PDA

View Full Version : finally making progress...

J Kimmel
01-27-2013, 04:55 PM
still not sure if I'll make CM this year, but hey I'm going to try :)

Last year before the last day I figured out why my truck was acting weird, turns out after all the years of beating on it, the frame broke right at the front crossmember. I'm actually surprised it lasted that long, considering how hard I am on it and the fact that I never braced it back to the rest of the cage, or shock towers, or anything :eek: pretty much have 2-300 lbs of winch and still acting as a lever arm on the front of the frame.

So I cut it off...and then some more, and then some more, and still more yet to where I am today. I'm still a ways off but significantly closer. Its basically tube now with the exception of the frame rails. I'm going to hang my old toy skins on it (cleaned up and painted) so it looks like something.

anyhow a few photos starting from where it was and sort of where I am now :)

J Kimmel
01-27-2013, 05:00 PM
so I cut a little

then I decided I wanted to boatside and integrate some seat mounts in there for some new (used) mastercraft seats

Lots of extra clearance, in the before and after notice the lower link bolt position

Oh and the entire dash area went...I'd say its a foot narrower now

J Kimmel
01-27-2013, 05:01 PM
I started mounting the dash junk back together, grafting in what little I am keeping of the firewall with what I am building...

ScaldedDog
01-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Git 'R Done!

I feel bad: All I'm trying to do is figure out if I want to fix my AC or remove it... :D

Mark

AxleIke
01-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Looks GREAT Jeremy! Can't wait to see more pics!

loudbay
01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Fun lookin rig. I'm hoping to attend CM for the first time this year. Good luck getting it done!

rover67
01-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Well it looks like the font end is gonna be a bit stiffer! I bet the suspension will work a lot better with it all tied down right.

Also looks like the Old body is going to just be a place to put your feet and mount some gauges.. which is actually pretty perfect.

you are about ready to tack on the front end with dzus buttons and run it!

sweet!

rover67
01-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Also forgot to ask....

Can we re-gear it and run Baja in it when it's done?

J Kimmel
01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
I'd love to run Baja...need some major suspension re-work for that though ;) Its set up to go S L O W...

Mark keep the A/C :)

really.

Oh and I got some sway a way 2.5 Airs for the rear too, I have a little re-work to do to fit them in place of the 2.0's but I think the suspension ought to work about 100x better than it already does so it ought to be fun and reasonably capable :)

rover67
01-27-2013, 09:50 PM
cant be that far off! with that sweet tube frame it's halfway there!!

I'll help.

Promise.

leiniesred
01-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Friggin' awesome. Looks like fun building and using later too.

J Kimmel
01-29-2013, 09:18 AM
parts have been fun, parts no so much...the good news is its getting more fun since I at least now have a bit of direction as far as where to start putting stuff.

I fixed one of the shock mounts last night and started shoring up what I am keeping of the factory firewall.

I can't imagine it'll work any less impressive as before, lighter, smaller, so it ought to be a ton of fun now :)

I hope

J Kimmel
01-29-2013, 08:38 PM
adding some tube to shore up what I am keeping of the firewall, building brackets to mount stuff to. Tonight was the brake bracket, going to make one other one for the clutch but I have to cut the bracket first and move the clutch part over a bit (maybe 1/2" and down too about 1/2")

Air Randy
01-30-2013, 09:16 AM
You must be doing something wrong, those welds look way too purty :D Dont forget to save some space behind the cockpit for that large metal toolbox I have for you.

Didnt you say your motor was getting tired? Seems like now would be the right time to drop a replacement in.

J Kimmel
01-30-2013, 09:42 AM
You must be doing something wrong, those welds look way too purty :D Dont forget to save some space behind the cockpit for that large metal toolbox I have for you.

Didnt you say your motor was getting tired? Seems like now would be the right time to drop a replacement in.

motor is getting tired, but this has been a bit of a slim year, she'll go more :)

I'm planning on making room in the back for tools and a cooler...finally. Its only been like several years in the making :o

rover67
01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Looking good, agreed the welds look nice.. you'rs always do.

RockRunner
01-30-2013, 12:17 PM
You and I both need to get our stuff together and get our rigs on the road again. I will push you if you push me.

BTW may have to come over to cut a SS cover in half, adding some stuff to the trailer.

