PDA

View Full Version : Transporting your Hi Lift jack

nakman
02-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Let's discuss some ways to safely & effectively transport a Hi Lift jack.. what setups do you think work well, and which ones don't work so well. Be sure to give consideration to how easy it would be for you, or someone else, to remove your jack when it's actually needed. Also what maintenance implications are there relative to your storage choice.

What have you got?

Maybe we should start with a picture this time... discuss :D

FJBRADY
02-25-2013, 01:53 PM
I carry mine in the front of the truck above the winch. Access is two wing nuts and it is usable.

When not in use the hi-lift holds a can of beer safely and conveniently while working on the truck.

subzali
02-25-2013, 01:58 PM
In my stockish FJ40, I have stored my 4' Hi-Lift in a couple different places. One is spanning the width of the tub behind the front seats, and the other is my current favored location ratchet-strapped lengthwise along the driver's side fender.

Neither are very accessible, but I have not found that on the trails I've been on that quick access is very important.

I thought that to have it inside would help keep it clean, but in an FJ40 everything gets dirty anyway, and it would probably be better to keep it somewhere where I see it more often and can get to it to clean it easier.

I would mount it the way Ricardo and Martin have theirs mounted if I had side steps...

nakman
02-25-2013, 02:07 PM
In my 80 my favorite place was also on the rear wheel wells, I used the holes left behind by the 3rd row brackets to attach it with bolts. I took a 60" high lift then cut it down to 57" to get it to fit there... worked well but as you say wasn't that fast to dig out, as it was usually buried. Plus I would have had to dig out the base from the tool drawer in back, which brings up another issue- if you have to open up a swing out to remove your jack, make sure you're not stuck with your back end against a tree or something. But at least it was clean in there, and I liked where the weight was. And it made for a cool divider for gear behind the back seat, in front of the drawers.

On my 100 I still don't have a good spot. I have tried a few roof rack locations but don't like any of them, and am paranoid I'm going to slip and put the jack through a window. I tried on the bull bar across the two top light tabs, but don't like how it's in my field of view all the time, and how easy it is to bump into. If I had a swing out I'd likely go that route, but I don't, so alas it's leaning up against the wall in the garage right now.

corsair23
02-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Both the LX and the 40 have spots on the rear bumper designed to carry the hi-lift jacks so that is where I put them, when I carry them :hill:

I bought a bag for the larger one that I carry on the LX to help keep it clean. They also make these cool neoprene covers that help keep the working bits clean but are a lot easier to put on and take off than the full cover/bag.

FJBRADY
02-25-2013, 02:13 PM
When I had my FJ cruiser I had it mounted on the side of the roof rack. I did not like that position because I too thought I would drop it through a window. I think the best place for it is on the rear tire swing out standing upright.

subzali
02-25-2013, 02:17 PM
... I think the best place for it is on the rear tire swing out standing upright.

That would be my ultimate location as well :thumb:

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/images/1045jul92012.gif

RicardoJM
02-25-2013, 02:24 PM
I've been carrying mine here since September.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/hibracket/hibracket_010.jpg

...I would mount it the way Ricardo and Martin have theirs mounted if I had side steps...

The lack of side steps should not be an impediment. I'm sure we can fabricate something to take the place of the side step.

Hulk
02-25-2013, 03:18 PM
I've been carrying mine here since September.

The lack of side steps should not be an impediment. I'm sure we can fabricate something to take the place of the side step.

Works great unless you lay your 40 on the passenger side.

Yeah, I did that with my 40. Yoder was there.

DaveInDenver
02-25-2013, 03:23 PM
On top of the bull bar when primarily 'wheeling.

http://www.armbrusterweb.com/tripsfolder/longtripsfolder/rubithon08folder/files/page75_15.jpg

Most of the time it lives hanging on the driver's side bed rail (lower left of photo) opposite the shovel and ax. Out of the elements and more theft-proof, but tough to get out when the truck is packed with stuff. Handle doubles as broom storage for sweeping out the camper.

http://wildernest.armbrusterweb.com/page4/page13/files/page13_3.jpg

Fishy
02-25-2013, 04:32 PM
A guy posted this in the 100 Series section of MUD a few weeks ago. He proudly exclaimed it was the "Best mod under $50". I'm gonna go ahead and put it out there......this ain't the way to carry it, people will get killed. This picture should have a big red DON'T going across it.

