PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive high-zinc motor oil

SteveH
02-19-2013, 08:58 AM
I have been looking for a high-zinc content motor oil that isn't a 'racing oil' at $7.50/quart.

I stumbled across a motor oil sold at Walmart - the brand is 'ACCEL' and the weight is 10W40. It's $2.50/quart and meets the SG standard, and says on the bottle 'for use in cars manufactured before 1989 that require SF/SG oils'. I found the MSDS online and emailed the mfg. to ask about the zinc level.

MSDS: http://216.81.211.106/MSDSweb/00C61422_AC14SFP6_USENG.pdf

The manufacturer rep told me the zinc content was 1150 ppm. This is much higher than most current oils, and I read online (FWIW) that SM rated oils have 0% zinc. In '07, some oils had around 800 ppm.

So, for us owners of ancient iron, this oil may be an inexpensive option that provides higher levels of zinc. I am running it in an old ATV that is spec'd for SF-rated oil, and will start using it in my '83 GMC plow truck.

I'll try to post pix later of the bottles, as seen at Walmart.

SteveH
02-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Pix of bottle

DaveInDenver
02-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Awesome. Wonder if the oil itself is any good, would hate to switch for zinc and find out the stuff is not great otherwise.

subzali
02-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Pictures says API SF, which is good.

I've heard/read no newer than API SL or CI for our F/2F engines.

SF is min. 1500 ppm ZDDP
SG is min. 1200 ppm ZDDP
SL is min. 1000 ppm ZDDP

My FJ40 is due for an oil change soon...

EDIT: I have the same concerns as Dave...would it better to stick with a "known" (assuming "better") brand oil and just add zinc additive?

spectre6000
02-19-2013, 10:23 AM
I've always used Shell Rotella T. It's decent quality, inexpensive, and you can get it just about anywhere. Any oil intended for diesel engines should fit the bill though. The zinc content was regulated out of passenger cars, but its still kosher in diesels. The downside to diesel oils is that they're generally only available in heavier weights (which is not necessarily a downside with the multiweight oils if we're honest). You can also buy an additive that you can put with whatever oil you like. It tends to be on the pricier side, but definitely cheaper than the oils you've been buying if you're attached to whatever brand/weight.

subzali
02-19-2013, 10:33 AM
I just searched MUD and came up with a ton of hits:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/334664-engine-oil-lacking-zddp.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/577809-2f-engine-oil.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/490993-what-weight-oil-you-running-your-2f.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/424341-cam-lobe-wear.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/131604-what-oil-do-you-guys-use.html

SteveH
02-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Zinc is not entirely kosher in diesels, now that they all have cat. converters and many diesel oils have less zinc than previously. I can only seem to find 2008-era info on the web about ZDDP, and am having trouble find detailed info for what is sold in 2013, in either gas or diesel-rated oils.

Oil manufacturers do a lousy job of stating what is in their motor oil at any given time. You would think this would posted clearly on their websites, but finding current, relevant info seems nearly impossible.

subzali
02-19-2013, 12:15 PM
That's why you still need to look when buying engine oil, and look for CI rated diesel engine oil. CJ has a reduced amount of zinc, and if there are any further ratings then I think they have even further reduced amounts of zinc.

nuclearlemon
02-19-2013, 01:43 PM
The zinc content was regulated out of passenger cars, but its still kosher in diesels..

not true anymore. the zinc content has been reduced in diesel oils too now that they run emissions equipment also.

i'm going to try the accel. they're manufactured by warren, who does a lot of store brand oils. cheaper oil usually means less addiitves/detergents. i don't want detergents in a 51 year old motor

spectre6000
02-19-2013, 04:10 PM
I didn't know about the recent diesel developments. Good info. If you want to be certain, get the ZDDP in a bottle. Then there's no doubt.

SteveH
02-19-2013, 04:52 PM
My objection to ZDDP in a bottle is that it's typically $15/bottle and there's no indication of how much ZDDP is in a particular formula. It's also not widely sold at auto parts stores (at least O'Reilly, Autozone, Pep Boys). If you have found a good locally-sold ZDDP additive, please tell us where you got it.

