PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Karma (kruiserma?) Thread

loudbay
01-06-2013, 12:11 PM
What do you guys think about a long-running thread like this?

The craigslist highlights thread gets a ton of attention, and its kind of the same goodwill toward each other type of idea. Here, you post up what you need, and when someone else has something they are ok giving away, they can search the thread and maybe get a cruiser back on the road, or just make someone's day, or just to make their own day a bit better. When you get gifted a part, just post up who gave it to you, and a big thank you.

A lot of us are into this for fun. Working on an old truck is a negative value:reward ratio as it is. When I left Land Rovers, I gave my last truck away to a younger kid, with no truck, for beer and the promise he would learn to change the clutch himself, and go wheeling. Me, I was giving up on the British beasts, and coming to the land of the rising sun. It felt damn good. Now the free-ish fj60. It was not free ish to me, but I'm just letting it sit. What the hell am I doing? It feels much better to give parts to club members than to pile them in my garage until I get that $10, someday, maybe.

Let's not request silly things, and if you don't want to give it for free, don't offer it. If you need it ASAP to get on the road, or you're willing to pay for the part, post a normal WTB ad. Seems pretty easy to manage.

Do you guys like it? Seems it would be a nice way to acquire trail spares and non essential repair items. If this takes off, I could edit this first post with some concise guidelines.

Cheers, Matt

spectre6000
01-06-2013, 12:26 PM
We did this in my VW club back in Dallas. In fact, it was virtually a rule when the club was smaller; lower value parts were freely exchanged, and labor could not be charged between club members unless it is someone's actual business (we had a few guys that owned shops, but they would often do things for free for club members anyway). I had pallet racks of parts and gave far more than I received. The hard part is keeping abuse to a minimum, but I don't think we ever had a problem aside from the occasions someone was really new to the automotive hobby and needed far more help than they could give. This eventually self-rectified when the guy figured out how to do things, and he would often be a major contributor to parties and such.

Loudbay, you've kicked it off big with the 60. I mentioned this in the thread, but I'll help get this ball rolling too. I have a virtually unused Rancho HD steering adapter setup. It came mounted on the truck by the PO, but he never had the truck really running (it has probably about 3 trips around the block on it). I wanted the stock setup so I took it off. Free for forward payment courtesy of Loudbay.

While we're at it, I have jetting gauges and reams, a 110 MIG, a (rough) set of body hammers and other metalworking paraphernalia. These are about the only LC-applicable semi-special tools I have (at least that I can think of off the top of my head). Semi-skilled labor with them to anyone in need. Same terms as above also courtesy of Loudbay.

baja1d
01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I dig it

loudbay
01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
:bowdown:

I hope this thread turns into something like your old VW forum's. I think it would go a long way to keep a lot of trucks from dying unnecessary deaths.

When the dust settles I'll include the free-ish 60 list of parts. I 'll have the garage room for any worthwhile stuff the others don't want (after a bit of BMW wrenching).

Specter, If I ever find some more hours and dollars, I'll need some welding help. Thank you for offering up your services!

Bruiser
01-06-2013, 01:07 PM
We did this in my VW club back in Dallas. In fact, it was virtually a rule when the club was smaller; lower value parts were freely exchanged, and labor could not be charged between club members unless it is someone's actual business (we had a few guys that owned shops, but they would often do things for free for club members anyway). I had pallet racks of parts and gave far more than I received. The hard part is keeping abuse to a minimum, but I don't think we ever had a problem aside from the occasions someone was really new to the automotive hobby and needed far more help than they could give. This eventually self-rectified when the guy figured out how to do things, and he would often be a major contributor to parties and such.

Loudbay, you've kicked it off big with the 60. I mentioned this in the thread, but I'll help get this ball rolling too. I have a virtually unused Rancho HD steering adapter setup. It came mounted on the truck by the PO, but he never had the truck really running (it has probably about 3 trips around the block on it). I wanted the stock setup so I took it off. Free for forward payment courtesy of Loudbay.