J Kimmel
02-02-2013, 06:49 PM
did a little more, put in a bunch of time on it this week and today, amazing how little progress it looks like yet my punch list keeps getting smaller. Lots and lots of little things like capping the frame, fixing the shock mounts, brackets, etc.

planning on working on it all day tomorrow, we shall see how it looks

baja1d
02-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Nice work. Sorry I was a no show yesterday. Got tied up with a hi lift and the rolled Samurai.

Uncle Ben
02-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Looks good Jeremy! I'm trying to get mine on the way back together too so my time is limited.

J Kimmel
02-03-2013, 03:19 PM
no worries UB :)

Did a little more today, I welded up all the tubes that are in so far, starting to make more stuff permanent. Buddy came over today and helped me make a cowell, going to add in some shock tower bracing this week and I am hoping to hang fenders and my hood next weekend.

Its getting there, almost ready for wiring :eek::eek:

J Kimmel
02-07-2013, 08:07 PM
I've been doing all kinds of wrapping up odds n ends that dont photo well. finishing brackets, got my shoulder harness bars tacked in, etc. So tonight I started tacking mounts in for my fenders, and cut down the hood. I've got more massaging to do to make it fit right but its close.

getting tabs tomorrow to finish up the belts, and some expanded so I can wrap up the corners this weekend.

rover67
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
man, that thing looks really good.

J Kimmel
02-07-2013, 08:27 PM
thanks, I have a picture in my head, I'm just hoping I can get it there.

Uncle Ben
02-07-2013, 08:31 PM
I really dig the dovetailed front! Looks really good Jeremy!

J Kimmel
02-10-2013, 08:19 PM
got a late start today, breakfast brunch for a friend

I actually got my hood bar cut and lowered about an inch so the hood sits down better, its almost there.

I also cleaned my steering box up (still have to tear it down and rebuild) but I got the mounts all built for it. I drilled a couple holes in the main tube and added some sleeves and then cut some plates and stuff for the top bolt. Aside from a few nuts and bolts its been nice, I've been using lots of scrap I have laying around in my garage :)

First one is for you Travis, look I rounded the teeth off too...still managed three more holes with it though :lmao:

rover67
02-10-2013, 08:54 PM
sweet, I was wondering when the shock hoops were gonna get tied in.

You gonna have to mess with the suspension now that the frame will let it work? I bet it's gonna be awesome.

J Kimmel
02-10-2013, 09:07 PM
I'll re-tune the whole thing. It used to work flawlessly and then it broke :)

I'm swapping the 2.0 rear air shocks for 2.5's, so that will make a big change too. I'm excited to spend a day tuning and then try it on the trail :)

J Kimmel
02-17-2013, 08:05 AM
a little more progress, its slow but getting there. Seems like every night I work on it there are a million little things but I'm getting them wrapped up one at a time. I am hoping to whittle it down to just wiring in the next couple of weeks.

I still have to make the hood mounts, but the fenders are on, the seat belt mounts are also done. I will bolt them all down for good later, I want to herculine the interior first but I'll wait a bit on that.

Made the winch mount yesterday too, I bridged the 2" tube frame with a couple pieces of 3/8" x 2" angle iron and welded it in. Winch sits on there nicely now. I also capped the ends of the tube.

J Kimmel
02-17-2013, 08:10 AM
I was thinking about covering the side marker holes with some sheet, same way I did my old fenders but then I thought about maybe putting some side markers in there and cut out the back and mount some small LED lights in there...Also kicking around adding a little more to the front end, maybe a small hoop but I'm not too sure, I might leave it as is.

I cut 13" out of each side of the hood...I'll continue with this one for now but I think I'm going to get a new one. Not knowing what I'm doing I cut out the supports and so now if you grab it wrong its a floppy mess

ScaldedDog
02-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Man, you do great work.

Mark

J Kimmel
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
thanks Mark, been trying my best to get it done!

RockRunner
02-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Looking good Man You will have this done in no time Way before cruise Moab

J Kimmel
02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
planning on next month at the latest, figure a couple Penrose trips before Moab :)

AxleIke
02-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Looks awesome Jeremy!