100 Series owners....:rolleyes:

subzali
02-25-2013, 04:49 PM
That's fine when it's all nice and shiny and never been used, but what do you do after you've been dragging it around in the mud and snow and actually using it?

FJBRADY
02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
That's fine when it's all nice and shiny and never been used,

That's the only time they are safe

Fishy
02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
I've never used my Hi-Lift on the trail. It's still brand new. I usually carry it, bolted down in the back..... but I also carry a block of wood and my bottle jack. I'm more comfortable using that if I can. Our Jack-it Meeting is perfect for me and I hope to gain some real world knowledge on the do's and don'ts of hi-lifts. I don't care about getting anything dirty as much as I do about it killing me or a passenger in my truck.

DaveInDenver
02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
If the lower strap wasn't a bungie it wouldn't be the worst ever in theory. Knotted 5.5mm Spectra is rated at 14 kN, which is about 3,100 lbf. You've got problems if your passenger compartment mounted 40 pound (18kg) Hi-Lift gets to 14 kN. That's a deceleration on the order of 65 MPH to zero in .05 seconds. Mind you not the car, but the cargo. You'd have to hit an absolutely immovable object. A bungie, yeah, that's gonna break going over a speed bump at Safeway.

That said, if there aren't two 3/8" bolts holding down my Hi-Lift, I don't feel comfortable.

I've used my Hi-Lift a few times. One time as a jack during a field leaf spring re-weld. Another, before I had a winch, I had to recover myself 4 feet at a time out of a snow-filled ditch after skiing up at Butler Gulch.

http://www.armbrusterweb.com/tripsfolder/longtripsfolder/rubithon08folder/files/page75_21.jpg

Corbet
02-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Mine is simply laying on the floor of my 80's cargo area under my dog platform. In an accident it can't really go anywhere. The platform is bolted down. So it might make a thump on its bottom side at most. Hate it there but have not made the time to redesign a tire carrier on my swing out with a mount for the jack yet. But it will be on the swing arm by CM13.

I tried the front bumper mount but did not like it blocking view and access to the engine compartment. Roof rack seems like a accident waiting to happen during access to it. No where is perfect but I like the swing arm the best. If I'm pinned and I can't get to the jack then I can't get to the tire and its all a moot point.:hill:

Squishy!
02-25-2013, 09:34 PM
I recently bought this for my load warrior rack. I really like it and its really secure.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/26/huzuvuhy.jpg

DenCo40
02-26-2013, 08:16 AM
I used to keep mine on the front bumper above the winch. Last summer I moved the HiLift to the back. I like it a lot more.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/denvertaco/IMG_20121125_162847.jpg

RedCreeper
02-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Mine is on the rear of my ARB roof rack on my FJC. Did not like the side mount for the same reason as Brady. This way i can open the tail gate and stand on the bumper to safely remove two wing nuts and get it down. I have not ever used the jack though in the years i have been out. Only to remove the bolt sleeve in some new shocks for my _eep. At 2 am changing them was fun.

smslavin
02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Mine is on the rear of my ARB roof rack on my FJC.

Mine is on the roof as well on the BajaRack. It rattled so much that it sounded like the truck was falling apart. I pulled the foot off and keep it in the tool bag. I also bungied the runner mechanism so it was tight and put on the neoprene cover. No rattles at all now.

Inukshuk
02-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Gobi Rack. But like others have said, it gets such rare use, and the ARB awning needs the rack side, so it may be getting disassembled and stored elsewhere.

nakman
03-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Going to have to give Christo some credit here, as he was the one to remind us of this option last meeting at Jack-It night. I slid apart my jack and separated the handle, put everything but the standard in one of my drawers. Then bolted the standard up on the rack using a couple stainless 3/8" eye bolts and wing nuts I had around. I'm using one of those handle holder things as a bushing to protect the rack and end rattles, will get a second one as it seems to be working great, then I'll replace the modified drill toolbelt sleeve I cannibalized today.

Pics are low light, but you get the idea- almost can't see the standard (so low drag, low clearance) I can still get in and out of my 7' garage door, and the important bits are happy and protected inside the truck. Will run this for a couple months, at least until after Moab.

nakman
03-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Hey remember we're covering Hi Lift Jacks again this year for Recovery Night, next Wednesday. Here's more Hi Lift reading to get you in the mood....

Hi Lift horror stories http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19137

Hi Lift heroes http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19144