PDA

View Full Version : Broken hearted

Fishy
12-14-2012, 06:38 PM
My heart aches for the poor families of those children in Connecticut. I wasn't even able to make it at work. I came home and held my children like someone was trying to steal them from me. And, how do I reply to them when they ask "why are you crying?"

I came on here hoping to get my mind away from it, but it literally consumes me to the point that I feel like writing about it. Christmas is 10 days away. Gifts are bought, wrapped and hidden just waiting for the special moment that we, as parents, can sneak them under the tree. I cannot imagine what those parents are going through, and what lies ahead for them.

I lost my sister when I was just 10 and she was almost 5. That was almost 30years ago now, but it seems like yesterday. I know what it does to a family. My children are my life. They are the basis of everything I do and every decision I make. I simply couldn't fathom life without them. Not really sure what I expected from starting a thread like this. Maybe only to find solace in everyone else feeling the same way.

wesintl
12-14-2012, 07:20 PM
being married to an educator and having kids in elem school i just cannot imagine...

corsair23
12-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Well said Stan...well said

I'm not sure what anyone can say at a time like this :(

Rezarf
12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Stan I hear you, I cried a lot today... especially when I saw my boy burst into laughter and squeels when I got home from work. May God, family and friends comfort those who lost their most precious family members. The wickedness of it, makes me sick to my stomach.

This is one of the saddest days in our nations history.

L43dean
12-14-2012, 09:03 PM
A sad tragedy.

Lars
12-14-2012, 09:33 PM
It is beyond comprehension. I don't have kids, but have two nephews that I have an amazing relationship with. My mind can not phantom what they are dealing with.

Jacket
12-15-2012, 07:37 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to talk to my kids about this. I've got a 5th grader and a 3rd grader - young enough to believe that the world is full of widespread goodness but old enough to understand death. When I saw them yesterday after they got off the bus, my daughter told me "you look sad Dad." I couldn't bring myself to open up the conversation and try to explain how something like this happens and yet reassure her that she is still safe.

At this point I don't know if I should talk to her about what happened, since she will probably hear about it one way or another next week at school, or leave it be and hope that the story doesn't make it down to her.

I'm not ready to politicize any of it yet; I'm just mad and sad.

rover67
12-15-2012, 10:25 AM
It makes me really angry. I just don't understand.

ScaldedDog
12-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Whenever things like this happen, I'm always reminded of a line from Springsteen's Nebraska: "I guess there's just a meanness in this world." It's as good an explanation as there is IMHO.

Mark

PabloCruise
12-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Stan,
Thanks for posting.
Not sure why Woody moves those threads away somewhere out of site on MUD. I think MUD is a fine site, but if I can't process something like what happened on Friday there w/ Land Cruiser peers, then the site becomes less relevant to me.

I cannot imagine losing my little sister. Wow.
Thanks again for posting. I have been doing some thinking about this over the weekend.

Caribou Sandstorm
12-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Stan, thanks for sharing your thoughts and I am sorry for your families loss.

It is hard to put into words what losing a child is like, my heart goes out to your parents. Unfortunately, I also know. When things like this happen it hits home here at our house and brings up a lot of emotions.

I am a different person since our loss and those parents in Newtown will never be the same. That community will never be the same. At least these families have each other, the community and the whole country for support through this dark time.

They are now part of a silent club that no one ever wants to belong to.

It is really hard to celebrate the wonder and cheer the holidays bring with this news but it is also great to have a community like Rising Sun to lean on when senseless acts like this occur.

I stopped by our holiday party on Saturday and it felt really nice to see those present and the sense of community we have together.

God bless these families and our rising sun community.

Fishy
12-17-2012, 11:21 AM
They are now part of a silent club that no one ever wants to belong to.

Chris, I'm so sorry to hear that. The "silent club" is such an painful but true way to describe it. It is so visceral and primal for us as humans to want to protect children. All children, not just our own. This ordeal has literally shaken me to my core. The mixed emotions of being so thankful for my own children, yet the almost guilty feeling of being able to hold them, laugh with them and watch them grow when I know there are others who just lost that opportunity.

It's a stark reminder that once you've been through such a deep loss, the pain and darkness of it never goes away. You just learn that it's there and keep moving it around to continue on with life. Until something so overwhelming like this forces you to overcome it again. In just a few weeks the media frenzy of this will be over. Most of us will be back to our normal life routines. But, those families will be just 14 days removed from burying 6 and 7year old children. It's a long road ahead.

nakman
12-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Last night when the President interrupted the Sunday Night game, we ended up watching the whole speech. Was really powerful when he named each kid towards the end... dang. Our kids got a lot of extra hugs this weekend..

Inukshuk
12-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Threads like this, man, :risingsun