PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy?

Telly
02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Just saw this in the Craigslist Highlights thread posted by MDH33. I'm considering a new job that does not offer a company car. So I may be in the market for a new vehicle. This would be soooo bad a$$ as my new commuter. I don't know much about this rig or values except they are a tough to import into the country. Seems like big money to me but seriously, how cool would it be to own of a BJ71?

Opinion on the rig? Part availabilty would be a big disadvantage. Maybe omissions? Someone needs to talk me off the cliff.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/3629571819.html

SteveH
02-25-2013, 01:24 PM
If you were going to put few miles a year on it, maybe - but not if you just need an old Camry beater for Denver commuting. That's what Camrys are for. Remember: having two collector cars are like having two girlfriends.

60wag
02-25-2013, 02:14 PM
While I think it might be fun to have a right hand drive vehicle for a hobby toy, I think it would be a PITA for a DD, not to mention a safety hazard.

subzali
02-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Is it 24V? I'm guessing probably. Take that into consideration.

'twood be sweet, I'd go for a BJ74 myself. LHD would be more awesomer though :thumb:

Telly
02-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Damn...you guys are a bunch of fun haters. :D

Telly
02-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Remember: having two collector cars are like having two girlfriends.

I hear ya...I have the 78 40 and a 68 camaro. I would have to sell the 78 to buy the BJ71...which is crazy talk. If I only had money to burn :rolleyes:

Keith
02-25-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm kinda new to offroading and such but it looks like whoever designed that bumper (I'm assuming it's aftermarket) was a complete idiot... Makes me wonder what other stupid things they might have done to the truck.

DaveInDenver
02-25-2013, 05:34 PM
That's probably the way Toyota built it or at least a dealer option in Japan. The winch is factory PTO I believe. The front trailer ball is probably not OEM, though.

The one in question.

http://images.craigslist.org/3K73I33H55Ie5N25Ead2j87d306bc397616ba.jpg

Here's an another stock BJ74:

http://www.jdmlandcruisers.com/wp-content/gallery/1986-bj74-diesel-toyota-land-cruiser/bj74-4.jpg

wesintl
02-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Offroading is subjective. It's a factory PTO bumper. While it limits the approach angle it's not designed for serious offroading. more like fire roads and pto operations. you know, recovering Nato 100 series cruisers from starbucks...

Telly
02-25-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm kinda new to offroading and such but it looks like whoever designed that bumper (I'm assuming it's aftermarket) was a complete idiot... Makes me wonder what other stupid things they might have done to the truck.

That there is factory bling...chrome and all. The Japanese market loves that stuff.

Corbet
02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
I've also considered something like that as my commuter/business vehicle but it just does not add up. For half the cost I can get something that gets nearly twice the MPG and I don't have to reach over the passenger seat to get my cheeseburger at the drive through. Parts, tires, PM, etc.. all cheaper on a 4cyl beater.

I'm close to bitting the bullet and trying out a Scion XB as a DD. Just wish we got the AWD version like the JDM did.

Keith
02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
That there is factory bling...chrome and all. The Japanese market loves that stuff.

I guess it does transform the hood into a nice seating area, if tailgate sitting just isn't your thing.

subzali
02-25-2013, 06:43 PM
They don't call those things porches for nothing!

spectre6000
02-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Do it! You only live once, and you spend a lot of that life behind the wheel. Might as well drive something fun! Making a toy a DD is only risky if you only have one toy! Two toys means you're pretty much guaranteed to have one running at any given time (more so if you're good and proactive with a wrench).

I'm DDing my '74 40 until I get my '57 Ghia up here, then I'll go back and forth between them as the mood strikes until I either finish the restoration on my '58 Beetle or get another bus or a Porsche (which will then enter the rotation). All toys, nothing modern. If one toy is down, drive another.