PDA

View Full Version : Quick Yankee Hill run Wed. 12/19

JadeRunner
12-18-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm thinking of a half day run of Yankee Hill tomorrow. Say 9:30 am at the trailhead for a few hours. I need to head back around lunch time.

Any takers?

smslavin
12-18-2012, 08:54 AM
possibility of the weather being messy...

rover67
12-18-2012, 09:15 AM
possibility of the weather being messy...

INDEED!!!! That's the idea :D

Not sure if I can make this... Gotta hammer before taking next week off.

Uncle Ben
12-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Man I want too! Today is wifey's last day at work for the year so she might not be OK with me leaving her on her first day of Christmas break..... If I can I will be there....

Caribou Sandstorm
12-18-2012, 09:34 AM
hmmmm tempting...Planning on skiing at MJ but this could be fun..

Scott, did you get the new springs installed yet?

smslavin
12-18-2012, 11:03 AM
INDEED!!!! That's the idea :D

i assumed. :thumb:

if i wasn't on the phone all day tomorrow, again, i'd be up for this.

JadeRunner
12-18-2012, 12:00 PM
hmmmm tempting...Planning on skiing at MJ but this could be fun..

Scott, did you get the new springs installed yet?

I haven't picked up the ToyTec rear springs yet.

Come on Chris. You don't want to battle the traffic. I'm thinking an easy drive up Clear Creek Canyon should avoid any traffic headaches.

I will plan to be there at the cemetery at 9:30am. If no one can make it I understand. I will take an mellow stroll up a little ways then turn around.

Fishy
12-18-2012, 01:29 PM
I am a total 50-50 right now to be there at the start. The twins have a pre-school Christmas show at 0900.....providing it doesn't get cancelled because of the snow. If that's the case, I'll be there at 0930. If the show is on, I'll leave right from Greenwood Village around 0930-0945 and be up there shortly after depending on traffic.

You'll be on 146.46? Or a mountain repeater? It's such a maze back there and I've only been there once. I don't really know my way around.

baja1d
12-18-2012, 02:01 PM
No can do but I'll be available late morning for a rescue mission.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

No HAM but cell is 72o-987-42o2

JadeRunner
12-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the rescue mission offer Travis. Stan, if you have to leave GV at 9:30 then I will miss you since it would probably take you over an hour+ to get up there. Plus I may not be wheeling long.

Fishy
12-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the rescue mission offer Travis. Stan, if you have to leave GV at 9:30 then I will miss you since it would probably take you over an hour+ to get up there. Plus I may not be wheeling long.

If the girls show is cancelled, I'll be there at 0930. If not, I'll stay home and shovel........unless anyone else will be out? I'd want to head home by 1pm either way.

The Weather Bug app on my phone went into alarm for a blizzard warning until 8pm tomorrow night. If Cherry Creek SD has a snow day, I'll be there.

Uncle Ben
12-18-2012, 02:54 PM
If the girls show is cancelled, I'll be there at 0930. If not, I'll stay home and shovel........unless anyone else will be out? I'd want to head home by 1pm either way.

The Weather Bug app on my phone went into alarm for a blizzard warning until 8pm tomorrow night. If Cherry Creek SD has a snow day, I'll be there.

That could be an issue for me too if I actually have to plow....not sure I remember how...might take a while! :rolleyes:

FJCDan
12-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Scott I am in no work tommorrow see you at 9:30. guess I better get the truck ready now so I do not have to do it in the morning.

Fishy
12-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Gonna be C-C-C-C-COLD and W-W-W-WINDY! Perfect for getting out! I'll check the thread first thing and look for any updates.

What time do you think you'll be off the trail and done for the day?

Caribou Sandstorm
12-18-2012, 09:33 PM
I am out, have fun, Scott I am up for another one of these, if you get the itch...

Uncle Ben
12-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Gonna be C-C-C-C-COLD and W-W-W-WINDY! Perfect for getting out! I'll check the thread first thing and look for any updates.

What time do you think you'll be off the trail and done for the day?

That's a loaded question!

Fishy
12-18-2012, 10:14 PM
That's a loaded question!

;) what I meant was...... If everything goes right, and no one needs to be rescued, and the day goes as planned, and I can't get out there til 1030, is everyone gonna be going home by 1100?

