PDA

View Full Version : Jack-It night, March RS meeting

nakman
03-07-2013, 08:33 AM
I think that meeting last night needs its own trip report. (these are not to be confused with official minutes, for the record ;)). But I just wanted to thank everyone for coming out, and for bringing their enthusiasm and positive attitudes, the spirit of last evening's meeting was invigorating. I think everyone in attendance picked up a few new tips, or was at least reminded of something they may have forgotten, which is what it was all about.

Special thanks to Subzali for the patio heat, Mountain Goat for the propane fire, and Mr. Slee for the demo & generous raffle prize. Many more to thank as well, but hopefully a few others can pipe in about their particular experience. I've got some pics, will post in a bit... thanks again, all!

:risingsun:

Fishy
03-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Sorry I couldn't make it. I was really looking forward to this meeting, but I'm just not able to sit/drive yet. Great idea Tim, thanks for putting this together. Next month should be awesome too!

Jacket
03-07-2013, 08:50 AM
It was a fun alternative to the typical meeting. Thanks for the additional effort you guys put in to make it happen.

FJBRADY
03-07-2013, 08:54 AM
I was a last minute cancel, I just could not sych myself up to stand in the cold at night. I happy to hear it was productive and positive.

Well done:thumb:

simps80
03-07-2013, 08:55 AM
I really enjoyed that, and it was a good learning experience.

Good tip on angling the jack base slightly inboard at the base, and using a non-slip material (square chunk of thin rubber mat in Scott Yoder's group) between the jacking and the jacked surface.

So thanks to everyone who put the extra effort in on putting that together, great job! :thumb:

And also thanks to all the raffle donors, I was excited to win Slee's donation!

nakman
03-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Here are some pics of the small group clinics...

nakman
03-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Then back in the larger group, here's one of Brian showing everyone some of the other jack accessories. It's amazing how many ways this tool can be used...

nakman
03-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Tough to take great pictures with your phone in the dark, but you get the idea. Thanks again everyone for coming out!

Also here is a link to the Hi-Lift instructions we reviewed last night: http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/instruction-manual.html

CBone
03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
I obviously wasn't able to make the meeting, like Stan, I'm down for the count, but I think this meeting was a great idea and I'm really sorry I missed it. Kudos to the leadership team, Slee Off-road and the others involved in putting this together.

60wag
03-07-2013, 12:41 PM
I liked it. Fortunately the weather was decent and being outside was great. Anything that keeps the RS meeting from feeling like a work meeting is a good thing.

corsair23
03-07-2013, 01:10 PM
A HUGE thank you to Nakman for putting this all together!! :bowdown:

That was a lot of fun and sure beat sitting in a confernce room :D

I learned more than I thought I would, including how to use my Jac-Kof...Lots of puns flying around last night about that :hill: - I appreciated Christo showing us just how versatile that thing truly is along with what the straps etc are for! If you missed the demo then you might want to ask someone to show you what went into the design. If you are like me and thought it really was just to attach your hi-lift to an ARB, you need to see a demo.

I also like the discussion about storing and transporting a hi-lift. Christo's idea of breaking the hi-lift down and carry the "guts" inside the vehicle was one of those "Why haven't I thought of that" moments :)

I'm really looking forward to next months meeting. Again, a HUGE thank you to Nakman for thinking this up and putting it together! You are a great asset to the club!!!!

And thanks to everyone for bringing out the heaters...Including Subzali who brought out a full size patio heater in his 40 :D

subzali
03-07-2013, 01:29 PM
...Including Subzali who brought out a full size patio heater in his 40 :D

Putting it in the Tundra would have been too easy :D

Thanks Nak et al, that was :cool:

Got some mods I might do to the Hi-Lift after hearing some of the suggestions last night. Also need to get my bottle jack in better working order for changing tires :thumb:

Corbet
03-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Looks like a great night. Wish I could have made it.

JadeRunner
03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
That's was a fun meeting.

Two main points for me were:

Metal on metal sliding of the jack is the #1 concern when jacking. That's why I have that thick piece rubber. Christo's jack off device would also be key to bolt onto a hard point. I need one of those.

Jack positioning of the base is super critical. Take your time on the last couple of pumps just before the vehicle completely lifts off the ground and be prepared to start over and adjust the base if necessary.

bomber22
03-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Christo's jack off device now that's fuuny right there :lmao:

nakman
06-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Hey did anyone else take pictures at this meeting? Let me know if so, thanks!