PDA

View Full Version : FS: Wornick MREs

DaveInDenver
12-07-2012, 10:19 AM
I have almost 4 full cases (3 unopened, one missing from the fourth) of MREs. These are the real deal, Wornick USGI surplus. Packed Sept 6, 2007 and there are two cases of plan A and two of plan B, thus all 24 menus from the 2007 MREs (minus 1). They have the individual heaters, all the condiments, the whole 9 yards.

The menus:
http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/menus-xxvii-2007.html

Missing is one meal, #22, from the B set. This was chicken and dumplings, ate it about a month ago and it was fine.

$40 per case, rather not break them up into individuals.

nakman
12-07-2012, 11:56 AM
How many meals are in one case? And how long do these things last?

wesintl
12-07-2012, 12:11 PM
should be 12.

I would have been all over it but right now is not a good time for me :(

nakman
12-07-2012, 12:19 PM
I think they'll make great stocking stuffers... :) :santa: I'm good for a box, Dave, let me know when you're headed south again.

DaveInDenver
12-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Yes, Wes is right. There are 12 MREs in each case, so there are 47 total (48 - 1). There would be two of each menu, 24 different meals IOW, with the exception of chicken & dumplings (#22), there's only one of those since I ate one.

Each meal will have a main, a side or bread, dessert and condiments (like mini bottles of Tabasco and stuff), and a drink. You can see the different meals in the link in the first post. It really is fairly complete from a menu standpoint. All four cases would be about a month and half worth of food with a decent variety (e.g. 2,000 calories per day for 47 days).

Nakman, any preference between the 'A' (meals 1 through 12) and 'B' (meals 13 through 24) slate? Notice that they are all lunch/dinner meals and no breakfasts. They can be used individually, each bag has a flameless heater (you pour in a little water to start the reaction). BTW, each MRE weighs about 2 lbs and you only need water and a place to set the MRE that can tolerate the heat (e.g. a rock).

The military specifies that MREs last 3 years when stored at 80F. These are now just over 5 years old and have been stored at 55~60F in a cool, basement and out of direct sunlight. I started with about twice this many but we just don't eat them as fast as I thought. At this rate they'd be a decade old by the time we might finish them, so gotta move them on. Point is that they probably should be consumed sooner rather than later.

wesintl
12-07-2012, 12:27 PM
you want to sell all 4 case to one individual?

I'm sure Michelle is going to be real happy with an MRE in her stocking :D

DaveInDenver
12-07-2012, 12:46 PM
If someone wanted all of them I would make them a deal. You know, honestly, an enterprising person could break them open and sell them for $5 a piece like at a gun show or eBay or something.

Fishy
12-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Man...... MRE's bring back some memories for me. Remember, Tabasco makes everything taste better. 30 days of nothing but MRE's will lock you up tighter than a snare drum.

They are handy to have around though, and the heaters work really well. I remember some of them being pretty tasty. Turkey and Noodles, Turkey ala King, Turkey and Rice..... all pretty good. The bread is pretty good too. Ham and Eggs was a let down, and you'd never be able to trade that one away. But, Marines will pretty much eat anything, so we all survived!

DaveInDenver
12-07-2012, 12:54 PM
The heaters are a thing of beauty and fun for science class. Now students, what happens when you add H2O to Mg + NaCl? You get a mildly violent exothermic oxygen reductive reaction. A ration heater is about the only thing that 'rusts' faster than a FJ40.

nakman
12-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Less time cookin' means more time for other things, I'm taking a box camping. :D

edit: Dave, only preference would be whichever kit didn't contain peanut butter, which appears to include menus 11, 13, 14, and 19- so the fewer of those the better.

DaveInDenver
12-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Less time cookin' means more time for other things, I'm taking a box camping. :D

edit: Dave, only preference would be whichever kit didn't contain peanut butter, which appears to include menus 11, 13, 14, and 19- so the fewer of those the better.
The 'A' is the better choice, just one a menu 11 with the PB and crackers that you can toss.

nakman
12-07-2012, 02:58 PM
The 'A' is the better choice, just one a menu 11 with the PB and crackers that you can toss.

Right on, thanks. And no need to toss em, just don't feed them to Gavin or Paxton.. :D

Who else is getting a box? C'mon, let's do MRE Night. :camping: :campfire:

corsair23
12-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Right on, thanks. And no need to toss em, just don't feed them to Gavin or Paxton.. :D

True biz!!! :D

I must say I am intrigued by this...A case or two would go great in the bomb shelter...if I had one :hill: - I'm tempted just 'cuz I've led a sheltered life and never eaten a MRE :)

wesintl
12-07-2012, 05:55 PM
The new ones are good unless you have to eat them for a month plus. The ones from the 70s-80s were friggin nasty

I'd def take a case or two but can't do it til jan

corsair23
12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
I'd def take a case or two but can't do it til jan

So what you are saying is that I should buy 2 cases, and let one age for a month in my garage and sell it to you in January? :hill:

FJ_Mark
12-07-2012, 08:19 PM
I will take two. One A and one B if they are still available.

DaveInDenver
12-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Sounds good Mark.

Nakman - 1 of A
FJ Mark - 1 each of A and B

That leaves an open box of B with 11 of 12. Jeff? You can try one and move the other 10 to Wes. Or outfit your 80 Mad Max style.

Have to figure out a time to deliver. We're up north in Loveland now.

nakman
12-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Jeff you crack me up... "never had an MRE" actually made my list as well. :lmao:

You're welcome to try one of mine if you want- or just split that last 11 pack with Wes!

RLMS
12-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Ill take 2 boxes!!
PM me your paypal
Justin

DaveInDenver
12-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Justin, there is only one case (the opened one) still available. Do you want that one?

DaveInDenver
01-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Still have one box, opened with 11 of 12 meals, that I need gone. $20 and I'd go cheaper if you pick it up...

frontrange
01-23-2013, 04:08 PM
I had one left over from nearly 30 years ago a while back. Still good believe it or not.