PDA

View Full Version : Looking for electric Help

InsanityIsBorn
02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Good Day all,

I have a 1951 Chevrolet Pickup that has some wiring issues. I need to get it up and running as I need it to be my DD again. I am looking for someone (maybe you, or someone you can recommend?) that can either help me track down the gremlins, or can do it otherwise.

Please let me know!

spectre6000
02-25-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm pretty good with gremlin hunts, and '51 is early enough to have some pretty slow gremlins. What's the time frame?

treerootCO
02-25-2013, 02:14 PM
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/electrical/wiring/index.htm

BBGS
02-26-2013, 03:32 AM
Good Day all,

I have a 1951 Chevrolet Pickup that has some wiring issues. I need to get it up and running as I need it to be my DD again. I am looking for someone (maybe you, or someone you can recommend?) that can either help me track down the gremlins, or can do it otherwise.

Please let me know!

Isn't there a company that sells complete wiring harnesses. I heard about them a while ago and they sounded great to use for projects like this.
Anyone ever heard of someone like that?

loudbay
02-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Painless wiring. Summit sells them, not sure about your application though...

spectre6000
02-26-2013, 09:20 AM
If the wiring is in tact, it's not difficult to make a harness (just takes longer). Then you don't have to worry about the colors and connectors and such in those crappy painless kits. Usually cheaper too and you end up with parts for future use.

loudbay
02-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I agrree, remaking the harness will be a better choice in the end, although I imagine finding quality connectors to replace old connectors may be annoying.

InsanityIsBorn
02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
I believe the wiring is in good enough shape. Maybe a few points that need some patching.

But the issues are as such:
First my turn signals stopped working
Then the brake lights
Now my taillights and headlights.

My radio and horn still work (these are the only remaining electrical components)
Just as an fyi, it has a generator and not an alternator.

Rzeppa
02-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Don't fixate on the wiring. Connectors and switches are all suspect in older rigs!

spectre6000
02-26-2013, 06:45 PM
When I get my hands on an older car, if the wiring insulation is at all brittle I shotgun the whole thing. If a quality harness is available (and the time/money equation works out), I do it and be done with it. Otherwise, they're a breeze to make with proper planning and forethought.

Making a harness is very likely your best option (assuming early '50s American cars are similar to their German counterparts) as you can easily spend about the same amount of time tracking gremlins as laying out the harness. You start by buying spools of the correctly colored wire, boxes of the correct connectors, any sort of loom used, and any other things you might need (heat shrink for instance). Then put masking tape labels near each connection (i.e. left headlight terminal #1). Then carefully remove the harness from the car (and clean the grounds as you do so). Lay the thing out on a sheet of plywood (whatever is cheapest that's still smooth enough to be able to write or stick tape on and can take and hold a nail), and figure out the best way to spread it out so everything can be traced (assuming you intend to make other copies for sale or future projects). Then put down nails at bends and trace and label everything (and make any modifications you want to). Once that's done, start laying out and cutting the new wire, loom everything that get's loomed, add your connectors, duplicate tape labels, and you're done! Installation is the reverse of removal. Components are nice to replace too if they're available.

maxsdad
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM
Do your instrument and/or dome lights work? they're powered through the light switch along with the head and stop lights..doesn't explain the turn signals though. Are the turn signals original equipt?I believe the wiring is in good enough shape. Maybe a few points that need some patching.

But the issues are as such:
First my turn signals stopped working
Then the brake lights
Now my taillights and headlights.

My radio and horn still work (these are the only remaining electrical components)
Just as an fyi, it has a generator and not an alternator.