PDA

View Full Version : GoPro HERO3

Fishy
03-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Does anyone have it? Happy with it?

My uses will be:

Strapping it to my helmet on climbs (oh yeah, my back feels THAT good)

Chest mount for fishing to rising trout

Mounted to the truck for runs

If I have it out of the waterproof case, does it pick up sound just like a regular video camera and not that muffled sound you hear? I've never owned any of the older versions so this is new to me.

TIMZTOY
03-22-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't have one, but the people I know that do have them love them.
And try YouTube'ing some under water gopro

smslavin
03-22-2013, 11:06 AM
i still have a hero2. resolution and a few other things have been upgraded on the 3 plus the wifi connection is built-in, no longer an add-on.

i have heard a few rumblings about some firmware issues but do not know the full extent of them.

DanS
03-22-2013, 11:06 AM
I've got an older one.

The sound is a *little* better without the waterproof case, but not much.

That said, there's other uses that you haven't thought of:

Diagnosing suspension noises and stuff is MUCH easier with a camera. Not that I've fixed any of my squeaks and creaks, but now I know what I need to do to get rid of them.

Timelapse with it is really easy, and cool.

Dan

Fishy
03-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Timelapse with it is really easy, and cool.

Dan

I'm not very tech savvy, but can I just sit the camera down, press record and let it do it's thing..... then pick it back up and use a program on the computer to turn it into timelapse? That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

REI has a 20% off sale for members, plus I have some gift cards so I thought the GoPro3 Silver might be a good idea.

MTSN
03-22-2013, 12:16 PM
REI has a 20% off sale for members, plus I have some gift cards so I thought the GoPro3 Silver might be a good idea.

Yep and they just sent out dividends too! :thumb:

kurtnkegger
03-22-2013, 07:53 PM
My daughters boyfriend has the 3 silver. He really likes it a lot, but says the only drawback for it is he wants to record more slow-mo shots. The black allows for that, where the silver doesn't go so slow...60 FPS compared to 30 FPS

Lars
03-22-2013, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=Fishy;229481]I'm not very tech savvy, but can I just sit the camera down, press record and let it do it's thing..... then pick it back up and use a program on the computer to turn it into time lapse? That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

the are several good tutorials online either video on you tube or text instructions. just Google time laps gopro3

Jenny Cruiser
03-23-2013, 02:32 AM
If you're not already thinking black you'll be happy with an old one for what you want to do with it.

farnhamstj
03-23-2013, 08:57 AM
I have a hero2. no complaints. haven't felt the need to upgrade to 3.

RockRunner
03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm not very tech savvy, but can I just sit the camera down, press record and let it do it's thing..... then pick it back up and use a program on the computer to turn it into timelapse? That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Not sure if they will let you use that for the Hero, would be great. LMK if they do have $200 plus in divs to use.

OilHammer
03-24-2013, 10:52 PM
You can:

http://www.rei.com/product/849164/gopro-hero3-black-edition-wide-angle-helmet-cam

Fishy
03-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Not sure if they will let you use that for the Hero, would be great. LMK if they do have $200 plus in divs to use.

Yeah, I called about that. The first person said it had a built in GPS so I couldn't use the 20% off, I said I didn't think so.....another person got on and said I could use it. Still looking into what I want.

Fishy
11-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Bringing this thread back up.....

Best Buy has a Black Friday Weekend deal on the Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition. Normally $329 on sale for $249. The line last night was out the door and around the corner at 6pm for the $499 55" LG TV and the Go Pro. There was no way I was waiting, so I went back over at 10pm and of course they were all sold out of both. (Still had to wait to get in the store)

I drove over to the Best Buy at 25 and Colorado this morning, the parking lot was half full and there was hardly anyone in the store. As soon as I walked in the 55" LG was stacked 10 high on sale from $1099 to $499 and Go Pros were stacked 30 high. No lines, no waiting, no tickets needed.

I got the TV and ended up getting the Hero 3+ Black Edition instead of the regular HERO3 Black. I probably paid for the hype, but battery life and sound quality were big improvements on the 3+. Plus, I wanted the long range Wifi and remote. If you're in the market for a HERO 3 Black Edition and a really nice TV, there are still some to be had.

Caribou Sandstorm
03-15-2014, 06:16 PM
I am considering upgrading from the original Hero to a Hero3+...

Going to strap the original on my side kick, Ben.. I picked up the chesty mount this year, works great, we have been using our Hero a bunch this ski season.

Stan have you used yours much? I am curious about the firmware issues I have read about with the 3+, sounds like the 3+ has sharper image, 12mp photo vs. 5mp with the 3 and 30 minutes more battery life.

Fishy
03-16-2014, 12:20 AM
I'm actually pretty happy with it Chris. The movie editing software isn't my favorite though. I usually use something else to edit the videos. Video quality is good, the Super View is all hype though, I never use it. It's just over stretched video that distorts at the top and bottom.

The ability to control and view everything right from my iPhone is VERY cool. I can preview and view real time with sound right from my phone. I can even change all settings. Battery life stinks, but I ordered a Wasabi battery kit and charger from Amazon. It was only $20 and included 2 extra batteries and home/car charger. Now I can keep rotating them through with one always being charged, one in the camera, and one standing by.

Caribou Sandstorm
03-16-2014, 10:01 AM
I'm actually pretty happy with it Chris. The movie editing software isn't my favorite though. I usually use something else to edit the videos. Video quality is good, the Super View is all hype though, I never use it. It's just over stretched video that distorts at the top and bottom.

The ability to control and view everything right from my iPhone is VERY cool. I can preview and view real time with sound right from my phone. I can even change all settings. Battery life stinks, but I ordered a Wasabi battery kit and charger from Amazon. It was only $20 and included 2 extra batteries and home/car charger. Now I can keep rotating them through with one always being charged, one in the camera, and one standing by.

sweet thanks for the added battery tip!

Shotshell
03-16-2014, 11:22 AM
The ability to control and view everything right from my iPhone is VERY cool. I can preview and view real time with sound right from my phone. I can even change all settings.

This was probably the coolest upgrade. I was really happy when they came out with this. I use it all the time on trail runs or skiing. :thumb:

Squishy!
03-16-2014, 03:31 PM
My stepdad is a pro photographer and uses this function on his octocopter setup every shoot. It's amazing to see first person view on that thing.