PDA

View Full Version : Small timing light

coax
01-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Anybody have a recommendation on a small timing light? I think its about time to pick one up, and I'd like it to fit easily into the tool bag in the cruiser. So, not looking for one the size of a large handgun :hill: 3 cable is OK, but hoping to find one that's easier to pack? Do they make one thats the size of a AA mag light? Seems like with the advances in technology there's no reason to have a huge light anymore?

:cheers:

Air Randy
01-18-2013, 10:05 AM
They actually make units now small enough to permanently attach to the cars engine. Summit Racing sells them.

You can get small self contained units. For carrying around in a tool bag though I would get one of the 12v powered 3 cable units, otherwise Murphy says when you need it the batteries will be dead. They're usually pretty inexpensive and very reliable.

spectre6000
01-18-2013, 10:15 AM
I just have the O'Reilly's cheapie (which is coming up on replacement time), but I'll be keeping an eye on this. I just looked at Summit's page and I found some smaller battery powered jobs (I don't do batteries), but not the built in one you referenced. Is it a gauge or something?

Air Randy
01-18-2013, 11:48 AM
This Proform unit is an example of whats available:

Proform #778-67274C
Billet Timing Pointer/Light
SB-Chevy with 6-3/4'' balancer

$87.99 Ships 01/25/13
This billet aluminum timing pointer has a built-in, self-powered, permanently-mounted LED timing light to eliminate the need for a separate timing light or car battery hookup, and its hands-free design enables just one