PDA

View Full Version : Ecamper

60wag
12-09-2012, 07:15 AM
I saw one of these in town yesterday. It's nice to see another pop-top in production. Too bad they aren't making a 80/100 Cruiser version.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0904_honda_element_ecamper/viewall.html

DaveInDenver
12-09-2012, 08:27 AM
These Ecampers have been around for a couple of years, a modern version of a Westfalia VW bus. Would be pretty cool if Honda offered the Element in a 4x4 version. I personally think a VW Synchro Westfalia is conceptually just about right.

spectre6000
12-09-2012, 11:07 AM
The Element was offered in AWD, but it's not quite the same.

You'd be very surprised what a stock 2WD bus will get you through.... 10.5" of clearance and reduction boxes from the factory in the rear. Some tall knobbly tires will go pretty far. There's an annual event in Arizona (I think) called the Shasta Run; split buses only, lots of rough terrain, lots of snow. It's always surprising what they can do.

Having lived out of a non-poptop VW for weeks at a go, I can tell you the only thing it may have been missing is a poptop for the ability to stand up while putting on pants (a young back took the edge off that handily though). I tried camping in a 3rd gen 4Runner and it was the biggest disappointment in recent memory.

CO Hunter
12-09-2012, 02:49 PM
.... I tried camping in a 3rd gen 4Runner and it was the biggest disappointment in recent memory.

How so? I have been casually keeping an eye out for a 3rd gen as I am considering downsizing in the next year.

Squishy!
12-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I know at 6' I can't sleep in one stretched out. The seat bottoms even thought folded up interfere enough with the room to make it super uncomfortable. I went roof top tent

spectre6000
12-09-2012, 05:08 PM
In my bus, despite a wheel base identical to that of the minuscule Beetle, I had a bed between a full size and a queen in the back, room for the dog (and easily another) under the foot of said bed, space for a good sized bag next to the bed, space for a small dresser at the foot of the bed, and space for all sorts of stuff in the front seat and footwell. Everyone slept very well.

In the 4Runner, thinking it's a bigger vehicle and only a weekend versus multiple weeks, we could barely fit our stuff in the front seats (and had to dig to get to anything) and my massive self (5'6" and 160 lbs), my huge wife (5'5" and 115 lbs) and enormous wolfhound (all 50 lbs of him) were EXTREMELY cramped in every direction. No winks were had by anyone involved.

CO Hunter
12-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'll keep it mind.

L43dean
12-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Type II with swing axle reduction gears, Yeah Man! My Dad had a new '64. Went camping for a month at a time (I mean Overlanding). It was green and white. Now I drive a Hi-Lux with Wildernest, Dave too! Old Transporters and Buses have got a bit more ground clearance as stated earlier. Who is gonna design a lift for the Element? Probably easier to mount an RTT onto your KubelWagen. Just the same, good to see Ecamper thinking and building outside the box. Others are doing similar with the new Jeeps. "You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house".

spectre6000
12-13-2012, 09:56 AM
It is very much in our plans to acquire another early bus (or two or three) in the not-too-distant future. We went coast to coast in our '62, and it was the best vehicle I've ever had in every way. I'm hoping the new 40 can deliver the same level of enjoyment.