PDA

View Full Version : Moab Trail Leader/Gunner Training

farnhamstj
03-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the great time. Met the Book Cliff Cruisers. Crossed the Deloris River. Ran some fun difficult trails. Moab Rim, Cliff Hanger and Behind the Rocks. Dave did an excellent job providing hot coffee and breakfast burritos. We drank some beers and roasted some marshmallows. I didn't get too many pics but here are a few.

Corbet
03-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Saturday: Behind the Rocks. I didn't get many pictures as I spent most of the time spotting. Driver's in order: Jeremiah, Randy, Corbet, Clayton, Dan.

Corbet
03-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Green Day on Thursday. Couple from the Durango Crew, Clayton & Jeremiah.

Corbet
03-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Friday we ran Moab Rim (Scott, Steve, Clayton, Corbet)

Didn't take any wheeling pictures. Just on the hike after lunch at the top. Pictographs.

Corbet
03-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Before leaving today I took Bridger to see some Dinosaur tracks. We went to the Poison Spider trailhead. If you look around you can find more up above the two main rock slabs described on the kiosk. There are also pictographs on the wall above.

Inukshuk
03-17-2013, 11:06 PM
ahhh, waiting all weekend for this.

MountainGoat
03-18-2013, 10:15 AM
That was a great escape, and the best way to start the wheeling season. Thanks Scott and Dave for your hard work and especially thanks to Corbet for stepping up to learn Behind the Rocks for Cruise Moab leading.

I learned a lot about my truck and abilities as well as other rigs. It's good to have some idea of what to expect from any given driver/rig combo. Of course, then they always surprise you!

I took a whopping 2 pictures on BTR:

Jeremiah at the top of The Guardian
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/mountaingoat/2013/btr1.jpg

and Farnham at the bottom of the same feature
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/mountaingoat/2013/btr2.jpg

Awesome trip! :thumb:

JadeRunner
03-18-2013, 11:42 AM
We had a good crew and good times. The repair on my front air air line at the diff didn't hold so I had no front locker. No a big deal. But, I found myself bouncing more than usual. I aired down as low as I have ever been. That didn't resolve it. So it's either my older tires or suspension mods I have done lately. I will be working on that.

We didn't speed run multiple trails in a day. Instead, per Corbet's suggestion, we took our time and ran the trails thoroughly. Paying attention to trouble spots, proper lines to take, how different vehicles behaved and where the side hikes are etc.

I took a crew up Moab Rim Fri. as another group ran Cliff Hanger. We identified another optional hike on Moab Rim to see all the Pictographs. I think that will make for a great trail run.

Dave had a brake line issues on Cliff Hanger but got off the trail fine and had it repaired by the next morning.

Sat. we ran Behind the Rocks and made a day of it. The first obstacle was a little challenging. But, we figured out the proper line. We turned around at the top of White Knuckle, ran part way back then hit the dunes on the way out. That is a good way to make that trail a good "difficult" run.

We didn't get to run Flat Iron Mesa. But, we will have Neil ask the BLM to put it on the trail list for next year and work it at next's years pre-run.

Dan K. took Farham and I out the Delores Triangle road to Junction. That was fun. Then we got caught up in snow storms and havoc on Vail pass and the on the Eisenhower tunnel. That wasn't very fun but we all got through. Just big delays, accidents and truckers not putting their chains on until they spun out and partially blocked the road.

A big thanks to Dave and Idelle for making all those breakfast burritos. They were great. Thanks to Corbet's Durango Crew for coming out and working on the trails. They were well prepared and will be very valuable as trail leaders and gunners.

I also took very few pictures. Here is one of Corbet's dog. He had an accident and a trail repair was needed at the trailhead of Moab Rim. The 3rd one is Dave K. running up Hummer Hill.

Air Randy
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
When we got from the BTR run, Adam and Jenna were parked by the motorhome. Turns out they had broken a sway bar on their 4Runner and were waiting for folks to come back. We took them down to the play area at the bottom of BFE and let them play in Meanie. As you can tell from their smiles, we think they had a good time. We even got Jenna to drink whiskey later that night around the campfire, so were training them right. :D

It was a REAL joy going over the pass and tunnel in a motor home pulling a car trailer in those conditions. I hope we never have to do that again. I was going super slow and didn't have any problems, but there were several near misses from cars driving way too fast and sliding all over.

