PDA

View Full Version : Overheated?

Squishy!
01-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Soooo on my way home tonight I look at my cluster and my temp gauge is PEGGED in the red :bawl: cycle the ignition off while coasting and let it drop to cold before letting the truck bump start. Stays at operating temp. Cool. Look down again and pegged :bawl: :bawl: it may be a bad sensor, but I'm not taking any chances. Anybody near hampden and Sante fe have a good scan tool with data lists? I think I wanna check my actual temps before concluding on a sensor.

loudbay
01-25-2013, 10:44 PM
If it went down to cool for a while, when you let the motor cool down, wouldn't the sensor be good?

baja1d
01-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Soooo on my way home tonight I look at my cluster and my temp gauge is PEGGED in the red :bawl: cycle the ignition off while coasting and let it drop to cold before letting the truck bump start. Stays at operating temp. Cool. Look down again and pegged :bawl: :bawl: it may be a bad sensor, but I'm not taking any chances. Anybody near hampden and Sante fe have a good scan tool with data lists? I think I wanna check my actual temps before concluding on a sensor.

With the cool weather I'd guess a bad sensor as well but a new thermostat & radiator flush isn't going to hurt.... I'm assuming your radiator is topped off, could be a ruptured hose.

Squishy!
01-26-2013, 08:01 AM
With the cool weather I'd guess a bad sensor as well but a new thermostat & radiator flush isn't going to hurt.... I'm assuming your radiator is topped off, could be a ruptured hose.

Ya topped off and still full. This is the 3.4 swap I just finished in September so the coolant and most of the hoses are new.

If it went down to cool for a while, when you let the motor cool down, wouldn't the sensor be good?

No the engine was off for 15-30 seconds tops.

loudbay
01-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Gotcha. I say you warm her up and see how hot the radiator hoses are by hand. I really don't know anything about these sensors, but a lot temp sensors are dummies, and really just show cold, not cold, overheating. I would start here, easy and probably pretty cheap.

thefatkid
01-26-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm at work today if you want to stop by.

Squishy!
01-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Ah dang. Missed ya.

Rzeppa
01-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Not necessarily. could be faulty connection, could be faulty ECU. Never jump straight to a conclusion, simply start eliminating possible causes until the root cause is found. Always start with the cheapest/easiest tests.

Squishy!
01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Right. It's why I'd like to look at what the ECU sees first. I've seen temp sensors short internally before especially once it reaches a certain temp. I may do the boiling water test with a thermometer and an ohmmeter. Quick and simple.

SteveH
01-27-2013, 10:48 PM
An infrared heat gun would tell you a lot about the cooling system, too.

corsair23
01-28-2013, 04:56 PM
You've probably figured it out by how but I've got a Scangauge you could hook up if you have an OBDII port...That'll tell you what the computer thinks the temp is :)

Squishy!
01-28-2013, 05:10 PM
You've probably figured it out by now

:rolleyes: yeeeeaaaa... Time and all that. I'll be pulling it apart tonight (brrr) or tomorrow evening.

theboomboom
01-28-2013, 07:57 PM
:rolleyes: yeeeeaaaa... Time and all that. I'll be pulling it apart tonight (brrr) or tomorrow evening.

What'd you figure out was wrong with it?

loudbay
01-28-2013, 08:13 PM
I think that was a sarcastic yeeeeaaaa. As in yeeeeaaaaa, wife, I listed that truck on craigslist.

Squishy!
01-28-2013, 11:08 PM
It'll be tomorrow. I'll do a write up.

Squishy!
01-28-2013, 11:10 PM
I think that was a sarcastic yeeeeaaaa. As in yeeeeaaaaa, wife, I listed that truck on craigslist.

Oooo... Ouch. :rolleyes:

Red_Chili
01-29-2013, 06:55 AM
"Apollo"??
as in, Apollo 13 or another one? "Houston, we have a problem..."
LOL

Corbet
01-29-2013, 07:36 AM
sounds like an air bubble in the system to me

Squishy!
01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
The thought occurred, but I seriously burped the system months ago. An air bubble now? That's what doesn't make sense. I am prone to over thinking things though :shrug:

Squishy!
02-03-2013, 10:07 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/04/u6aryzeg.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/04/epa5azu2.jpg

Sensor unplugged ignition on. Looks like the wiring or cluster. I've got a spare cluster so we'll start with that. Also. My DMM is missing :(

RicardoJM
02-04-2013, 07:14 AM
If you need em, I've got a Fluke 88v and PowerProbe you can borrow.

Squishy!
02-04-2013, 07:23 AM

Rzeppa
02-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Sensor unplugged ignition on. Looks like the wiring or cluster. I've got a spare cluster so we'll start with that. Also. My DMM is missing :(

Whenever Harbor Freight or MCM Electronics has a sale on cheapies I stock up, put one in each vehicle, plus several around the house and garage. For under ten bucks who cares if they get lost or run over? They aren't expected to be super-accurate but as long as you have an extra in case a reading doesn't pass the sanity check you can always cross check with another.

As for your root-cause, I put my money on a wire rubbed through and shorting to ground, typically where it goes through a bulkhead or maybe melted somewhere.

Good luck! :thumb:

Squishy!
02-04-2013, 04:32 PM
It's quite possible the conversion harness has an issue but Brian's work is mint so I doubt it. Melting? No it all runs at the top of the engine then straight through the firewall. Still possible though. The gauge when working right sits really low which is odd. I've been meaning to swap in my SR5 cluster anyway so I'll start there.

Rzeppa
02-04-2013, 10:48 PM
It's quite possible the conversion harness has an issue but Brian's work is mint so I doubt it. Melting? No it all runs at the top of the engine then straight through the firewall. Still possible though. The gauge when working right sits really low which is odd. I've been meaning to swap in my SR5 cluster anyway so I'll start there.

Whatever's easiest. Glad to see that you took the quick and easy route eliminating the sender by simply disconnecting it. That's smart.

Squishy!
02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Wiring. Swapped the cluster and still pegged when I hit I-25. :( shook the Ecu/harness and it dropped. Looks like I'm short hunting...

Red_Chili
02-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Intermittent short hunting to boot. The most 'fun' kind. Blech.

Rzeppa
02-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Intermittent short hunting to boot. The most 'fun' kind. Blech.

Good chance it will be visible though.