PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro

shellb
02-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Just dropping in to introduce myself!

I'm from Colorado (grew up in Longmont) but have been living out of state for the last 10 years. Right now I am in Charlotte, NC and a member of ONSC.

I will be moving back home soon (my wife and daughter already moved back, she has a white fjc)!

I have had a few cruisers over the past couple of years and just bought another one (see below) that I will probably need your guys help on at some point.

I look forward to meeting everyone once I am out there in the next couple of months. Also look forward to NSFAC and BCB :)

Brett

Lars
02-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Welcome. Good looken rig!!

Snowrun
02-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Very cool cruiser!!!

MountainGoat
02-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Welcome Brett!

Is that a Mitsubishi, or a Raider? Just kidding! :lmao:

Your truck make me :drool: How about some specs on that bad boy?

shellb
02-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys! I messed up the pics so reposting them.

FJBRADY
02-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Welcome

shellb
02-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Raider for sure!

93 HZJ75 with 220kms.

Currently working on the interior, winch, suspension, factory 70 wheels with 255s. Should be done by the end of the month I hope and then ready for a cross country journey to CO.

Uncle Ben
02-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Welcome! Wes should be thrilled to have another Raider to play with! :lmao: Sweet truck! Northside is the place to be! :thumb::thumb:

nakman
02-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Welcome, and welcome back!

Jacket
02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
I think we'll need the back story on that 75. Legal import?

Welcome. North Side rules!

shellb
02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the welcome's! Agree on the North Side :).

My wife is living in Broomfield and my Dad's company is really close to BCB.

Rig came through Miami...I'll tell more over beer.

shellb
02-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Small world - I just realized Nathaniel was one of the Founders of BCB. His brother Ross was one of my roommates in Boulder.

I'm assuming he/they are still into cruisers? Does he post here?

nakman
02-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Small world ... Ross was one of my roommates in Boulder.

I'm assuming he/they are still into cruisers? Does he post here?

Not so much, Ross is more of a non-societal, non-conformist guy. But you knew that. :D He's got a diesel-converted 80 series now that is built up pretty well though, works in Longmont.. come to BCB for the full low-down! :beer:

Corbet
02-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Welcome, love the 70 series.

shellb
02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Not so much, Ross is more of a non-societal, non-conformist guy. But you knew that. :D He's got a diesel-converted 80 series now that is built up pretty well though, works in Longmont.. come to BCB for the full low-down! :beer:

That is great to hear! :D I would love to catch up, been forever.

I can't wait to stop by BCB sometime, think my buddy Stan helped with some of the interior design as well.

And my Dad's shop is litterally right across the railroad tracks, I just told him to stop by for a pint.

Small world...

RedCreeper
02-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Welcome. Yes... someone else is up here in this hood. haha

wesintl
02-08-2013, 04:20 PM
cool, i didn't know they made extended version Raiders..

loudbay
02-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Cool truck! Welcome (back) to the club!

shellb
02-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys! Obviously it is the custom stretched version ;).

Good progress today. Got the interior further along - all panels and doors sound deadened, diamond plate installed, dual batteries set-up, led interior/dash lights, dual light bars on the arb, steering wheel wrap!

Tomorrow it is off to get some professional help...

Some updated pics.

My buddies 80.

shellb
02-16-2013, 12:47 PM
More progress this week!

Darin got the suspension and wheels/tires on.

He also got my Warn Zeon installed.

Couple of pics.

farnhamstj
02-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Cool rig, Wecome.

shellb
03-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Some updated pics!

Plus got the trailer pack and hooked to the Ford. Heading your guys way on Friday morning!

Hope to be at the first event in April!

shellb
04-07-2013, 10:59 AM
So I finally made it out to CO and have moved into a short term apartment in Broomfield!

I do have a question for you guys as we get ready for Moab:

I would like to install dual electric fans to help keep things cool on the run out there and back. Any suggestions on shops who can help?

RedCreeper
04-07-2013, 08:21 PM
I installed one on my Jeep. Was not hard at all. That is if your into doing it yourself. Got all the parts from Summit. As far as shops sorry can't help you there. Have a hard time trusting anyone. Can help if needed.

wesintl
04-07-2013, 08:52 PM
nice rig. if you have a proper cooling system that is up to snuff it should be ok.

shellb
04-07-2013, 10:18 PM
I installed one on my Jeep. Was not hard at all. That is if your into doing it yourself. Got all the parts from Summit. As far as shops sorry can't help you there. Have a hard time trusting anyone. Can help if needed.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I might just try to do it myself...I don't have a ton of skills but like learning

shellb
04-07-2013, 10:21 PM
nice rig. if you have a proper cooling system that is up to snuff it should be ok.

Thanks Wes. I am a little concerned because the temp gauge got up there a few times on the way out here. Darin thought my fan clutch needed to be rebuilt, so I don't think everything is working as it should.

Maybe I just need to learn how to drive it in the hills...

RedCreeper
04-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I might just try to do it myself...I don't have a ton of skills but like learning

Hardest part was making it look pretty. :eek: haha. Shoot me a pm if you want to tackle it. I work weekends so usually available Tuesday - Thursday.

DaveInDenver
04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks Wes. I am a little concerned because the temp gauge got up there a few times on the way out here. Darin thought my fan clutch needed to be rebuilt, so I don't think everything is working as it should.
Yeah, exactly. Rebuild or replace the fan clutch. Electric fan(s) aren't going to fix overheating on the highway. You don't want the fan turning on the highway and the clutch is probably stuck, which screws up the air flow through the radiator.

If it's overheating in traffic or on the trail, then maybe. But even then fixing the fan clutch usually solves it (it's /not/ turning when it should). That assumes you're still running a stock engine, adding a turbo or supercharger would change the equation.

shellb
04-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the help gentlemen!

I spent some time on mud yesterday looking at a fan clutch rebuild and consensus seemed like that was the best approach.

Dave, sounds like you agree with that.

My 1HZ is stock, no turbo.

DaveInDenver
04-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I do agree. Toyota designed these trucks to work any place on Earth. Fix what's broke and go from there, they are not hard or expensive to rebuild. Plus do a coolant flush and fill if you haven't in a while and clean out of the bugs and sticks from the radiator. You might have too much coolant and not enough water in the mix. Anti-freeze is not particularly good as coolant.

I should say that when we stick bumper and winches in front of the radiators that can make a difference, but especially yours comes with optional factory and dealer bull bars and winches, so a functioning cooling system should be fine. I'm also not a fan of relying on add-ons for such a crucial thing as cooling, particularly electric fans. OTOH, when I put the ARB on my truck I actually fight with it running too cool, sometimes on long descents my temp needle drops to cold. It's got two vents under the winch that are supposed to help direct air to the radiator when driving across the Outback and they seem to do their job well.

shellb
04-11-2013, 11:06 AM
That's great info, thank you Dave! Much appreciated.

Here is the list of things I need to tackle prior to Moab:

Rebuild fan clutch
Install new seats, including new 3rd for my daughter
Replace wiper linkage if it comes in
Route switches and gauge into dash
Buy CB, recovery kit and extinguisher

Going to hit it hard next week!

shellb
09-18-2013, 01:48 AM
Making some changes! Let me know if you are interested and want to meet up for a drive.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/bj70-hzj73-hzj75/771813-1993-hzj75-troop-carrier-nc-registered-co-located.html

Brett