PDA

View Full Version : The infamous leftover parts

wesintl
08-07-2006, 10:34 PM
ok.. so I can't remember where these go. :confused:

I'm almost ready to put the tranny back in and hook up the linkages. Then attach the T-case.

I ended up pulling all the linkages and pulling the bellhousing from the back of the engine to clean the 42 years of grime. Also vacuumed the frame rails.

Treeroot? Zepp? any thoughts?

treerootCO
08-07-2006, 10:41 PM
oh crap, you didn't leave those out out! Did you?

I'll have to go look. I can't remember ever seeing those before.

wesintl
08-07-2006, 10:41 PM
It's not fully back together so there is still time :D

At first I thought they went on the motor mounts but the bolt was too big. I'm guessing they go on the linkages? maybe to boot goes against it and seals??

last time I did this my lawnmower still ran even though It was missing a brass screw. j/k ;)

Rzeppa
08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Yes, they are certainly for linkages. I'm pretty sure one goes under the hi/lo range shift lever where the shaft comes out the top of the t-case. I took a number of photos of what my stuff looked like before I took it all apart. They're on page 6 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1629&page=6) of my engine freshen/4 speed conversion thread. Hope they help!

wesintl
08-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Cool Thanks Jeff. I see it now and it makes sense. Steady progress should continue tonight.

Rzeppa
08-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Steady progress should continue tonight.Boy does THAT sound familiar! I remember about a month ago when you were talking about finishing that weekend...sounds like most of my projects; take WAY longer than you plan for ;-)

wesintl
08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Well, :rant: in my defense I took the tranny apart. After that I knew it would be a month because I went to Va for the weekend, Had folks visiting, Had to move guest rooms to accomodate a newborn, I also didn't account for pulling the bellhousing the hard way to clean it up. I dunno why I stared that weekend, I guess I was really bored. That's also why I usually try to limit the scope of my projects cause before you know it it's fully disassembled and ready for a ground up resto I can't afford :eek: :blah:

Now on the flipside, I figured i'd take the trans and case out clean it up and pop it back in real quick:eek:

Rzeppa
08-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Well, :rant: in my defense I took the tranny apart. After that I knew it would be a month because I went to Va for the weekend, Had folks visiting, Had to move guest rooms to accomodate a newborn, I also didn't account for pulling the bellhousing the hard way to clean it up. I dunno why I stared that weekend, I guess I was really bored. That's also why I usually try to limit the scope of my projects cause before you know it it's fully disassembled and ready for a ground up resto I can't afford :eek: :blah:

Now on the flipside, I figured i'd take the trans and case out clean it up and pop it back in real quick:eek:LOL! No worries mate, I empathise. Almost everything takes longer than you think it should, and then there's project creep...

I actually had one recent project take exactly what I thought it should. Last weekend I replaced all four of my rear wheel cylinders, and it only took the 2 hours I figured. That even included replacing a snapped-off brake line. I had to wait for Ashley to assist in bleeding, but that went pretty quick too. But yeah, most everything takes longer than you think it should, especially on old vehicles.