PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Peaks

bh4rnnr
03-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Any interest in a summer run down to the Spanish Peaks? Became interested in them after a delivery trip to Pueblo. Dont know much as far as roads, other than Cordova Pass..

:beer:

baja1d
03-02-2013, 12:10 PM
My Dad had a place on Cuchara Pass. Beautiful area, I'd love to do some exploring. Post up some dates.

Fishy
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm interested.....subscribed.

MDH33
03-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Beautiful down there. That's where I lived and worked all last summer...

bh4rnnr
03-02-2013, 03:43 PM
My Dad had a place on Cuchara Pass. Beautiful area, I'd love to do some exploring. Post up some dates.

I'm interested.....subscribed.

Was thinking sometime in July for this run. Take off Wed and come back sunday?

Beautiful down there. That's where I lived and worked all last summer...

Martin, any suggestions on areas/trails to check out?

baja1d
03-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Subscribed

MDH33
03-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Perry, there's not much as far as difficult 4x4 trails, but there is a lot of great camping and scenery. A good long weekend would be to run Medano Pass from the dunes, then head South towards the Spanish Peaks and go through Gardener towards Laveta. It's high speed two lane pavement and dirt from the East end of the Medano Pass trail down to the peaks. Down near the peaks there's the Cordova Pass road which is just a graded dirt road, but there's a good campsite at the top near the West Spanish Peak trailhead. You can loop that back around on Highway 12. On the West side of 12 near Cuchara, there's a Forest Rd with a couple of nice campgrounds and there's a 4wd rd that goes up to the spine of the Sangres. the trail is called Trinchera peak. Good disperesed camping up there too. It reminded me of Argentine. Shelf roads, mining ruins and views above tree line.

I would be all about this run if I was heading back down there this season, but right now it's looking like I might get to work on the Clear Creek district again and be closer to home this summer :thumb:. ( as long as the gubment doesn't shut down... That would mean all of us low-pay hourly Pee-ons would lose our jobs while those in Washington would keep getting their salaries, pensions, health care, free flights... :rant: ).

nuclearlemon
03-02-2013, 08:16 PM
( ... That would mean all of us low-pay hourly Pee-ons would lose our jobs while those in Washington would keep getting their salaries, pensions, health care, free flights, raises... :rant: ).

fixed it for ya

MDH33
03-02-2013, 09:42 PM
fixed it for ya

Yep.

bh4rnnr
03-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Perry, there's not much as far as difficult 4x4 trails, but there is a lot of great camping and scenery. A good long weekend would be to run Medano Pass from the dunes, then head South towards the Spanish Peaks and go through Gardener towards Laveta. It's high speed two lane pavement and dirt from the East end of the Medano Pass trail down to the peaks. Down near the peaks there's the Cordova Pass road which is just a graded dirt road, but there's a good campsite at the top near the West Spanish Peak trailhead. You can loop that back around on Highway 12. On the West side of 12 near Cuchara, there's a Forest Rd with a couple of nice campgrounds and there's a 4wd rd that goes up to the spine of the Sangres. the trail is called Trinchera peak. Good disperesed camping up there too. It reminded me of Argentine. Shelf roads, mining ruins and views above tree line.

I would be all about this run if I was heading back down there this season, but right now it's looking like I might get to work on the Clear Creek district again and be closer to home this summer :thumb:. ( as long as the gubment doesn't shut down... That would mean all of us low-pay hourly Pee-ons would lose our jobs while those in Washington would keep getting their salaries, pensions, health care, free flights... :rant: ).

Thanks for the thoughts Martin, will check them out (forgot about Medano).

Hopefully things dont come to you being unemployed.

cool breeze
03-03-2013, 07:08 PM
We would love to meet up with you on the way south! In for updates!

Man Jerk
03-04-2013, 11:08 PM
I am very interested in exploring that area if the timing worked out.

Inukshuk
03-05-2013, 05:47 AM
Hayden Pass is nice too.

bh4rnnr
03-07-2013, 09:40 PM
We would love to meet up with you on the way south! In for updates!

I am very interested in exploring that area if the timing worked out.

Would love to have you guys along:cool:

Hayden Pass is nice too.

Researching now:thumb:.

Martin, any thoughts on Hermit Pass?

:beer::beer:

MDH33
03-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Martin, any thoughts on Hermit Pass?

:beer::beer:

I've heard it's worth doing, but because it's and out-and-back, it takes the better part of a day by itself. Unless you were planning on spending a week down there, it would be hard to fit more than Medano and the Spanish Peaks country into a long weekend.