J Kimmel
02-20-2013, 06:30 PM
keep moving...keep moving...

rebuilt my steering box with Randy's help (thank you!) and mounted up all my steering stuff...I was able to re-use everything just a little trim and clip here and there. It'll all be coming back off here shortly so I can paint everything and re-install. I opted to stick with my old ram assist since it worked so well and I really really really am not interested in spending much money on this. Heck all the new nuts and bolts and assorted tabs adds up all by itself :rolleyes:

I also started on my corners, passenger side first. I cut back my slider on an angle and capped it and then started adding some toob...I am becoming a recycle master, almost everything I'm using is scrap. The curved tube right by the firewall was my old windshield bar cut in half :)

baja1d
02-21-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm guessing that the two sticks I left over there to build my sliders also got recycled??? Just kidding, consider it a donation for the space my 40 took up!!! Looks great

J Kimmel
02-21-2013, 10:09 PM
nope still have em

AxleIke
02-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Dude. Awesome. Does a six pack of your favorite brew buy a spot in the passenger seat for a run? :D

J Kimmel
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Dude. Awesome. Does a six pack of your favorite brew buy a spot in the passenger seat for a run? :D

doesn't cost that much, its pretty much always open, no one ever goes :confused:

AxleIke
02-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Post up when you are going. Between you and Kevin, I'd like to get out a few more times this year on some of the fun trails.

J Kimmel
02-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I'll let you know. Don't normally post up here, no ones ever interested ;)

Air Randy
02-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Then just call me, because I'll go. You really need to at least get that thing started and verify if the power steering gear works and doesnt leak like a sieve. I'm laying awake at night because the suspense is killing me :D

J Kimmel
02-22-2013, 06:21 PM
lol it'll be a while...good lord I looked around today and the list just doesn't seem to be getting any shorter :(

rear shocks, driver side footwell, passenger side footwell, paint, cut the driver side fender, mount the hood, mount everything permanent, herculine the interior, nevermind mounting a fire extinguisher, catch can....man o man my head is going to explode!

oh and the leaks, and the tuning....:(

someday, but at least for now plenty of time before Moab. I've decided I will be at CM this year.

J Kimmel
02-24-2013, 04:07 PM
little more today, I got both corners tubed in. Next step will be to add expanded in there to fill the gaps (I can also see better through there :D) I'm also going to add some sort of tube for a dead pedal on each side.

I put in a piece to fill in the A-pillar area, I'll do the DS next.

slllllooooooooooooooooooooooooow...

Although I bet I spent an hour today collectively wandering around the garage looking for a tape measure or a sharpie :rolleyes:

Oh an Travis turns out I've only got one of those 2 sticks left, let me know when you need them otherwise I'll replace them when I'm done :)

J Kimmel
03-01-2013, 06:04 PM
got the other fender mounted and cut, hoping to get the hood mounted and done this weekend, as well as the shocks in the rear so I can get it back down on its own weight.

I got my wheels yesterday, 17" racelines, and I also picked up some 3" LED pods from a vendor on pirate, they will fit nicely in the fenders where the corner markers go. I figure between that and hopefully getting a 30" LED lightbar here soon I should have enough for night runs :)

AxleIke
03-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Those LED's should be nice.

30" bar eh? You and Root will be a pair! :D J/K, it'll be a great addition.

Updates look great. I know how much time goes into each of these little steps, very impressive work!

J Kimmel
03-02-2013, 11:37 AM
its sort of got the nickname "one eyed monster" for the longest time since all I ever had were stock headlights (terrible) and after bouncing around one of them always fell out (more terrible). It'll be a change having good lights. I don't generally wheel at night but with good lighting I could be convinced :)

Those LED's should be nice.

30" bar eh? You and Root will be a pair! :D J/K, it'll be a great addition.

Updates look great. I know how much time goes into each of these little steps, very impressive work!

TIMZTOY
03-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Freaking sweet dude
I love it, I might just have to come see it.
I'm off work Sunday's and Wensday's if you need a hand. I also might need to borrow your bender later this year unless I find a power unit for mine

J Kimmel
03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm usually around, and yes I could really use a hand. Most everyone offers, and then no one is around so I get to do it all myself :)

Uncle Ben
03-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm usually around, and yes I could really use a hand. Most everyone offers, and then no one is around so I get to do it all myself :)

You couldn't possibly expect me to get my hands dirty or heaven forbid break a nail.....WTF dude?

