Oh my. I'm glad you said something. Darn, your going to change the entire camp spot.

Were planning to leave Thursday mid-morning so barring weather across the passes or other issues, we should be there by early evening too. Since we'll have the motor home and trailer we'll have to setup on the top area near the entrance. This thing has zero ground clearance so it's doubtful we could come down and setup where the bon fire was.

Rzeppa
03-05-2013, 07:22 PM
I know Dave K. and I will want to visit the lot next to slick rock at put a site plan together.

As I mentioned before, I have a 200 foot tape measure that's super handy for stuff like that. Let me know if you need to borrow it.

Air Randy
03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Oh my. I'm glad you said something. Darn, your going to change the entire camp spot.

If you guys want to camp on the bottom in the trees, go ahead. We can drive the Meanie down there in the evenings to hang out and then go back up top to go to bed. But it will mean you'll have to come up top to get hot coffee in the morning, or use the microwave, or take a shower, or just get warm. :D

Hicntryflyguy
03-06-2013, 02:48 AM
I also will be rolling in Thursday evening. A quick shot of the 4runner as it sits now.

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/4runner-1.jpg

JadeRunner
03-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Yes, Jeff - bring your tape to the meeting if you can. Mine is only 100ft.

As I mentioned before, I have a 200 foot tape measure that's super handy for stuff like that. Let me know if you need to borrow it.

JadeRunner
03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
It will be nice to see you back again. That thing is loaded.

I also will be rolling in Thursday evening. A quick shot of the 4runner as it sits now.

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/4runner-1.jpg

JadeRunner
03-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks Randy. I do believe it is a lot nicer down in the trees at our normal spot. We just wouldn't want to miss you guys for the social aspect.

If you guys want to camp on the bottom in the trees, go ahead. We can drive the Meanie down there in the evenings to hang out and then go back up top to go to bed. But it will mean you'll have to come up top to get hot coffee in the morning, or use the microwave, or take a shower, or just get warm. :D

spcruiser
03-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Hey guys sorry for the late comfirmation I will be joining you again this year, Sara is deep in school so she and the girls won't be making the trip. Looking forward to running with you guys and helping out where I can. Should be arriving Thursday afternoon.

Old40Dog
03-07-2013, 11:35 PM
The Cruise Moab Committee will be providing breakfasts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for all attendees! See ya at BFE.:camping:

Romer
03-08-2013, 11:21 AM
You guys have fun.

Old40Dog
03-08-2013, 11:02 PM
You guys have fun.

:( We'll miss ya! ---- And we will! :)

jonharis
03-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Lookin good! I probably won't make it till Saturday afternoon/evening. To much to do on the truck and packing for the week. Keep me away from the whiskey this year! :cheers:

AxleIke
03-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Hey all,

I'm getting a cargo cover from gahi, who lives out in Moab.

Would anyone be willing to meet up with him and bring it back with them to Denver? It is just a piece of canvas.

I'm waiting to pay him until I can see if I need to add shipping or not.

Thanks dudes!

akingf5371
03-11-2013, 12:01 PM
So, I wont' be able to make it until Friday night. I've never been to Moab or done a trail run before, what do I need to bring/do? You can PM if you want!

JadeRunner
03-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I can bring it back for ya. How will he get it to me?

Hey all,

I'm getting a cargo cover from gahi, who lives out in Moab.

Would anyone be willing to meet up with him and bring it back with them to Denver? It is just a piece of canvas.

I'm waiting to pay him until I can see if I need to add shipping or not.

Thanks dudes!

JadeRunner
03-11-2013, 03:54 PM
We are camping at area BFE. When you get to BFE go straight through the first parking lot down to the 2nd parking lot. Then back behind the 2nd lot and to the right a little into the trees. You will see us all camping.

Bring your camping gear, food and water. You will want to make sandwiches in the morning to be able to stay out all day. It will get chilly in the evening.

We will put a plan together once everyone is there as to what trails we will be running. Some will run multiple hard trails pretty fast. Some will want to just review trails they will be leading and some will be taking it casual.

If you don't have a Charles Well book of Moab. I suggest getting one ASAP and familiarizing yourself with the trails.

I know our yearly challenge is to get more leaders for some of the harder trails like Moab Rim, Cliff Hanger and the Golden Spike. I was thinking of running Moab Rim and Cliff Hanger in one day since they are across from each other. Hopefully some people will be interested in training to lead those. Golden Spike has that new trail in it Where Eagles Dare that threw me off last year. If we have time we should run that. Granted that's a 3/4 day even when going fast.

So, I wont' be able to make it until Friday night. I've never been to Moab or done a trail run before, what do I need to bring/do? You can PM if you want!

AxleIke
03-11-2013, 04:18 PM
I can bring it back for ya. How will he get it to me?

Thanks a million!!

I'll be in touch with him and you via PM, and see if we can't work out the details.

Cheers!

Corbet
03-11-2013, 10:46 PM

Weather looks great but plan on overnight temps around freezing. Area BFE is probably 1000' higher than town so temps will be colder there at night. Make sure you have a camp chair for the fire. Generally everyone brings one bundle of fire wood for the cause.

Make sure you have good instructions to locate BFE as its dark out there and easy to miss the turn off. http://www.areabfe.com/location/

akingf5371
03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Weather looks great but plan on overnight temps around freezing. Area BFE is probably 1000' higher than town so temps will be colder there at night. Make sure you have a camp chair for the fire. Generally everyone brings one bundle of fire wood for the cause.

Make sure you have good instructions to locate BFE as its dark out there and easy to miss the turn off. http://www.areabfe.com/location/

Awesome, I'm fired up! I usually only backpack, so all my camping gear is stuff for that. A few questions, does anyone bring their wives usually? I ask because I was planning on inviting the GF, but wasn't sure what the protocol is. Also, are their showers/restrooms at BFE? I've never been and not sure what to expect. Also, what do we do for dinner? Is everyone on their own or what?

Cheeseman
03-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Alas I won't be making it this year. My troubled knee won't be ready for all the fun. This training event has been great for the club and for Cruise Moab over the years. I first organized this event for CruiseMoab trail leaders in 1999 and it has been going strong every since. Good on you all for making the effort to go and learn trails. This is one of the biggest efforts that makes CruiseMoab such a great trail ride for those who come to us to see this great slickrock country. But truth be told it really goes like this "Darn the bad luck, gotta go to Moab!"

JadeRunner
03-12-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry you wont be able to make it Greg. I know you love this event.

We will do our best to carry on the tradition.

Alas I won't be making it this year. My troubled knee won't be ready for all the fun. This training event has been great for the club and for Cruise Moab over the years. I first organized this event for CruiseMoab trail leaders in 1999 and it has been going strong every since. Good on you all for making the effort to go and learn trails. This is one of the biggest efforts that makes CruiseMoab such a great trail ride for those who come to us to see this great slickrock country. But truth be told it really goes like this "Darn the bad luck, gotta go to Moab!"

JadeRunner
03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Yes, wives and girlfriends are common and welcomed. It's primitive camping. No showers or toilets.

Some people like myself like to go out to dinner after the run, some people cook at camp. Nothing organized. We keep it loose. Except this year Dave and his wife will be providing breakfast burros' courtesy of CM. We all hook for at the central fire in the evening to discuss trails, the event and how we can become better leaders and gunners.

Awesome, I'm fired up! I usually only backpack, so all my camping gear is stuff for that. A few questions, does anyone bring their wives usually? I ask because I was planning on inviting the GF, but wasn't sure what the protocol is. Also, are their showers/restrooms at BFE? I've never been and not sure what to expect. Also, what do we do for dinner? Is everyone on their own or what?

Corbet
03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
are their showers/restrooms at BFE?

Most of us pack portable toilets. Burying waste is frowned upon in the desert. There will also be a few children in the group. I'll probably take my boy to the rec center in town one night for a swim and shower.

Hicntryflyguy
03-13-2013, 04:13 AM
Well with a broke driver side CV shaft and a chipped ring and pinion :eek: in the front I won't be able to make this run! :mad: I will instead be wrenching like a fool to get ready for the Book Cliff Cruisers Swell run. Have fun and make sure you keep the sticky side down! :thumb: See you at CM!!

:cheers:

Matt

farnhamstj
03-13-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm in!

See you there.

JadeRunner
03-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Sorry to hear you can't make it Matt.

Farnham, I was hopping you could make it. Look forward to see you again.

akingf5371
03-13-2013, 01:36 PM
I'lll get in late Friday and be there all Sat and whatever we do on Sunday. I reserved a cabin at the KOA campgrounds so that the :Princess: has a shower and toilet. She has never really camped before, so this is a slow introduction to that. I don't have a CB in my 4Runner or 40. Should I get a portable one or wait and shop around? Does someone have one I could borrow?

Fishy
03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm guessing you don't have a HAM, so it's probably a good idea to pick up a CB. You can grab a hand held off CL for cheap.

JadeRunner
03-13-2013, 02:49 PM
You will definitely want at least a CB. If you can find time to install a proper antenna that would be very valuable. Then you could use a cheap handheld until you can install a proper radio. I do know that the rubber ducky antenna on my handheld CB was worthless inside my 4runner. I had to get a window mount antenna just to use it. And it didn't go far. I just looked and I don't have it any more or I would lend it to you.

Fishy
03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I should have been more specific. I don't keep my CB in the truck all the time because I have the HAM. But, my handheld has a tall mag mount antenna that I just stick on the roof for runs, then remove it when I'm done.

Works great and no one ever complains about the quality of my transmissions.

gahi
03-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Remember Saturday is the Marathon, and HWY 128 will be closed from town up the river. From 8 - 1pm

Corbet
03-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Almost ready to go.

akingf5371
03-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Headed out in a few hours! Looking forward to it!!