I guess I could always stop off at Ameristar and play a few hands....... Or just throw some money out my window into the snow. Same result, less hassle. :o

JadeRunner
12-18-2012, 10:23 PM
I will need to turn around and head back down at noon. That should put me home in Applewood\Golden around 2pm I figure. Thursday would have been a better day in terms of snow. But, I can't do it that day.

treerootCO
12-19-2012, 04:33 AM
Snowing in Boulder...hasn't made it to Dub Town yet.

Uncle Ben
12-19-2012, 06:51 AM
It's beautiful outside! Yay snow!!!! I'm in like Flynn......headed out to grab my trailer right now.... :thumb::woot::woot:

FJCDan
12-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Truck is ready to go and so am I. It will be cold but so what!!!

Fishy
12-19-2012, 07:39 AM
School is still on for the kids. Everyone heading home at noon?

subzali
12-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Take pictures and video!

Uncle Ben
12-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the excuse Scott! That was fun! Wildrice is very full of snow....garage is going to be a mess later! :D Dang good thing I put the winter top and doors on! :lmao:

Fishy
12-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the excuse Scott! That was fun! Wildrice is very full of snow....garage is going to be a mess later! :D Dang good thing I put the winter top and doors on! :lmao:

Sure was fun! I couldn't believe how much snow I brought home with me.... I must have knocked 20 lbs of snow and ice off my truck before I pulled in the garage. Still plenty packed in there that will make the garage floor nice and nasty! :thumb:

A 40, 100, FJ and a 4Runner, not bad for a last minute ride in snow. The outside air temp showed 8 in my truck at the trailhead. Thanks for the invite Yoder!

subzali
12-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Alright - pictures for those of us stuck in a cubicle! :rant:

Fishy
12-19-2012, 04:48 PM
I didn't get many. I think Dan got a few.

JadeRunner
12-19-2012, 05:09 PM
I guess I'll post a trip report here since others are.

Thanks for coming Dan, Kevin and Stan. Dan and I left the parking lot at 9:50. No sign of Uncle Ben. There was only about 4" of snow. We blazed up to the playground and where there was more snow. I made a half hearted attempt at the famous snow berm and got stuck. Out came the strap for the first time in a long while. We played around there for a while. I took Dan down the hill on the back side and got stuck again trying to back out. We got back on the main trail and headed up. I heard from Stan on the 460. He was at I70\6th.

On the kinda long hill I was having to make multiple attempts to get up. Then came Uncle Ben. I scooted around us with ease and looked real happy. We continued on up to Yankee Hill proper at timberline. There was about a foot of snow or so. Kevin was trying his best to get up Yankee hill and was denied. We drove up and around. I got stuck a few more times trying to get through a few drifts.

Stan managed to follow our tracks all the way up. We met him as we came off the top of Yankee Hill. He also looked real happy. We headed down. Kevin and Dan decided to take a tight side road down to the berm\playground. We went down and back up to meet them. I managed to get real stuck again in tight trees and Kevin had to pull my front end around to get me turned around. From there we all headed down and out. Good fun.

Pictures later. I have to get dinner for the family now.

Fishy
12-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I wasn't sure if you were gonna start a trip report thread, so I only posted one pic. I have a few more, I'll post them all up if you're starting a new thread. I guess technically, this is no longer an upcoming event...

JadeRunner
12-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Too late for another thread. Sorry I didn't get a picture of Kevin suited up in his giant overalls in his giant Fj40 or whatever he calls it. He was quite a sight and drove that thing like he stole it.

Fishy
12-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Sorry I didn't get a picture of Kevin suited up in his giant overalls

With 6 pairs of overalls on, his monster truck, and being parked with the PS leaning downhill..... I wish I would have taken video of him trying to swing his leg up 4 feet into the cab. :lmao:

FJCDan
12-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks for setting this run up Scott. I got some great GoPro video to go through. If I don't get up on You Tube I will bring to the next meeting. By the way Bogart was happy to he has been sleeping ever since.

euroford
01-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Awesome shots of kevin! haha!

Uncle Ben
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Awesome shots of kevin! haha!

Watchit J**p boy! :D