J Kimmel
03-06-2013, 05:05 PM
You couldn't possibly expect me to get my hands dirty or heaven forbid break a nail.....WTF dude?

lately I can't expect anyone to do that :lmao:

RedCreeper
03-06-2013, 08:04 PM
wish you were closer.

J Kimmel
03-07-2013, 07:32 AM
its not that far, come on over :)

Air Randy
03-07-2013, 07:57 AM

So I guess rebuilding steering gears doesnt count? :thumb:

J Kimmel
03-07-2013, 08:11 AM
So I guess rebuilding steering gears doesnt count? :thumb:

touche

RedCreeper
03-07-2013, 08:23 AM
its not that far, come on over :)

For some its not far, not going to wine but no job no money no gas. :eek::eek:

shoot me a PM of when your around during the week and what you may need help with. If i can I will be there. no guarantees i will be any help but always looking to learn more about this fab stuff and weld better.

J Kimmel
03-07-2013, 08:25 AM
For some its not far, not going to wine but no job no money no gas. :eek::eek:

shoot me a PM of when your around during the week and what you may need help with. If i can I will be there. no guarantees i will be any help but always looking to learn more about this fab stuff and weld better.

well that makes sense :)

today, and sunday I think :)

Uncle Ben
03-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Don't need a steering gear with 1800psi! Real tractors don't have no stinking linkage!

RedCreeper
03-07-2013, 08:41 AM
well that makes sense :)

today, and sunday I think :)

what about next week? Looks like i might start a new job (pray pray pray) and will have only weekdays available. No more weekend fun. :(

J Kimmel
03-07-2013, 09:19 AM
what about next week? Looks like i might start a new job (pray pray pray) and will have only weekdays available. No more weekend fun. :(

should be fine too, I'm pretty flexible

good luck on the job!

RedCreeper
03-07-2013, 09:45 AM
thanks. shoot me the info and we can set up a time.

TIMZTOY
03-09-2013, 07:05 PM
im free tomorrow ( sunday ) if you need my help let me know. im not doing a damn thing and will most likely be bored all day watching tv..

I belive you have my phone number.. if not PM me

RedCreeper
03-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Im available Wednesday morning if you need a hand. shoot me a PM and we can set something up.

J Kimmel
03-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Im available Wednesday morning if you need a hand. shoot me a PM and we can set something up.

sorry I've been busy. The weather is getting better, which is great! Except other stuff keeps getting in the way of finishing lol :) I'll be in my garage all day Sunday regardless of the weather getting it done.

Thank you Tim for coming over last Sunday and helping. We got the front two hood pins in place, and the ready for the back two and we also got the door bars done on the driver side.

Next up I'll be making a dash somehow of of my door bars, and I have to re-do the rear shock mounts as well as the last two hood pins. I think thats it as far as all of the fabricating. I have to close in the footwells too with expanded, that *should* be pretty easy.

Then I can bed line the interior and paint the new tube, and permanent mount stuff...Maybe even squirt the tins in a new shiny color :)

TIMZTOY
03-14-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm open pm or text me what time you'll be starting

J Kimmel
03-22-2013, 08:26 PM
little more done...rear shock mounts have been re-worked so the new bigger shocks will clear and I was finally able to get it back on all 4 for the first time in about 9 months :)

tonight I started mocking up the new bedsides (thanks Isaac via Tom :) )

I had my old ones cut on an angle, these I think I'm going to work the tail lights back in so it looks like a bobbed bed. Its a fair amount more work but it'll be unique (until I smash it which is hopefully much later than sooner...)

Uncle Ben
03-22-2013, 09:50 PM
wow....what a change! Looks really cool and bad arse, Jeremy! I bet you are jonsin big time to wheel it!

J Kimmel
03-22-2013, 09:55 PM
ya can't wait, the visibility is unreal now. I'm excited to get it out. really really excited

J Kimmel
03-24-2013, 12:47 PM
That's what I'm looking for :)

Air Randy
03-25-2013, 12:42 PM
I found a nice mini-truck/4Runner steering column in my parts stash I have no need for. Plus it has a nice Grant 3 spoke custom steering wheel on it. It's yours if you can use it.

J Kimmel
03-25-2013, 12:59 PM
quite possibly Randy, I'm going to order a disconnect kit so a wheel would be needed.