JadeRunner
03-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Glad you made it back safe Randy and didn't have to come to a stop on the ice like we did. The 2wd pickup near us couldn't get doing again. I let the wrecker help him.

ClaytonH
03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Many thanks for the hospitality of the club. I didn't take many photos but here they are from Moab Rim and Behind the Rocks...

AxleIke
03-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Hey Clayton,

What tires are you running on your tacoma?

Corbet
03-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Hey Clayton,

He just got some new Toyo MT's. I think they are 285's

JadeRunner
03-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Clayton's rig was really hooking up. He had no issues. I'm considering a set of those 285 Toyo's. They looked extremely beefy.

ClaytonH
03-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Hey Clayton,

They are the the Toyo Open Country M/Ts 285/75R16. This was the first trip on them and they worked really well compared to the A/Ts I used to have. I really need to get them down to Chokecherry to really compare them. Pretty tame on the highway, more noise than the A/t's but not really that noticeable.

Edit to plug Jeremiah's tires also. He just got the 37" Cooper STTs and they performed well.

corsair23
03-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Clayton's rig was really hooking up. He had no issues. I'm considering a set of those 285 Toyo's. They looked extremely beefy.

They are...I love mine but they are REAL heavy. My mounted 285s were about 10lbs heavier per tire than Hulk's MT MTZs in the 315 size. They wear decent for a MT, got almost 40k miles out of my 285s that are now e-test tires. Sipe them and they'll quiet down quite a bit and do better in the snow as well. And, for me at least, I never had any issues with them chunking due to the siping. I can't say the same about my GY MTRs on the 40 that I siped :rolleyes:

JadeRunner
03-19-2013, 05:38 PM
So it was you telling me this. I couldn't remember. Treeroot also told me he had a put a ton of miles on them. But, I don't think he likes them for some reason.

They are...I love mine but they are REAL heavy. My mounted 285s were about 10lbs heavier per tire than Hulks MT MTZs in the 315 size. They wear decent for a MT, got almost 40k miles out of my 285s that are now e-test tires. Sipe them and they'll quiet down quite a bit and due better in the snow as well. And, for me at least, I never had any issues with them chunking due to the siping. I can't say the same about my FY MTRs on the 40 that I siped :rolleyes:

Old40Dog
03-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks to everyone that participated! Great outing! Sure glad everyone made it home safely.

My friend Tom from Madison, WI that was along called me today saying he's still blown away from the whole trip. :cool:

I'll see if I can find a pic or two that's not already posted.

corsair23
03-19-2013, 06:30 PM
So it was you telling me this. I couldn't remember. Treeroot also told me he had a put a ton of miles on them. But, I don't think he likes them for some reason.

One complaint is that they tend to "wander"...I didn't notice it as much with my 285s but the 315s seem to follow the road a lot...Not having tried any other 315s I don't know if it is due to the tire or just something that happens due the bigger size. I remember my old 35x12.5 ATs on my Toyota pickup followed the road so I'm chalking it up to size, specifically the width.

Sorry for the hijack guys! Back to posting up pictures so I can :drool: about what I missed :hill:

jertiffauk
03-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Here's a few pics as well. Having a wife that's a photographer usually yields plenty of pictures! I too appreciate the hospitality of the crew! Dave for cooking and keeping the coffee cups full in the morning. Scott for leading, training & great communication. Also Corbet, Randy & Farnahm great leading, and helping figure out the right lines. I definitely had a great time, and great experience getting a better feel for the truck. It was great getting to know you all, I look forward to the next time.

spcruiser
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Thanks to all for the great company and the work you all put into making the trip. The trail runs were awsome it was a great way to learn more about the trails and leading the trails in the area. Thursady Green Day in BFE Friday Moab Rim with hike.

spcruiser
03-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Moab rim and hike at top.

spcruiser
03-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Last of Moab Rim and Behind The Rocks on Saturday.

spcruiser
03-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Behind The Rocks topping it off playing in the sand dunes.

FJCDan
03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Great pic's everyone, sure miss Moab. Hopefully back there someday.

Corbet
03-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Found a single photo on my phone tonight. I must have passed it off to someone.

farnhamstj
03-23-2013, 09:00 AM
I took that.

MountainGoat
03-23-2013, 10:16 AM
I took that.

Damn. That's a nice shot Farnham. :thumb: