PDA

View Full Version : Radio Wanted For 40

Crash
01-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Finally getting around to putting some tunes in the 40 and I'm hoping someone has an old-school am/fm/cassette or CD deck they aren't in need of anymore. Something that will fit a '77 40 dash in place of the stock radio. Not really looking for Hi-Fi just some tunes for driving around town to.
Thanks!

rover67
01-29-2013, 05:22 PM
If you still have to old 40 radio can I snag that from you? Or is that what you are looking for?

Crash
01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks for asking the question, Marco as I could have been a little more explicit. The cheapo Sanyo deck installed now was a replacement for the original OEM AM radio and hasn't worked since I bought the truck. Who knows where the AM radio went - probably the same place the OEM tool roll went. :( Another aftermarket radio would do just fine. I've seen where original OEM radios go for outrageous sums and I don't need anything like that.

Hulk
01-29-2013, 06:36 PM
I might have one. Let me dig.

corsair23
01-29-2013, 06:47 PM
If Hulk doesn't I might but I'm not sure it will fit in the dash...

Crash
01-29-2013, 06:57 PM
If Hulk doesn't I might but I'm not sure it will fit in the dash...

Don't know diddly about what single DIN means but I think single DIN is what works. Please tell me if that's wrong. What does fit is the kind of radio where the volume stalk on the left and the tuner stalk on the right go through holes in the dash and has threaded shafts that secure the radio to the dash with nuts. As was mentioned, old-school and I'm sure somebody has something that will work just taking up space in their garage, right?!

Hulk
01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Don't know diddly about what single DIN means but I think single DIN is what works. Please tell me if that's wrong. What does fit is the kind of radio where the volume stalk on the left and the tuner stalk on the right go through holes in the dash and has threaded shafts that secure the radio to the dash with nuts. As was mentioned, old-school and I'm sure somebody has something that will work just taking up space in their garage, right?!

That's actually smaller than single DIN. But I think I have what you need, from my old green FJ40. It was a AM/FM cassette deck. Need to see if I still have it.

corsair23
01-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Ahhh...yeah - forgot about the nobs and stalks. What I have would be a single DIN with buttons...Won't fit without cutting and modding up a bracket etc. which you don't want to do so unless you install a Tuffy console what I have won't help you much.

rover67
01-29-2013, 07:42 PM
cool, glad it looks like you are finding what you need :)

I was looking for an old one AM only style. people are pretty proud of them which is why i was hoping you had one and wanted to swap it out :D I'd rather get it from a club member

nattybumppo
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
I believe I have an old cheapie like that too. But you're an audiophile...

Crash
01-29-2013, 10:59 PM
I believe I have an old cheapie like that too. But you're an audiophile...

Audiophilia doesn't apply in 40s. ;) An old cheapie would work fine, as long as it works.

subzali
01-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Rocky Mountain Cruisers might have one they'd be willing to part with. I could have picked one up from them at their garage sale last year for pretty cheap had I been able to justify it at the time...

Oh and good luck finding ANYthing that will fit without cutting except the stock radio...

Crash
01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
The Sanyo that's in there now fits just fine and no cutting appears to have been done. It's so old though, it has mechanical push buttons for station tuning!

velorider4
01-30-2013, 01:50 PM
I got this one off of e-bay last summer. Even has a usb port for connecting the ipod. No cutting of the dash but I did have to trim the cover a little on the right side to fit between the dash pads.

This is not the same one but close. Mine is a Pyle as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Shaft-Style-AM-FM-Car-Stereo-Radio-Plays-MP3-Files-SD-Card-USB-Stick-/271144683313?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f217b8731&vxp=mtr

Hulk
02-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Steve, I looked through all my old stereo stuff, and I don't have the old AM/FM/Cassette unit anymore. What you need is a "classic 2-knob car stereo." You can still buy these new... here's one locally (http://www.qualitycaraudio.com/store/viewitem.asp?sku=PLR22MPF) for less than $50.

Sorry I couldn't help!