Air Randy
03-25-2013, 09:59 PM
This is what you want then.

J Kimmel
04-02-2013, 07:35 AM
well I'm committed to that wheel Randy :) old one is pulled and junked and I have a disconnect.
All my wiring should be here today, we are making essentially a new harness with a 12 circuit weatherproof fuse block. Most everything will be off of toggle switches.

Got my bedsides cut and mounted, need to finish welding them up so I can get them cleaned and painted for Moab....26 days and its on the trailer :eek:

tons and tons and tons of little things...I have a punch list started so every day I am trying to knock some stuff out. Oh and not sure if I can get it done in time but the radiator is going in the back eventually, that will let me move the winch back under the bodywork and have a zero approach angle :)

AxleIke
04-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Looking great Jeremy! Nicely done!

DaveInDenver
04-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Nice Jeep. Seriously though, huge transformation.

RedCreeper
04-02-2013, 05:16 PM

:eek: Again with the JEEP comment.... lmao

AxleIke
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM

Uh oh, them's fightin words !!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

wesintl
04-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Nice Land Cruiser :P

Uncle Ben
04-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Jeremy, I'm soooo sorry! Someone stole your sweet rig and left a mini truck in it's place! Dude, I'm all in if you want to take on the bastids! :rant:

J Kimmel
04-02-2013, 09:02 PM
eh you can call it whatever you like I'm pretty easy going :)

DaveInDenver
04-02-2013, 09:09 PM
eh you can call it whatever you like I'm pretty easy going :)
Bitchin' Camaro?

J Kimmel
04-02-2013, 09:29 PM
now you're talkin

I can tell people my parents drove it up from the Bahamas

PabloCruise
04-03-2013, 04:58 AM
now you're talkin

I can tell people my parents drove it up from the Bahamas

But the Bahamas are islands?

DaveInDenver
04-03-2013, 06:33 AM
OK, the important thing right now, you ask what kind of car I have.

DaveInDenver
04-03-2013, 06:34 AM

http://www.armbrusterweb.com/public/music/deadmilkmen_bitchincamaro.mp3

subzali
04-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Nice FJ...

J Kimmel
04-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Nice FJ...

its actually a commander overland edition

Air Randy
04-03-2013, 08:20 AM
I found another steering wheel. It is 1" smaller diameter than the Grant wheel and is much deeper dished. You can have whichever one that you like the best. The Toyota adapter on the Grant wheel will fit the other wheel too so either one will work.

When will you be ready to bring the rig over and put it on the hoist to start dialing-in the suspension?

Do you want to grab the steering wheels now or get them when you come over here?

J Kimmel
04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
I found another steering wheel. It is 1" smaller diameter than the Grant wheel and is much deeper dished. You can have whichever one that you like the best. The Toyota adapter on the Grant wheel will fit the other wheel too so either one will work.

When will you be ready to bring the rig over and put it on the hoist to start dialing-in the suspension?

Do you want to grab the steering wheels now or get them when you come over here?

I'll need them before, mine is gone now.

I'm not sure when I will have it down there, needs to be soon. A little more body work then hopefully paint (that can always wait a bit) but the main thing right now I think is wiring and a dash. I'm hoping to have it mobile in a week or two at the most, realistically the weekend before Moab will be at your place finishing last minute stuff :)

PabloCruise
04-03-2013, 11:46 AM
OK, the important thing right now, you ask what kind of car I have.

Sorry for the delay - ah, what kind of car do you got?

J Kimmel
04-03-2013, 11:51 AM
A bitchin....

CAMARO!

PabloCruise
04-03-2013, 07:07 PM
My folks bought me a bitchin' Camaro with no insurance to match,

So if I happen to run you down, please don't leave a scratch.
I ran over some old lady last night a the county fair,
And I didn't get arrested because my Dad's the mayor,
So you better get out of my way when I come though your yard
Cause I've got a bitchin' Camaro and an Exxon credit card!

PabloCruise
04-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Very sad - the iPhone tags the word Camaro as a spelling error.

What is happening to society?

J Kimmel
04-08-2013, 10:20 AM
a little update, I got the rear firewall in, I started closing in the interior and yesterday I started painting the front clip tube work. I got the steering and radiator installed and buttoned up, just no fluid in there yet.

