PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 1995-2004 XtraCab Tacoma

DaveInDenver
02-25-2013, 03:46 PM
We're consolidating (maybe fully) into one vehicle. Both our cars are getting unreliable and beat-up. So if anyone comes across a nice first gen Taco please let me know. The year is not important, just want something as unmodified as possible (there seems to be A LOT of beat up Tacos out there that people are awful proud of).

Must be XtraCab and have cruise control. Highly desired if it has 5VZ-FE (3.4L) V6, 100K miles or less, TRD package and 5 speed.

Hit me at gunnar_guy -at- hotmail -dot- com or PM.

PatrolMan
02-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Here is a 97 TRD that won't start for $3,000. Needs a bit of work, but for the price could allow for a lot of improvements.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/3600786071.html

DaveInDenver
02-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Here is a 97 TRD that won't start for $3,000. Needs a bit of work, but for the price could allow for a lot of improvements.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/3600786071.html
I saw this and it might be worth $3K to someone, but not to me. It's got 160,000 hard miles on it.

J Kimmel
02-26-2013, 08:05 AM
keep your eyes out, they're tough...I was kicking around getting one about a year ago and was absolutely shocked at what they were going for

Squishy!
02-26-2013, 09:25 AM
There's what looks like a 2003 stepside at the Jag dealer on Colorado v6 TRD red.

OilHammer
02-26-2013, 09:33 AM
You could always get an Isuzu Vehicross. lol...

Actually, I think that's pretty close to what my ideal commuter car would be constructed like. High clearance, low center of gravity. High travel suspension, and stupid power. Vehicross is too old to be exactly that, but it's kind of what they were thinking way back then.

DaveInDenver
02-26-2013, 10:13 AM
It won't be a Vehicross or 4Runner or Cruiser or T100 or Tundra. One of the absolute requirements is a pickup with a 6' box and the dimensions must be those of the 1979 through 2004 Hilux/Pickup/Tacoma. It must be able to accept my WilderNest. Period. I'm not 100% certain I won't spend the money to fix my truck, but it's at the point where I either put a lot of money into it or cut bait. Since there are some things we'd both like, cruise control, A/C and a bit more power it makes more sense to put the money into something that also solves the engine swap, cracked body welds and rust. If we come across the right one we'd maybe even sell the car and my truck to recoup some of the cost.

OilHammer
02-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Easy there, it was a joke. I find this cargurus site helpful....and I recommend looking outside of Colorado. California has great trucks, flights are cheap, and the drive back is just a day and a half. I just did it myself.

But, colorado has some too.
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&embedType=NONE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c3589&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c3986&uncached=false&showInactive=false&newCarsOnly=false&useInventoryService=true&name=entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity&includeAllModelsOption=false&carsWithRegressionOnly=false&ign-makerId-entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=m7&heading=All+Years&ign-modelId-entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d311&includeUnknownTrimOption=false&carsWithRegressionOnly=false&ign-carId-entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c3589&ign-car2Id-entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c3986&zip=80209&distance=NATIONWIDE&modelChanged=true&searchChanged=true&sortType=DEAL_RANK&sortDirection=ASC#listing=41922817

DaveInDenver
02-26-2013, 11:16 AM
I checked cargurus (never heard of that, thanks) and cars.com, those are dealers mostly and I hesitate to get on a bunch of their email lists with a random inquiry. A couple did pop up when I searched them, so working on trying to find contact info on them. Longmont and Laramie are easy for me to get to.

In fact one of them came up 3 times under different years, but is obviously the same truck. Slimy dealer I'm guessing since the truck also came up in private party CL searches with no business info listed. He seems to take photos in the neighborhood near the place to make it look like a private sale.

Flying isn't really an option for me.

corsair23
02-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Another site I've used is carsabi.com

Good luck with the search Dave!!

OilHammer
02-26-2013, 12:17 PM
I hate 95% of dealers. They still really live up to their reputation. The crap that LHM Toyota in the springs fed me was unreal. I can go on and on about all their BS. In the end, it was the two black ravens that landed on the toyota sign and pooped on it right in front of me that really cinched it. I walked away and a few days later scored the ultimate autotrader private sale.

All that said, what cargurus is really good at, is establishing pricing history. You can look in specific markets and see what year/mileage brings what and how long the sales cycle is. When you finally find the killer private sale, you'll know when to jump.

AxleIke
02-26-2013, 01:01 PM
WHOOW Dave, you sure like to do things the hard way eh? :D

I don't have any advice except good luck man. The Tacoma is one of the most frustrating used cars to buy, IMO. People want a ton for total garbage. I mean, 3k for a NON-running truck? Gimme a break.

Course, if I had one I was trying to sell, I'd be pretty happy about it.

I was looking at 4 door 2003-2004s before I bought my 4runner, and was totally discouraged by the outlook.

MDH33
02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
They have insane resale value for sure. When our 2004 Tacoma was totaled, we ended up getting what we paid for it after driving it for a few years and putting 20 thousand miles on it.

PatrolMan
02-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Dave, don't rule out the 2.7 3rz. I had one in my 96 and was REALLY impressed with the power over the 22re. It could pull 75 all the way to Castle Rock with cruise control on without even blinking. I was running all stock drivetrain and 31's. I would gladly buy one again!

PatrolMan
02-26-2013, 09:24 PM
1996 with new tires $4,400. No pics or miles.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3644525287.html