PDA

View Full Version : BigCity25's 4 Speed Swap

RicardoJM
01-02-2013, 09:43 AM
DATE: Jan 18 and 19/20 as needed
WHEN: 8:00 am to ...
WHERE: Air Randy's Shop - Franktown

Jeff is making the move from 3speed to 4 speed. If you are interested in the 4 speed swap, plan on joining us to learn what is involved.

MDH33
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Will try to make it. :wrench: :thumb:

Air Randy
01-02-2013, 10:19 AM
The lift will be taken by the 3 speed swap but we'll have another heated bay available if someone needs to get some minor work done. We do have floor jacks and jack stands too.

bigcity25
01-02-2013, 10:51 AM
This should be a good time, I hope I have everything ready to go. I am gonna reseal the transmission here in the next week to get a jump on things. Can't wait

spectre6000
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Oh! I'm in! I didn't know this sort of thing was posted in this section. I'm down for just about any wrenching get togethers. Where is this exactly?

loudbay
01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
I'll try to make it out to this too. No real work i need to do, but just to lend a hand and get to know some more people.

Cheers, Matt

Bruiser
01-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Provided nothing gets in the way, I will try to make my way down as well.

Justin

spectre6000
01-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Hopefully I'm running well enough to drive my 40 down, but either way I'll be there to learn and lend whatever I can. Are there any tools/supplies needed that aren't already at hand?

Is there a grilling opportunity (as in a grill or a place for one and any interest)? In my VW club back in Dallas we all brought stuff to grill potluck style at every work day (which occurred monthly at a minimum, and weekly when the weather was nice). The workday beneficiary was responsible for the meat (being that it's usually the priciest part), then each person brought buns or chips or something according to means. There's one car (maybe two) being worked on, so for a half dozen people that means at least a few leaners at any given time; the perfect crew for manning the coals. Just floating the idea.

RicardoJM
01-07-2013, 08:46 AM
It's great to see there is interest in the project. I don't know if you've all are aware the 18th is a Friday. My primary focus will be successfully getting Jeff through the 4 speed swap, but am open to providing guidance/assistance for whatever else someone might bring down to work on.

Will try to make it. :wrench: :thumb:
Cool. :D I know this swap is on your list.

Oh! I'm in! I didn't know this sort of thing was posted in this section. I'm down for just about any wrenching get togethers. Where is this exactly?

Cool. :D Having been on the forum a few years, I forget what it was like to be new to the place. Events (wheeling, wrenching, fellowship) typically get posted up on the "4Wheeling and Event Staging Area"and the reports have their own area on the forum.

The address is, 1376 Columbine Dr Franktown, CO 80116.

I've done quite a bit of work in the garage (disc brake conversions, engine swap, 4 speed conversion, power steering) in my own garage, shoot currently TheBoomBoom is doing the timing belt, water pump and probably valve covers on his T100 - but I've done a bunch more work in Air Randy's shop. It's well equipped with tools and heated. :thumb:

I'll try to make it out to this too. No real work i need to do, but just to lend a hand and get to know some more people.

Cheers, Matt

Cool. :D

Provided nothing gets in the way, I will try to make my way down as well.

Justin

Cool. :D

Hopefully I'm running well enough to drive my 40 down, but either way I'll be there to learn and lend whatever I can. Are there any tools/supplies needed that aren't already at hand?

Is there a grilling opportunity (as in a grill or a place for one and any interest)? In my VW club back in Dallas we all brought stuff to grill potluck style at every work day (which occurred monthly at a minimum, and weekly when the weather was nice). The workday beneficiary was responsible for the meat (being that it's usually the priciest part), then each person brought buns or chips or something according to means. There's one car (maybe two) being worked on, so for a half dozen people that means at least a few leaners at any given time; the perfect crew for manning the coals. Just floating the idea.

The shop is pretty well stocked with tools but we typically bring our own consumables and haul away fluids.

I've thought about grilling, but we typically make a pizza or Subway run for lunch. It is easier, and smaller impact on cleanup.

MDH33
01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
It's great to see there is interest in the project. I don't know if you've all are aware the 18th is a Friday.

Shoot, I was thinking it was Sat&Sun. Can't do a Friday.

RicardoJM
01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Shoot, I was thinking it was Sat&Sun. Can't do a Friday.

We may carry over into Sat/Sun if needed. Either way, we will post an update at the end of Friday's work.

Air Randy
01-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I love Ricardo like a brother but his ability to accurately forecast how long it will take him to complete certain types of mechanical activities is suspect :D

By the time they finally show up, spend time BS'ing, get the rig on the lift, spend time BS'ing, get the drive shafts out and get the tranny/TC on the floor that will probably wrap up Friday/day 1.

I would say there is an excellent chance that they will be working most of the day on Saturday. Depending on how many bolts get cross threaded during the re-assembly, it could even carry over into Sunday morning :D

Bruiser
01-07-2013, 08:50 PM
We may carry over into Sat/Sun if needed. Either way, we will post an update at the end of Friday's work.

I am a Saturady guy as well. Work will keep me tied to a chair on Friday.

RicardoJM
01-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I love Ricardo like a brother but his ability to accurately forecast how long it will take him to complete certain types of mechanical activities is suspect :D

By the time they finally show up, spend time BS'ing, get the rig on the lift, spend time BS'ing, get the drive shafts out and get the tranny/TC on the floor that will probably wrap up Friday/day 1.

