PDA

View Full Version : Union busting 101

treerootCO
08-07-2006, 09:46 PM
:shaking head:

Only in America would your employer send out a "voluntary termination" email to every employee asking if they want to retire.....

and in that email, hidden in the fine print, include a statement that says if you do not wish to retire you must decline! ???????

Crash
08-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I keep wishing that my employer would open a window I could jump through!

Red_Chili
08-08-2006, 06:39 AM
:shaking head:

Only in America would your employer send out a "voluntary termination" email to every employee asking if they want to retire.....

and in that email, hidden in the fine print, include a statement that says if you do not wish to retire you must decline! ???????
Decline what? Not sure I understand... what's happening at your work?

treerootCO
08-08-2006, 07:32 AM
they are getting rid of all the union employees and replacing them with contractors. Fire 12, then hire 12 with the same job description. Only catch is the 12 that were fired can't apply for the position. The union hasn't said a word because they have all been paid off. Most if not all of our union reps are on paid disability leave.

Red_Chili
08-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Geez. What company, what field?

Hulk
08-08-2006, 10:22 AM
That's a bizarre notice to receive. You must decline in order not to "retire." So if you decline, do you keep your job? Or are they going to find another way to boot you?

My father-in-law took the first voluntary retirement from AT&T back in the late 80s, sold the family house, and moved out here with his wife and youngest kid (older two kids were in college). Bought a log cabin in Bailey and started his own business. I've always thought that was a gutsy move.

But he volunteered, without the hidden fine print to do it for him.

PabloCruise
08-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Dude...

I got back from a trip to the home office a few weeks ago.

They said they wanted to make us independent contractors (ie: no benes - great when Leanne is due Nov. 1). On the second day, the HR chick walks in w/ "voluntary" resignation forms. I tell her I am not comfortable signing until I see the indy contractor contract. She got pretty bent out of shape and said if we didn't sign, she would term us and charge us $35 for the certified letter doing the termination.

I told her she needed a @#$% in her &*# :D

Good times man, good times... :thumb:

PabloCruise
08-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I digress - so what are you going to do?

treerootCO
08-10-2006, 06:29 PM
I declined to retire if that makes any sense. Now I run the risk that they will only hire back those that took the offer as contractors. The folks that chose to stay will be union but that contract runs out Jan 1st. My wonderful union signed a 3 year contract with a no layoff clause for a year. My logic tells me that is not a 3 year contract but a 1 year contract :confuse2:

Here is a question for you. If your boss that has been your boss's boss for nine years now, but is now your direct boss because she got demoted, thinks your name is Dave even though it's not, do you correct her or just let her call you Dave. My coworkers think it's funny so at least they are entertained.

Hulk
08-11-2006, 03:28 PM
If you correct her, do it in private -- not in front of anyone. Don't make the boss lose face in front of her team. It makes her look bad, and then you're the bad guy, even though it was her mistake.

And you should correct her, as soon as possible. She'll find out eventually, and then wonder why you never bothered to correct her.

I think I've seen several Dilbert comics on this subject!

PabloCruise
08-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Hmm, do you guys have photo ID's at work?