PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Recommendations?

AxleIke
02-20-2013, 09:04 AM
My old man is looking to build a garage on his property, and it will need a foundation poured before we can build it.

That being said, he has some sites picked out, but we'll need a company that has an engineer that can assess the ground as well. This property is up in the mountains, and there are numerous underground springs as well as lots of decomposed granite.

I know a few of you are in related businesses. Anyone have a great company they'd like to see some business go to, or, any companies we should actively avoid?

Any other tips and advice for searching this out would be appreciated. Never done this before, and just getting started in researching what goes into a foundation.

Cheers!

DaveInDenver
02-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Where approximately is the property? IOW, what county, I assume it's in Colorado.

Rezarf
02-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Isaacs folks are up in Baily, not far from the Slaughter house trail area.

AxleIke
02-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Up in Park County, about 45 min from Denver up 285. Sorry I forgot to put that in.

SteveH
02-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Depending on what he's using it for, it would be much cheaper to build a pole barn and then perhaps put concrete down later for the floor. You would need to know the codes in Park County before you get too crazy with this idea.

AxleIke
02-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Well, Park County is likely pretty lax. That said, it is supposed to be a parking garage, as well as a shop, with power, heat, etc...

I'm not sure what a Pole Barn is, but I'll look into it. Thanks!

SteveH
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
In many counties, a pole barn requires no permit. By code, they are generally intended for storage of animals or diesel-fueled agricultural implements, etc. Having said that, many people build them, pour a floor, and they become a shop. By typical definition, a pole barn does not have a foundation, but rather uses 4x4 or 6x6 poles buried 4-6' underground, spaced every 8'-12' or so, and then have supports and siding attached to them. There are dozens of pole barn building companies all over Colorado who could help answer your questions.

Telly
02-20-2013, 06:51 PM
You are smart to conduct a geotechnical survey prior to pouring concrete. I don't know of any concrete subs that have one in house. If it was me, I would google "geotechnical engineer park county" to find someone local that might give you some free advice. If there are potential underground springs, they may want to drill test bores to verify water levels. they can also determine the correct depth of the footings and compaction requirements for your slab on grade. Caissons with grade beams may be the most cost effective method. Doug

AxleIke
02-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Wow! Thanks guys. Great advice, I appreciate it. I'll look into that stuff. Cheers!

gr8fulabe
02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Not to hijack, but if anyone has similar knowledge for Boulder/Boulder Canyon, I'd love the info. I've been dreaming of a garage for years!

Thanks,

Inukshuk
02-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Based on your first post I'll assume you have spoken with the county building department and need the engineer per county requirements. If not, this would be a different conversation. e-mail my friend Scott Schaefer sheridanmountainexcavation@q.com as he works the front range area and may have names. Otherwise x2 on google "geotechnical engineer park county" .

I doubt you would need caissons for a garage in all but the most unstable, sloped, or wet areas. 99% odds are you will have a "thickened edge 4" slab on grade of 3,000 PSI concrete reinforced with wire mesh, with the edge going down as deep as the local frost depth requires." For greater strength you could go to 6" and rebar. Either way there will be rebar in the edge grade beam. Additional compaction work is only required if you place fill material, and there are many methods. Decomposed granite will probably not require any compaction.

Pole barns are nice options too.

Why I know all this is 15 years of real estate law and having built 3 spec houses.

Air Randy
02-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Wow! Thanks guys. Great advice, I appreciate it. I'll look into that stuff. Cheers!

My shop is a pole barn. It is much less expensive to construct a pole barn than to pour a standard footer type foundation, then build the walls with dimensional lumber. Even if you do soil tests you still have a concern with frost heaving, etc. With the pole barn your foundations are the concrete piers that get poured around the poles, the bottoms of which are set below the frost line. If you pour a floor ir tends to "float" so its less prone to heaving and cracking.

Feel free to come down and look at the construction of my shop. I also have several books on building pole barns you are welcome to.

AxleIke
02-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Based on your first post I'll assume you have spoken with the county building department and need the engineer per county requirements. If not, this would be a different conversation. e-mail my friend Scott Schaefer sheridanmountainexcavation@q.com as he works the front range area and may have names. Otherwise x2 on google "geotechnical engineer park county" .

I doubt you would need caissons for a garage in all but the most unstable, sloped, or wet areas. 99% odds are you will have a "thickened edge 4" slab on grade of 3,000 PSI concrete reinforced with wire mesh, with the edge going down as deep as the local frost depth requires." For greater strength you could go to 6" and rebar. Either way there will be rebar in the edge grade beam. Additional compaction work is only required if you place fill material, and there are many methods. Decomposed granite will probably not require any compaction.

Pole barns are nice options too.

Why I know all this is 15 years of real estate law and having built 3 spec houses.

Daniel, your advice is very much appreciated, I know you have a ton of experience in this. Thank you very much.

My shop is a pole barn. It is much less expensive to construct a pole barn than to pour a standard footer type foundation, then build the walls with dimensional lumber. Even if you do soil tests you still have a concern with frost heaving, etc. With the pole barn your foundations are the concrete piers that get poured around the poles, the bottoms of which are set below the frost line. If you pour a floor ir tends to "float" so its less prone to heaving and cracking.

Feel free to come down and look at the construction of my shop. I also have several books on building pole barns you are welcome to.

Randy, I'd love to check that out. And the books would be great, thank you!