PDA

View Full Version : I want to upgrade Alternator - I have 2 thoughts, need opinions

CardinalFJ60
02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
I still have a stock output alternator on my 60. with all junk I now run (2 hams, CB, FM/CD, Fridge, lights, etc. It's time to upgrade. When I idle at night with the lights on...my dual batteries 'de-link' due to lower voltage.

Option 1:
Vanatta's in boulder is ready and able to build me an alternator - he sourced a case and can wind/build one to higher specs. it would be essentially a Toyota style alternator using the same bracket. I would then keep the one I have now as a backup.

Option 2:
look into a GM style alternator to give me the flexibility to go to any Napa, AutoZone, or similar for a replacement in the event it goes south on me. On the Outlaws run this year, we had a rig lose the Alt and had to drive hours to get a replacement...the local Napa might have had an AC Delco or something(?)

What do you guys think? (I don't necessarily want to go Mean Green if I can do it cheaper).

thanks!

nakman
02-11-2013, 04:20 PM
What else would you need to modify to run a GM style? New bracket? Different belt? Metric to English voltage converter? Just curious what was preventing you on the Outlaw's run from just going to Napa. :confused:

I kinda like option1 though, reminded me of reading Kraig's "frankenator" story in the bios.

Shark Bait
02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
How about this deal? Still available.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=15013&highlight=welder

CardinalFJ60
02-11-2013, 04:33 PM
What else would you need to modify to run a GM style? New bracket? Different belt? Metric to English voltage converter? Just curious what was preventing you on the Outlaw's run from just going to Napa. :confused:

I kinda like option1 though, reminded me of reading Kraig's "frankenator" story in the bios.

we needed an 80 series alternator and the only one around was in Price. (mine didn't crap out). That's what got me thinking about something more common.

I'm still researching what it'll take...I assume bracket is avail from a handful of folks (Georg, marks)? the right pulley and wiring it correctly (should be a no brainer) the thing that's killing me is the metric to english converter ;-)

Hey Chris...I don't know how to weld (yet), but that alternator's got me really thinking!! any idea what it would take to install on the 2F? my 60 ain't too different that your old 40. *wait...did you V8 that??

Shark Bait
02-11-2013, 04:39 PM
we needed an 80 series alternator and the only one around was in Price. (mine didn't crap out). That's what got me thinking about something more common.

I'm still researching what it'll take...I assume bracket is avail from a handful of folks (Georg, marks)? the right pulley and wiring it correctly (should be a no brainer) the thing that's killing me is the metric to english converter ;-)

Hey Chris...I don't know how to weld (yet), but that alternator's got me really thinking!! any idea what it would take to install on the 2F? my 60 ain't too different that your old 40. *wait...did you V8 that??

Hey Shawn, the thread has a wiring diagram. It should go in pretty simply. I haven't had a 40 in over a year now. :o I'd love to sell it to you. That's a great price for everything. :)

nakman
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Slight hijack here, but for the record it's possible to get donations of second batteries from other trucks on the run, then wire them all up inside the vehicle in parallel. just run jumpers out the hood and in the window to the front seat, then multiple batteries as needed from that one. Just one additional group 31 was all it took to get Marco home from Moab this year, and we were yakkin' on the radio the whole way too. Another reason to carry jumper cables. [/hijack]

CardinalFJ60
02-11-2013, 04:48 PM
great point. being the belt and suspenders kinda guy, I'm always looking for angles. :D:hill:

now I think I have to buy that alt/welder setup and learn to weld....on the trail. :hill:

rover67
02-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I can't believe it made it. on a fuel injected vehicle also...

Three group 31's in parallel and it made it all the way from Slickrock, to Denver to drop Perry off, then back to Boulder.

So I'll get my flame suit on, but I think I'd suggest a GM alternator.... It *might* be easier to find one at a random NAPA than a toyota alternator. BUT.. I was in Summit County and needed a starter for my 60 (GM 5.3) a year or so ago and it had to be shipped from Denver. It was impossible to push start the thing in -20 temps. So then again it may not be easier to get a GM Vehicle replacement part... I dunno..

That'd be the only reason though..

I mean there isn't anything preventing you from replacing a hopped up stock Toyota alternator with another stock Toyota one from a NAPA right?

That probably didn't help at all..

Uncle Ben
02-11-2013, 09:05 PM
I personally would do a GM conversion. On the other hand Vanatta is awesome and have never let me down on anything they have built or rebuilt for me!

Inukshuk
02-11-2013, 09:22 PM
What is the custom build cost?

Thanks for the marg!

Jacket
02-12-2013, 02:53 AM
If you are always carrying a spare anyway, then why switch? GM's might have better availability at a parts store, but not in a group of Toyota wheelers.

Just playing devil's advocate....

Forget the new alternator and just buy a white 100 series....:rolleyes:

DaveInDenver
02-12-2013, 05:51 AM
I'd go with a GM alternator. I ended up getting a bracket from a dude on Pirate who makes them. Although, I have not painted and installed it yet. It's designed for the one-wire 12SI, 10SI and CS130 type cases with V-belts. The CS130 is typically 105-amp and found on late 80s GM V8 RWD cars and trucks, usually ones with a 5.0L 4 barrel, for example a 1988 Caprice.

If you want to stay sorta true, the 12SI was 94-amp and sometimes uses 8mm mounting hardware. That was on a ton of 1984-1987 GM cars, for example the 1987 Buick Regal 5.0L had the metric 12SI.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/motor-tranny-t-case-performance/830388-22r-re-gm-alternator-bracket.html

I'm waiting until my alternator gives up because my Optima finally died recently and that dinked the checking account replacing it. No sense removing perfectly functioning alternator at this point. That battery was an Aurora-made Optima blemish that was at least 8 years old. Got my money's worth out of it. Plus I figure if my stock 23 year old 60-amp OEM charging system kept that Optima alive that long, it does not deserve to be unceremoniously tossed.

Rzeppa
02-12-2013, 06:03 PM
There is yet another paradigm to the philosophies being debated here.

Whenever I see stuff for sale, being parted out for cheap, etc., I snarf it up and pile it in my pile of parts. I don't need it now, but I might some day. Sure enough, when my daughter's 60 seized the smog pump, I had a used spare on the shelf. When Marco needed a roll bar for his 40, I had a spare sitting there ready to go. And so on.

I have never found Toyota parts, even for my old Land Cruisers easier or harder than other makes, like when I had a Chevy van with a SBC 350 in it. I can get a fuel pump or a starter or an alternator for any of my F or 2F powered Cruisers just as easily and quickly at NAPA as I could with the Chevy.

Back to Shawn's original question, I would have my 60 alternator rewound if I needed more juice.

:twocents: