PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk welding lids

euroford
02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
i've been using a Miller Pro Hobby and have always liked it with the MIG, but i don't think its hacking it with the new TIG machine. I have it turned all the way dark, and it seams fine while welding at the 120amps that i've been running on my current work. but... for up to another day afterwords i get some gnarly headaches in bright light.

just now i broke away from the KOH coverage and walked out to get the mail, being in the sun for 5 minutes my head is screaming! its fadding off in the time i've written this.

this is the nicest lid i've ever had.... what might a better one do for me? will it just be darker? or maybe will it provide better contrast? that would be awesome, as i'm afraid that if the lens is just simply darker i won't be able to see enough around the edges of the arc. i suppose i could deal, but it would not be awesome.

or maybe should i just try putting another shade over top of this one and deal with it?

i'm going to try turning up the sensitivity, maybe i'm just catching too much flash before the lens goes dark? i'll try that out today.

arrg. i'd rather spend money on parts/materials than a helmet! :rant:

rover67
02-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I only have the normal non switching helmets. I have a #10 glass for most stuff, a lighter one for low amperage stuff (20-40 maybe) and a #11 for aluminum when it is turned way up (100-200).

how does that correlate to the settings on yours?

euroford
02-08-2013, 03:39 PM
The dial goes to 12, and I have it cranked all the way up.

rover67
02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
that's kinda dark.. maybe it is the reaction time?

do you see spots after you are done welding or not?

Uncle Ben
02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
I have a NexGen helmet and love it. I would buy it again! I have an older SpeedGlass that is my back up and still works very well although being old it is the smaller window and the darkness dial really never made a huge amount of difference. My NexGen recharges the niCad batts well if it's used quite a bit.

Squishy!
02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Ditto on reaction time. When I was welding on my SAS with my dad I remember not turning up the sensitivity and it was killer and hour later. Amazing that the nearly undetectable millisecond it takes to react can hurt your brain so much.

euroford
02-08-2013, 06:44 PM
thanks for the tips guys, i turned up the sensitivity and ran three rods of filler through today (nor more drain hole in the bottom of my front housing), i guess i'll see over the next day or so if that makes a difference.

i've never had a problem with spots or anything, only just a highly increased light sensitivity for a day or so after a good welding session.

I'd be pretty happy if it does, and i can try turning the darkness back down a little bit.

i'll check out the Nextgen lids if i decide i need a new one!

rover67
02-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Yeah I was gonna say that usually if it is not dark enough you'll get spots.

Hopefully you figured it out with the sensitivity.

loudbay
02-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Lol@ missing the thread of Tim experimenting on himself!

RedCreeper
02-09-2013, 12:11 AM
I started with a NexGen and loved it. I did all processes in school with no issues. Recently I had a problem with it and they did a warranty exchange on the lens. So I did not want to take a chance on something happening on the job so i got a Speedglas 9001x and love this thing. It has side lenses so you dont feel enclosed when the hood is down. And it is lighter. If you like the miller products maybe step up to the digital series. The instructors got them at my school and liked them. Want to come by and try them both more then welcome. I have all processes in the garage to try out.

RedCreeper
02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Just for reference MIG is usually a 10 shade and TIG is usually a 9. Unless your running Dual shield then the shade will go to 12. That stuff is hot. And then stick is 9 or 10. It depends on the welder on where those settings are used. I was told in school to turn it down till you see spots then got up one. Hope this helps.

euroford
02-09-2013, 07:56 AM
I always ran around 8-9 with the mig and never had any problems (miller 252, .030 75/25 mostly on 1/8 and 3/16). but due to the smoke etc that setup isn't isn't very bright in comparison.

I have a funky bathroom light fixture with three 60w bulbs setting over top of my welding table and adjusted the sensitivity so it will just blink on/off when i look up/down. any more sensitive and it would just stay dark, but it is a lot more sensitive than it was before.

today i plan to work a lot on my front cruiser housing and tomorrow i'm going to install an artec truss on a guy's jkr front housing. so if my brain is trying to claw out of my skull on monday i guess i'll know that a new lid is required.

chilitoy
02-09-2013, 09:13 AM
I've had my Speedglass 9100x for about three years now. Use it about 4-8 hrs a day. Headgear or whatever is the most comfortable and has a ton of adjustments. Lens and viewing area are huge and also has a ton of settings. And you can fit a respirator under it! I've had a bunch of different hoods and this is my favorite and most comfortable yet. Havent had to change the battery yet either.:beer:

euroford
02-10-2013, 10:44 AM
i have to say that i think this helped a lot, thanks a bunch guys!

of course, then i managed to get some grinder crap around my goggles and scratched an eye last night. i'm having some bad eyeball mojo this week. arrrrg!!

Uncle Ben
02-10-2013, 10:46 AM
i have to say that i think this helped a lot, thanks a bunch guys!

of course, then i managed to get some grinder crap around my goggles and scratched an eye last night. i'm having some bad eyeball mojo this week. arrrrg!!

You have gotten weak Grasshopper! The steel on those Toyota parts you're working on is trying to toughen you up!

euroford
02-10-2013, 07:55 PM
You have gotten weak Grasshopper! The steel on those Toyota parts you're working on is trying to toughen you up!

well i'm glad its working! hey, wonder over for a beer this week, i got paid 5 gallons of pretty noice homebrew for welding that axle truss today! i can't stand around in the garage and drink all of it myself.

Uncle Ben
02-10-2013, 08:10 PM
well I'm Glad Its Working! Hey, Wonder Over For A Beer This Week, I Got Paid 5 Gallons Of Pretty Noice Homebrew For Welding That Axle Truss Today! I Can't Stand Around In The Garage And Drink All Of It Myself.

Ok

RedCreeper
02-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Glad you got it figured out. If you do decide on getting a hood the offer is there to come test em before you decide. I used to run 9 for mig on mine but was a bit bright. No spots but bumping it up one help me stay straight. I have the 252 also running mixed gas. As far as metal crap in the eye I have found contacts are a great second defense. lmao.

euroford
02-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the offer! but thankfully, i think i'm good and don't need a new lid right away. i spent 7 hours yesterday working on this jk axle, a vast majority of that under the hood, and the headaches haven't come back.

arg... out of gaz on both machines now though!

RedCreeper
02-11-2013, 11:30 PM
good to hear. yeah i ran out of argon also. been practicing for a test on wednesday. ugh!

loudbay
02-11-2013, 11:43 PM
well i'm glad its working! hey, wonder over for a beer this week, i got paid 5 gallons of pretty noice homebrew for welding that axle truss today! i can't stand around in the garage and drink all of it myself.

:beer: booyah!