PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: FJ60 A/C components

subzali
02-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I have an idea I'm noodling around in my head, but I need parts to see if it will work.

Let's start with FJ60/late FJ40 with A/C front passenger motor mount bracket w/A/C compressor mount.

If that works the way I'm hoping it will, I will move on to needing coolant piping, battery tray and brackets, and other stuff in that general area (alt. bracket, 3 row pulley - don't know if it will even fit?).

If someone has pics instead of parts or would care to compare for me, that would be awesome too.

Anyone with an FJ60 engine on a stand that would care to share a look?

Thanks

SteveH
02-06-2013, 05:29 PM
PMed you - you're welcome to the AC bits from the FJ60 engine..

rover67
02-06-2013, 11:29 PM
i have a weird bracket for a vintage air ac compressor for a 2F that might be useful.

I think it relocates the alternator and moves the ac compressor up high on the pass side..

SteveH
02-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Here are photos of the FJ60 setup. The alternator is attached to the AC compressor, and both are fairly high up in the engine compartment. It's hard to tell whether the brackets would bolt up to a '77-era block. It looks like one of the AC brackets bolts to the water pump, so you might need to run a later water pump (?)

DaveInDenver
02-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Not sure what is your project, but once I can get the refrigerant (R134a) sucked out of my A/C I was planning on removing it. You could have the whole mess. It's not a factory system and not a Cruiser, so it might not be useful to you.

60wag
02-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Steve's FJ60 setup is different than the 60s I had. Mine had the AC pump down low and the alternator up top. tha AC had it's own belt.

subzali
02-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Yep Steve, that's not a factory A/C setup. Dang.

Here's what I was thinking/trying to do:
My current OBA setup uses a Sanden rotary compressor in the location of the smog pump. I would like to resmog my '77 FJ40 but still keep my OBA. I don't like the bracket that Marco is talking about that mounts a York above the alternator and moves the alternator down low. I'd rather have water down low kill my optional OBA compressor than kill my alternator. So I'd like to replicate the FJ60/later FJ40 w/A/C setup, if possible, on an older ('77) 2F engine.

First off, I'm not sure all of the FJ60 components would be a direct bolt-on in an FJ40 anyway (the battery tray for example). I know I'm going to need the following at a minimum:
-3-row pulley
-front passenger motor mount w/A/C bracket
-lower water pipe
-probably a different alternator bracket

I'm not sure if any of this will mount to an earlier engine, and I haven't been able to find anybody having done this or researched this. So if you have, let me know. Especially if there is a deal-breaker that will prevent this from working.

So thanks for the offers Marco and Dave, but I'm going to pass on them for now ;)

Steve-looks like I'll only be able to compare pictures with you of bosses/threads on the engine block. The bracketry ain't the same. Thanks though! :thumb:

SteveH
02-07-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm going to wager that not all FJ60 OEM setups were the same. My '87 wasn't set up this way. SOR shows two different belt sets for FJ60 A/C, with a 4/86-8/87 date range for the newer design.

This is from Loudbay's FJ60, which was a Nov. '81 production date, IIRC.

subzali
02-07-2013, 09:33 AM
I don't think that's a NipponDenso compressor. Looks like a Sanden to me.

rover67
02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
the AC compressor bracket on that motor looks just like the one I have. Weird.

I posted it up on mud a while back and a few folks mentioned with pretty decent certainty that it was some aftermarket bracket from like a vintage air system or something.

DaveInDenver
02-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I have an aftermarket kit using a Seltec compressor that looks just about the same as that one. The connections are a little different, but the body of the compressor is the same. Bracket is of course different, being a 22R. Single pulley and dedicated belt. I wonder if dealer installed A/C systems vary, not always factory parts.

Rzeppa
02-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Steve's FJ60 setup is different than the 60s I had. Mine had the AC pump down low and the alternator up top. tha AC had it's own belt.

Doesn't look like mine either. The AC has its own belt with an idler as tensioner.