While we're at it, I have jetting gauges and reams, a 110 MIG, a (rough) set of body hammers and other metalworking paraphernalia. These are about the only LC-applicable semi-special tools I have (at least that I can think of off the top of my head). Semi-skilled labor with them to anyone in need. Same terms as above also courtesy of Loudbay.

I have been looking for a welder. I would love to take advantage of the one you have so I don't have to rush into to something bigger until I know what I am getting into. I will shoot you a pm.

Bruiser
01-06-2013, 01:35 PM
I was cleaning out the garage yesterday and found several sets of shocks if anyone needs them, both front and rear. They were on my FJ40 but certainly fit other cars. The various sizes probably fit stock to 2 inch lift.

I also have an fj40 transmission hump. It has some rust around the edge and the PO cut it for a SBC conversion but you could probably weld it up.

Finally, I have a brand new roller fairlead and some 3/8 steel cable, new.

Justin

spectre6000
01-06-2013, 01:48 PM
For clarification, the tools mentioned are what I have to help with projects. The tools themselves are not up for grabs, and their use generally requires my being there and operating them or assisting in their operation.

Sweet deal! I've got a second auto darkening helmet to boot, and I'll gladly pass along what I have to pass in terms of knowledge. I taught myself initially, but eventually got some lessons from a professional on some of the finer points and metal finishing, so I'm good enough to get by better than most. Additionally, just moving up here is like I got several pounds more gas.

baja1d
01-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Read this in the free-ish section but I've got a cherry picker/engine hoist & very HD stand that I'd lend out for an extended period of time. Also have a bunch of column shift (1964) parts/ odds & ends someone can have.

loudbay
01-06-2013, 05:53 PM
I'll definitely borrow that hoist from you when I get the bug to swap my BMW motor! Thank you!!!

nuclearlemon
01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Also have a bunch of column shift (1964) parts/ odds & ends someone can have.

if no one needs it, i'll be interested. we have a driveway and lots of tools for rent, prefer no long term projects as parking is getting tight around here again, but day projects, anyone is welcome

euroford
01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
This is a brilliant idea! fwiw: i'll be more than happy to fab or weld about anything (steel, ss, aluminum) for good karma and/or a beer and good company. and i'm like the opposite of a fair weather friend, i can get suckered into all sorts of miserable tasks.

loudbay
01-06-2013, 06:19 PM
This is a brilliant idea! fwiw: i'll be more than happy to fab or weld about anything (steel, ss, aluminum) for good karma and/or a beer and good company. and i'm like the opposite of a fair weather friend, i can get suckered into all sorts of miserable tasks.

Lol, score one for: EVERYONE!!!:beer:

baja1d
01-07-2013, 06:02 AM
I was cleaning out the garage yesterday and found several sets of shocks if anyone needs them, both front and rear. They were on my FJ40 but certainly fit other cars. The various sizes probably fit stock to 2 inch lift.

I also have an fj40 transmission hump. It has some rust around the edge and the PO cut it for a SBC conversion but you could probably weld it up.

Finally, I have a brand new roller fairlead and some 3/8 steel cable, new.

Justin

Ikea build is getting a 350 & 1 tons. I could use that hump to ensure my measurements a correct. BTW, you can use my welder anytime. I'm @ Kipling & Bowels

baja1d
01-07-2013, 06:04 AM
if no one needs it, i'll be interested. we have a driveway and lots of tools for rent, prefer no long term projects as parking is getting tight around here again, but day projects, anyone is welcome

I should just deliver my old stuff to you Ige rather than post it. You're the only one that's ever interested!!! Just as long as its not thrown away!!!

nuclearlemon
01-07-2013, 07:51 AM
I should just deliver my old stuff to you Ige rather than post it. You're the only one that's ever interested!!! Just as long as its not thrown away!!!

lol...the advantage of having old stuff ;). neither of my early to mid 60s rigs will be getting modded, so i like the old stuff.

loudbay
01-07-2013, 11:10 AM
As long as it's not thrown away... That should be the new thread motto. Kind of like, 'Save the Whales'.

RockRunner
01-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Welder and plasma for medium time use. SW Littleton.

loudbay
01-18-2013, 11:26 AM
We're loading up the 60 body for scrap TODAY! Call me at 303-549-7429 if you have any last minute requests. I'll be in the shop with Tim, so posting here may get overlooked!

Cheers,
Matt

loudbay
01-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Some karma came my way! I was looking for a 40 project and fount a good guy who wanted an 80. We traded trucks, and I my Project ADD is satiated for the moment. Hopefully he joins the club, and hopefully I can learn my way around the new 40 with your guys' help.

I'd like another 40 owner to listen to my 4 speed (louder than my 60s 4 speed) and someone to feel my drum brakes (whoa!), and let me know if they're at normal operating quality levels.

Cheers,
Matt

baja1d
01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Pictures!!!

spectre6000
01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
I responded in the other thread, but JIC I'm doing mine tomorrow and you're more than welcome to join me.

euroford
01-27-2013, 03:13 PM

a huge thanks and good karma to bruiser! with various other expenses going on shocks to replace the ones broken during the jenny creek workday weren't going to make it to the top of the list for a good long time.

But thanks to some hand me down shocks my little rig is driveable again for the time being!

:thumb:

loudbay
02-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Looking for a random 16" wheel (6 lug) and a 265 75 16 spare tire.

Cheers! M.

subzali
03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Alright.

I need an FJ40 steering column for a 9/72 to 1984 FJ40 (the one with the rag joint).

I would be willing to pass on a good FJ55 steering column, preferaby to someone with an FJ55 that is in need (seeing as how the FJ55 is rarer than the FJ40). I need the 40 column first though to put on my truck so it's not out of commission for too long.

RicardoJM
03-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Alright.

I need an FJ40 steering column for a 9/72 to 1984 FJ40 (the one with the rag joint).

I would be willing to pass on a good FJ55 steering column, preferaby to someone with an FJ55 that is in need (seeing as how the FJ55 is rarer than the FJ40). I need the 40 column first though to put on my truck so it's not out of commission for too long.

Matt, I don't have one but it sounds like you could also use an earlier steering cloumn. Of course the column is connected to the box, but it can be cut to length.

subzali
03-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Matt, I don't have one but it sounds like you could also use an earlier steering cloumn. Of course the column is connected to the box, but it can be cut to length.

Thanks Ricardo, I also want to keep my keyswitch on the column, and I want to keep the later style steering wheel, and I'm not sure I can accomplish both of those things with the older columns. Maybe someone knows whether I can or not, but I don't and I'm going to lean more toward playing it safe. I also don't know whether the column shift assembly is an integral part of the early columns or whether it could be removed.

Rezarf
03-12-2013, 08:19 PM
I'd like another 40 owner to listen to my 4 speed (louder than my 60s 4 speed) and someone to feel my drum brakes (whoa!), and let me know if they're at normal operating quality levels.

Cheers,
Matt

Über loud 4 speed with banging rattles= normal.

Random lane changes and a mushy squishy pedal feel without considerable slow down= normal.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: :bowdown: :zilla:

bigcity25
03-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Thanks Ricardo, I also want to keep my keyswitch on the column, and I want to keep the later style steering wheel, and I'm not sure I can accomplish both of those things with the older columns. Maybe someone knows whether I can or not, but I don't and I'm going to lean more toward playing it safe. I also don't know whether the column shift assembly is an integral part of the early columns or whether it could be removed.

I removed the column shift and added a later model wheel. Not the prettiest but it worked. I can get some pics if you're interested.

kurtnkegger
03-17-2013, 07:40 AM
I'm looking to do a compression test on my 40 in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone have the equipment I could borrow?

I also have for anyone who might need...the rear brakes (drums, cylinders,shoes, etc...) left from my rear disc swap of my '77 FJ40. The drums were turned the cylinders were all remand from Napa. Put them on about a year before I went to the disc swap.

RicardoJM
03-17-2013, 09:00 AM
I've got a compression gauge for you Kurt.

kurtnkegger
03-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks Ricardo!! I have the week of April 1 off for vacation. PM me or post where you would like to meet for the exchange. THANKS!!

baja1d
03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Anybody willing to help me put together my front axle? I have no idea how to center the knuckle or figure out the shims. Nor do I have the SST Tool that the manual calls for. This is a brand new/ freshly painted axle... Should be a clean job. The Six Shooter High Steer kit from 4x4 Labs should be here by Wednesday.

