PDA

View Full Version : So, I went to see a man about a horse...

Red_Chili
01-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Not having NEARLY enough to do or spend money on... apparently...

Got a new model of these:
http://www.indian-peaks.net/images/Audrey-6-22-12a-cr.jpg

And a little colt as a stablemate. We've not told him his destiny RE: his family jewels.

Red_Chili
01-14-2013, 08:46 PM
http://www.indian-peaks.net/images/Audrey-Hd-6-22-12.jpg

Nice looking Arabian if I say so myself.

Red_Chili
01-14-2013, 08:47 PM
We got a super deal because they left her in the dryer too long.

She shrunk.

http://www.indian-peaks.net/images/Audrey-Expo-3-8-12.jpg

32" at the withers.

I plan on training her to drive a cart. Yes, there is trail driving. No I'm not kidding.

You may proceed to laugh at me.

Now I need to build a barn and paddock.

Red_Chili
01-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Before you call out the clinical social workers to examine my mental health, though... you may or may not know that I grew up on a Thoroughbred horse farm. So this is back to the future for me. Only waaaaaay more manageable. On about 1/10th the feed.

It's a heart thing.

Free fertilizer to any gardeners... LOL

ttubb
01-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Is that four hoof drive?

Rezarf
01-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Mmmm, delicious! :hill:

Red_Chili
01-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Mmmm, delicious! :hill:
I'm sure there's a lion in the woods with the same opinion...
Hence... boarding them at the breeders' until the barn is built.

Anybunny wanna do a barn raising?

Red_Chili
01-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Oh, yeah... here's the colt. Not long after he was foaled. He is a little bigger (and resembles a buffalo in his winter fur) but not by much.
cjqnT0cCdck

Rezarf
01-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Oh, yeah... here's the colt. Not long after he was foaled. He is a little bigger (and resembles a buffalo in his winter fur) but not by much.
cjqnT0cCdck

In all seriousness, great looking animals man!

Red_Chili
01-17-2013, 07:23 AM
So I talk to my vet yesterday. She just so happens to be going to Boulder today, so I can conveniently lighten my wallet and she will do a prepurchase exam.

However, my learning has begun under the tuttelage of my vet. She advised me to never, ever, EVER name a horse, 'Lucky'. 'Lucky' is a name for a three legged cat with half a tail and no teeth.

I am just Celt enough to not wanna go there... so Indian Peak's Legendary Luck shall be known as.... Luke.

:lmao:

rover67
01-17-2013, 10:05 AM
luke and mead together would be cute.

Fishy
01-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Anybunny wanna do a barn raising?

Reminds me of my days in Central Pennsylvania. I'm in!

60wag
01-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Would this barn be about the size of a Toughshed?

Caribou Sandstorm
01-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Would this barn be about the size of a Toughshed?

That made me laugh out loud Bruce!

Red_Chili
01-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Nyuk nyuk nyuk...
Nope. 8x24 with three 8x8 stalls. Just under the permit square footage (misc. permit and fencing permits still required).

Got the earthwork done by a great landscaper up here with very little work at the time. An 'ar-TEEST' with a Bobcat, did a fine job. I now have a level spot on the property. :lmao:

Well... there is a reason you get a vet to do a pre-purchase exam. There were some things I saw with the mare that bothered me (nothing major but still bothered me for my purposes... yeah, I'm pretty finicky) were confirmed in the vet prepurchase and she thought, though very slight, they would not correct with farrier work. I had hoped they would.

I struggled with what to do for a bit. I started rethinking my thinking process and mentally went back to the stallion who grabbed me on the first visit, but that I ruled out because... well, he is a stallion. But the connection was instant and mutual and that boy is beautiful and a responsive gentleman even with mares around. We went back up to really revisit our decision, and came to the unanimous conclusion that the stallion plus Luke, gelded, would be a very good choice. Without asking, the breeder has been turning Luke out with him - observed - and they sorted out the pecking order in seconds flat, and seem to enjoy each others' company.

The stallion is a remarkable gentleman, and quite settled and willing even around dogs, mares, traffic... he is just a very settled horse. More so than the two year old mare, by a long shot. Excellent temperament. I noticed when walking down the road with him, his slow trot and fast trot and canter are uber smooth, more so than the mare who had a smooth pace and a not so smooth pace. I'm excited to say the least.

FWIW... Luke is Legend's son. They have a very similar temperament. Never been around a stallion that was so easy, of any size. Our Thoroughbred-Quarter cross teaser was a handful; rideable but a handful. Legend just about falls asleep with me scratching his chin while talking to folks.

All that remains is *another* vet prepurchase exam... ack.

http://www.indian-peaks.net/images/Legend-Worlds-2011-2a.jpg

One of these days I will know to go with my heart. Certainly worked out in my marriage... ;-)

Nice video of his movement. I think he will make a great driving horse and more.
1GGO09Iodr4

Woot!
We will have to throw a barnraising when the kit gets here. Running a bit late. Probably another week or two.

Red_Chili
01-23-2013, 04:00 PM
luke and mead together would be cute.
Luke is only slightly bigger... LOL

rover67
01-23-2013, 04:05 PM
mead is 32" at the withers too. though luke has probably grown already.

Red_Chili
01-24-2013, 08:03 AM
OK... Mead wins!! LOL
Luke is about 28" but growing. Legend is 33" at the withers.

Air Randy
01-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Bill,

I had my suspicions with the show dogs but now this confirms it:

You are twitterpated! :D

Red_Chili
01-30-2013, 08:35 PM
I am completely twitterpated when it comes to animals. Always have been. Something to overcome when I hunt... I never take a life for granted.

OK... Looks like the barn kit will show up on Friday 2/1, so if anyone really does want to participate in a barn raising (to a modest extent... that is, the barn is modest) show up Saturday!

PM me if you can show up, and/or if you need directions.

Red_Chili
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Crum... Barn kit will not be delivered until Wednesday 2/6...

Hooookay, revised plan is to set the wood post H braces and get ready for fencing Saturday 2/2. Big R is having a tee-post sale on Wednesday 2/6 too, woohoo.

No free time for Chili!

Red_Chili
02-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Barn is still scheduled for delivery on 2/6 (tomorrow) so... if anyone truly does want to help with a barn raising, it will be Saturday 2/9!! Help appreciated!

PM for directions.

Oh... almost all the fence posts are in and bro-in-law will be stringing wire tomorrow...