J Kimmel
04-08-2013, 10:24 AM
My friend Brian started in on the wiring for me, he's taken the huge mess of factory wiring down to a simple, super clean panel that's got all the fuses right on it, all the switches, a master kill and room to expand right on it. It will using connectors on the backside so you can literally disconnect the entire panel and pull it out if need be. I'm pretty sure I've spent more on this than anything so far, but the fact that I will never have an electrical issue and its so incredibly clean and tidy makes it worth it :)

Need custom wiring done? Call this guy, and he enjoys it....:eek:

I'll be building my dash hopefully this weekend at the latest, around this piece of art and she should be a runner :D

Uncle Ben
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
a little update, I got the rear firewall in, I started closing in the interior and yesterday I started painting the front clip tube work. I got the steering and radiator installed and buttoned up, just no fluid in there yet.

Is that a 12 Volt guy panel? Looks awesome!

J Kimmel
04-08-2013, 10:59 AM
No Brian did the whole thing, he just told me the stuff to order.

Uncle Ben
04-08-2013, 11:10 AM
No Brian did the whole thing, he just told me the stuff to order.

Nice!

Rezarf
04-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Love the dash panel, that is such a form follows function example right there. I love that it is clean and accessible the only downside is once you have done the wiring right there will be so little "need" to have access! :D Looks great.

J Kimmel
04-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Ya me too, that's why I had him do it. Should be easily accessible for service but it is doubtful ill ever need to :)

J Kimmel
04-10-2013, 10:28 PM
finished my dash, kept it real simple...I also made an adapter for my air filter tonight. Cut a plate and welded on some 3" exhaust pipe and put this filter on there.

should be all set to start up this weekend :) Its only been almost a year :(

I'm getting down to odds and ends and cosmetic stuff :)

baja1d
04-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Man that looks great

Uncle Ben
04-11-2013, 01:27 AM
It looks awesome although there is still some mintruck there. Need to go back in and cut deeper! ;):p::D

AxleIke
04-11-2013, 07:53 AM
It looks awesome although there is still some mintruck there. Need to go back in and cut deeper! ;):p::D

Says the guy who's been slowly adding mini truck to his land cruiser! :eek:

AxleIke
04-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Great work Jeremy!

J Kimmel
04-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks, its moving slowly but last night seemed like a good amount accomplished. Wiring will be all wrapped this weekend, and I *think* aside from shock tuning and leak mitigation the bulk of whats left is cosmetic. Hopefully it warms up a bit here very soon so I can start painting tubes and stuff...gotta bedline the interior then I can permanently mount the seats and belts.

I'm really starting to look forward to Moab and then Rock Junction at the end of May :)

J Kimmel
04-14-2013, 01:01 AM
It runs :)

First try almost all new wiring :)

RockRunner
04-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Awesome Brian does know his stuf!

J Kimmel
04-15-2013, 09:37 PM
little more done tonight :)

I sanded the fenders good and shot some primer on them, I also trimmed them out for my LED's in the front and got those mounted. Yesterday I put some bondo on the rears, I think I need another light coat over the gas door I welded over. I apparently mixed up my ram assist lines, so I fixed that and bled out the system.

Here's one for someone who knows more than me...I filled the radiator with coolant and fired it up. I left the cap off, and let it run to get up to temp. It finally got I guess to temp and it started spewing coolant, like a geyser :eek: I shut it off and it stopped. Then I put the cap on, and repeated. I opened the cap once I shut it off really slowly and then re-filled and it seems ok?

What would cause that? I've seen plenty of times where the level will just drop when the t-stat opens and you add more, never saw old faithful:confused:

J Kimmel
04-15-2013, 09:41 PM
new wires and some :eek: of the old wires...I've got a kitchen trashbag full of the old crap :)

AxleIke
04-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Looks Awesome dude!

Not sure on the radiator? I've done the same as you (left the cap off, and run it until the Tstat opens, then add more), never had that either.

Can't wait to see er out on the trails!

J Kimmel
04-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Looks Awesome dude!

Not sure on the radiator? I've done the same as you (left the cap off, and run it until the Tstat opens, then add more), never had that either.

Can't wait to see er out on the trails!