Phrog
03-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Free to good home: Two Motorcraft FL-1A filters. Unused, in box. Fit 2F, maybe others as well. In Boulder.

-Phrog

subzali
04-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Alright.

Bump for this. Also if someone has a factory front bumper for a 40 I could use for a while, don't care about the condition really

Jenny Cruiser
04-01-2013, 08:30 PM
How long do you want to use it?

subzali
04-01-2013, 09:02 PM
It'd be better to not put a time on it. Ideally I wouldn't even need it for what I plan to do, but with how slow my projects have been going I figured I'd have a backup plan

Jenny Cruiser
04-01-2013, 09:36 PM
You getting rid of the 4+ then?

subzali
04-02-2013, 07:18 AM
You getting rid of the 4+ then?

Planning on trading it out for a different one.

Telly
04-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Bump for this. Also if someone has a factory front bumper for a 40 I could use for a while, don't care about the condition really

Hey Subzali, I have my old factory bumper sitting in the garage. Yours to use if you want it. Doug

Dirt Claude
04-10-2013, 11:09 AM
I also have for anyone who might need...the rear brakes (drums, cylinders,shoes, etc...) left from my rear disc swap of my '77 FJ40. The drums were turned the cylinders were all remand from Napa. Put them on about a year before I went to the disc swap.

Hey Kurt, if you still have the rear brake setup I'd be interested in taking them off your hands.

kurtnkegger
04-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Hey Kurt, if you still have the rear brake setup I'd be interested in taking them off your hands.

Brad, PM replied to...they're yours for the taking!!

RicardoJM
04-28-2013, 07:48 PM
A big shout out to JPS8460 for the valve stem seals. I installed them a week a ago Saturday - #2 plug is no longer oil fouled. Thanks Jackson.:D

FJCDan
05-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Finnally got Steve H van I bought from him stripped and is ready to go to the scrap yard. I would have it picked up but they don't pay very much so towing to the junk might get me more money. 303-nine 2 nine-7230. Dan

FJCDan
05-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Well this project is finally come to an end. Now for the before and after pic's.
Sorry to do this to a perfectlly goog van Steve H. Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do. So hopefully someone could help me out here. Thanks Dan

baja1d
05-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Well this project is finally come to an end. Now for the before and after pic's.
Sorry to do this to a perfectlly goog van Steve H. Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do. So hopefully someone could help me out here. Thanks Dan

Looks like you had quite the project. Got some good metal left over for tube fenders & rusted body repair...not that you want anything more to do with it!

SteveH
05-18-2013, 06:32 AM
Hey - you missed the 'Beauville' logo - you can't let that go to the boneyard ;-). Good job on the parting out!

DaveInDenver
05-18-2013, 06:37 AM
You could have at least taken the before or after with different weather or time, it's erie how similar the photos look.

Shotshell
05-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Does anyone have an 11mm or 12mm hex key wrench (allen wrench)? I can't really tell which one I need, it's cramped in there. But I know my biggest one is a 10mm, and it turns freely in the bolt head.
I can't seem to find a larger one. I'm going to expand my search tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask. :) Thanks.

rover67
05-28-2013, 09:17 PM
if you can't find one you can stick a nut in there and use a wrench on the nut. It has to be pretty deep.

Shotshell
05-28-2013, 09:21 PM
if you can't find one you can stick a nut in there and use a wrench on the nut. It has to be pretty deep.

Good idea. I'll see if I can rig something up if I can't find one. Thanks.:thumb:

L43dean
05-29-2013, 06:43 PM
The largest I have is 10MM. Craftsman maybe? Bike shops use some pretty hefty size Allens on crank bolts, Park Tools. Good Luck!

jps8460
05-30-2013, 03:24 PM
I've done what Marco is suggesting, only with a bolt and a jam nut.

jam 2 nuts together on a bolt, insert one nut, and use the hex head on the bolt to turn.