Rzeppa
02-21-2013, 04:16 PM
When I got my F motor back from Mile High Performance for me to assemble, they instructed me to add a quart of ZDDP for the break-in oil. I went to O-Reily and asked for it, and they looked at me like I had an eye in the middle of my forehead. I explained why I was asking and we went and looked at their shelf of additives. Sure enough, there was a quart of something or other that when you read the label closely it said it was ZDDP, but the ZDDP parts wasn't featured prominently in the name or in large print on the front. I thought I took a picture of it to remember what it was, but can't find that picture right now. It came in a yellow plastic one quart bottle, I believe it was around ten bucks I think?

Back in the day I used to use CLM, which had zinc, copper and lead microspheres suspended in an oil base, you added a bottle to your oil when you filled it at change. Those bottles were maybe 6 oz. or so? I think they were based in Colorado and I remember trying it after Tom Martino tested it and got good results. I haven't seen it in years, I wouldn't be surprised if the formula was regulated out of business due to the lead.

SteveH
02-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks Jeff - sounds like my experience. If you read online, you'd think there were huge displays of this stuff, but that's not the case.

Rzeppa
02-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Okay, apparently I didn't take a picture of the bottle, I just kept the bottle in case I needed to remember what it was. So I took the pictures yesterday:

ttubb
02-24-2013, 02:14 PM
This is what I have been using in the 40. Here is the link and specs.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=121&pcid=1

spectre6000
02-24-2013, 03:01 PM
I found it at the closest FLAPS (AutoZone in west Arvada) no problem (the clear stuff with the red cap that says ZDDP in big letters), and I used to get it at O'Reilly (in Dallas) all the time. To be honest though, I never really paid that close attention to the price of it...

nattybumppo
02-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Good info. I have been looking for a good source of ZDDP additive to use. Amazon always has deals but it is a little hard to tell exactly what you are getting. There is a Redline distributor that sells to the public in Englewood just a block or so from Sante Fe. It's where I get my MT90. They have everything Redline. I can't remember the name of the place though. It's a little hot rod speed shop too. I'll have to get some of that ZDDP additive there. $13 for a 16oz bottle isn't too bad IMO.

MountainGoat
02-24-2013, 05:28 PM
There is a Redline distributor that sells to the public in Englewood just a block or so from Sante Fe. It's where I get my MT90. They have everything Redline. I can't remember the name of the place though. It's a little hot rod speed shop too.

It's called 3R Auto Racing (http://www.3rauto.com/). Good place if you want Red Line stuff.

Rzeppa
02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Robbie has always had good things to say about Redline products.

SteveH
05-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Since I started this thread - some follow-up. The Petroleum Quality Institute rates motor oils, and this link shows that Chevron Delo 400 has quite a bit of zinc and phosphorus. Might be a good oil to run in an FJ40, at least for the summer (15w-40).

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May%202013/consolidatedhdeo.html

There's a ton of good info at the main level of this site - they test ATF and car-rated motor oils.

Jacket
05-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Perfect. I just dumped a couple of gallons of Delo into my 40 last week 'cause they were out of the Rotella.

jps8460
05-26-2013, 12:08 AM
From a background in racing, I ran comps break-in adative after a build with radical lobe profiles and a Ford lifter where it is absolutely critical.......since my 2f rebuild I've ran rotella-t. I polished my journals to the low side of the tol. (ie. larger clearances). I'll e sure and let you guys know when using rotella-t fails me.

Rzeppa
05-29-2013, 10:57 PM
I looked for and could not find any Accel at wally world or at Carquest so I ended up buying another bottle of Rislone ZDDP additive.

nuclearlemon
05-30-2013, 07:53 AM
I looked for and could not find any Accel at wally world or at Carquest so I ended up buying another bottle of Rislone ZDDP additive.

weird. i've had no issues finding it. commerce city, tower road and stapleton all carry it.

NoVaGator
07-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Thread resurrection...

I run Brad Penn oil in my '88 911 for the higher zinc content. It's about 6.25/qt when you buy by the case.

Rzeppa
07-19-2013, 08:05 PM
I just bought a whole bunch of Ace Hardware private label at $2 a quart on sale, it is normally around $4.50 or so. I figure for that kind of discount, I can justify the $6 a bottle for the Rislone additive.

SteveH
06-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Thread resurrection again. The 10w-40 Accel oil bottle at Walmart has been revised again and now says 'Contains at least 1100ppm Zinc'. Still $2.67/quart.

Rzeppa
06-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Thread resurrection again. The 10w-40 Accel oil bottle at Walmart has been revised again and now says 'Contains at least 1100ppm Zinc'. Still $2.67/quart.

The Evergreen Walmart doesn't even sell quarts any more, they've gone to the big jugs.