I would say there is an excellent chance that they will be working most of the day on Saturday. Depending on how many bolts get cross threaded during the re-assembly, it could even carry over into Sunday morning :D

That is soo true and funny too.:D

Dirt Claude
01-09-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm about 3/4 of the way through my 4spd tranny/3 spd tcase swap, I've learned quite a lot about this swap over the past couple of months. I'll plan on trying to swing out to lend a hand, especially since I'm only 10 mins away from Randy's place. I'm probably a Saturday guy as well.

RicardoJM
01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm about 3/4 of the way through my 4spd tranny/3 spd tcase swap, I've learned quite a lot about this swap over the past couple of months. I'll plan on trying to swing out to lend a hand, especially since I'm only 10 mins away from Randy's place. I'm probably a Saturday guy as well.

Nice looking parts. It will be great to have you stop by. :D

FJBRADY
01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
By the time they finally show up, spend time BS'ing, spend time BS'ing,

Depending on how many bolts get cross threaded during the re-assembly:D

Wow you know Ricardo all to well.:drink:

Air Randy
01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Yes I do! You coming over? We probably have room for 1 more person in the peanut gallery :D

FJBRADY
01-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Yes I do! You coming over? We probably have room for 1 more person in the peanut gallery :D

Hmmm I just might swing by, Tundra needs a tire rotation.:D

:beer: me.

nattybumppo
01-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Darn, I'm gonna miss all the fun. This working weekends thing really gets in the way sometimes. Wish I could be there for the beers on SUNDAY night when you finally wrap er up!

bigcity25
01-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Just want to throw out there, is anybody going up north of Randy's place? And that will be swinging by on Friday? I may need a ride back up to my place that evening. If not no worries.

RicardoJM
01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
If no one that goes by your place chimes in. I'll get you home.

bigcity25
01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks buddy

bigcity25
01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Well the timing of this swap is coming at a good time. My tranny has started a popping noise in 1st and reverse. So this is needed.

Dirt Claude
01-16-2013, 11:10 AM
I'd offer up a ride, but I'm over in Castle Rock, not really heading that direction. Although, if we hook up for those wheels I could run you up there and pick them up. Then again, I won't be able to make it out there until Saturday. Not much of a help it looks like.

spectre6000
01-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Where is this shop exactly? I'm really hoping to make it, but I also need to get my truck running. We have one car between us until I do, and Franktown is a long way away considering I'd have to come back to pick my wife up from work at 4:30...

Air Randy
01-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Where is this shop exactly? I'm really hoping to make it, but I also need to get my truck running. We have one car between us until I do, and Franktown is a long way away considering I'd have to come back to pick my wife up from work at 4:30...

Its behind my house. The address is 1376 Columbine Drive, Franktown 80116. Franktown is 5 miles South of Parker on Hwy 83 and were 3 miles East on Hwy 86.

Bruiser
01-17-2013, 07:31 AM
Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to make it now. Good luck with the swap.

Justin

Dirt Claude
01-17-2013, 08:29 AM
I'd offer up a ride, but I'm over in Castle Rock, not really heading that direction. Although, if we hook up for those wheels I could run you up there and pick them up. Then again, I won't be able to make it out there until Saturday. Not much of a help it looks like.

On second thought, if you need a ride back down to Franktown on Saturday morning, I could probably give you a lift. Let me know.

bigcity25
01-17-2013, 12:20 PM
On second thought, if you need a ride back down to Franktown on Saturday morning, I could probably give you a lift. Let me know.

That might be the ticket. I got some time today, I'll take some pics of those wheels.

spectre6000
01-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Today did NOT go as planned. Not going to make it tomorrow... Please take lots of pics, document, and make a killer writeup!

bigcity25
01-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Hey has anyone seen my reverse? Cause I just lost that bitch tonight. Tomorrows drive is gonna be epic, good thing it's mostly forward and downhill to Randy's place.

FJBRADY
01-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Bringing the 40 down on Sat., save me a warm bay por favor. ARB leaky

RicardoJM
01-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Start time for Saturday is 9:00 am. Progress was good, new 4 speed bell housing is in. Will start a thread with pictures later.

bigcity25
01-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Well we've rolled over to Sunday, putting out positive vibes here people. This will be done by the end of tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

BBGS
01-20-2013, 04:21 AM
Well we've rolled over to Sunday, putting out positive vibes here people. This will be done by the end of tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Are you still meeting this morning and what time?
I'd like to stop by and meet some of you.
Just found the post .

Coming from edgewater if anyone wants a ride.

Cell, 480 three nine four 1555

RicardoJM
01-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Are you still meeting this morning and what time?
I'd like to stop by and meet some of you.
Just found the post .

Coming from edgewater if anyone wants a ride.

Cell, 480 three nine four 1555

Yes we are working the swap today. Start at 8 and should be at it all day.

Rzeppa
01-20-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't see any other threads in Tech or Event Reports so I guess this is it. How is it going? Did you guys get the t-case input gear lined up properly with the idler gear? And what was that manifold business about, is that related to this project somehow?

Among many other chores around the house, I am working on the rear bumper project for my FJ60 today. :wrench: :weld:

RicardoJM
01-20-2013, 08:07 PM
I don't see any other threads in Tech or Event Reports so I guess this is it. How is it going? Did you guys get the t-case input gear lined up properly with the idler gear? And what was that manifold business about, is that related to this project somehow?

Among many other chores around the house, I am working on the rear bumper project for my FJ60 today. :wrench: :weld:

We'll do a report thread. We were missing the spacer between the transmission and tease. Brad had an extra and that issue was resolved. One of the exhaust manifold studs sheared off during removal, hence the call for a manifold.

The swap is done. The rig is rolling with 4 speed transmission. There are some small loose ends to take care of - which always seems to be the case.

Like I said above, we'll do a separate report thread with pictures and stuff.