I'm still searching around to find out. I didn't drive it, just let it idle up to temp. It never seemed to get above normal but I've filled more than a few over the years and once the t-stat opens the radiator level generally just drops, and you fill it back up as it circulates. This spewed everywhere, like 3-4 inches above my radiator :eek:

rover67
04-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Wow what a total transformation. nice work...

I wonder if the block just had a bunch of air in it that was working itself out or allowing coolant to boil and it just spewed.

J Kimmel
04-16-2013, 09:58 AM
thats my thought. The temp never got above 200 which is the normal temp...

TIMZTOY
04-16-2013, 08:17 PM
it most likely over heated..
nothing to major.. that's normal behavior on some cars..
even if using the spill free funnels it will do that.. that's why they come with a plug so that the system will build pressure and cycle normally..
you should have nothing to worry about

Air Randy
04-16-2013, 11:05 PM
It sat so long since it last ran I'll bet the block was dry or almost dry. Since it was not hot the t-stat was closed when you put water in it. Once it got hot enough for the t-stat to open, it dropped cold water into a very hot and dry block. So it flashed into steam creating the geyser. Your t-stat may have been stuck with crud too from drying out that made it stay closed a little longer than normal.

If the block was say 3/4 full of water and 1/4 of air, the block water will just warm up until the t-stat opens and the radiator water replaces the air bubble. The water mixes but there is no flash of steam, you just see the radiator level drop.

If you install a new engine or have one that has dried out, you can fill the radiator with water heated on the stove just below boiling so that it will cause the t-stat to open and fill the block part ways before you even start the engine.

AxleIke
04-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Ah, I like Randy's answer. That would make perfect sense.

J Kimmel
04-17-2013, 10:49 AM
thats what I was thinking as well. Seems to be ok, I'll find out this weekend when I shock tune, I'll be running it around.

J Kimmel
04-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Almost done, hopefully everything works smoothly in Moab :)

Uncle Ben
04-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Wowsers! That looks really awesome Jeremy! Now you're not going to want to get it dirty!:D;):thumb::thumb:

J Kimmel
04-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Ya I know I'm already not wanting to scratch it...just need the first one out of the way :)

AxleIke
04-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Looks AWESOME! Nice work man!

ScaldedDog
04-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Nicely done!!!!

Mark

J Kimmel
04-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Mark you going to hit a trail with me?

J Kimmel
04-28-2013, 08:18 PM
one more, I decided to paint the bottom of the fender to break up the orange, thanks Tim :)

I even put gold pinstripe on it

ScaldedDog
04-28-2013, 08:19 PM
I am. I expect to be there mid-day on Wednesday. What trails are you doing again? I'm on P'canyon Thursday, Moab Rim Saturday, and I can't remember Friday.

Mark

J Kimmel
04-28-2013, 08:41 PM
looks like leading spike thursday, leading rim saturday, friday off

ScaldedDog
04-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Wanna do something Friday? Rusty Nail?

Mark

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

TIMZTOY
05-01-2013, 06:44 PM
no problem bud :thumb:

J Kimmel
06-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Some days you're the sh*t

Some days you get sh*t on

Uncle Ben
06-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Just taken a little nap.....

J Kimmel
06-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Backflip. Hard.

Uncle Ben
06-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Backflip. Hard.

So sorry man! Even though that's the risk of the game we play it sucks, especially on fresh fab! It still looks bad arse and we all know chicks dig body damage! ;) :thumb:

rover67
06-01-2013, 12:14 PM
bummer to see it on it's lid.

how messed up is it? are you alright?

J Kimmel
06-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Mostly sheet metal damage. mass air got smashed, so it would not start. Dead pulled it backward up the fall and out. Otherwise mechanically it's fine I think.

ScaldedDog
06-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Backflip. Hard.

Ouch! Where were you?

Mark

J Kimmel
06-01-2013, 10:10 PM
I was on Boulder Canyon in Montrose.

I drove everything clean up to that point, figured I would winch, figured I would give it at least one attempt and low and behold it stuck the perfect line, almost :o

it works better than ever though, and I can't believe just how stable it feels in every direction :)

I just need to figure out why it won't run, I have one tube to replace and it should be good to go.

Uncle Ben
06-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Ouch is right! Looks like a rough ride down! Glad you two are alright! Good thing the dog wasn't with you!