PDA

View Full Version : Monolithic Dome and Underground Homes

Jenny Cruiser
03-23-2013, 04:29 AM
A monolithic dome home was recently built near Kite Lake. I've seen other homes too like the underground dome below. We're looking for a builder to get a home going. Does anyone know someone who has had this or an underground dome home built? Finding a good builder for these nontraditional homes is the hardest part of a project like this.
http://www.monolithic.com/stories/underground-homes-good-or-bad

baja1d
03-23-2013, 07:51 AM
I've got a friend that maybe building one as well. I'll ask him when I see him next

LARGEONE
03-23-2013, 08:42 AM
I'd like to have one of those earthship houses. Near completely self sufficient. I'd like to see what your underground abode looks like when your done. Good luck with the project.

farnhamstj
03-23-2013, 08:59 AM
I would be cool to turn those over and session a skateboard through them.

J Kimmel
03-23-2013, 09:24 AM
I would be cool to turn those over and session a skateboard through them.

or maybe just build a couple in upside down, so you can go down the hallway in your underground bunker casa and have a skate sesh with your bros

I'm sold :)

Jacket
03-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Any way to get natural light inside there?

Jenny Cruiser
03-23-2013, 12:30 PM
The Formworks underground domes have open faces plus you can put in a cupula or other window if you want. I'm not sure if the monolithic domes can have skylights, but they can be customized. Our plans are for a nearly all glass front.

RockRunner
03-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Just buy the underground bunker with 28 acres from the Gov. I believe they are selling it for $58K if no mistaken. was on 9news a few days ago.

nakman
03-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Chad you should PM Seldom Seen... He's got a somewhat vast amount of knowledge of such things, I wouldn't be surprised if he knew something worth knowing here. When I lived in the mountains, we had quite a few discussions about geothermal energy, for example.

I've often fantasized about doing this as well some day.. just put the bit opening to the south, with enough overhang to block the direct sun in the summer but let it in in the winter, and I it's a pretty efficient setup.

Jenny Cruiser
03-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks for that! I'll look him up. :)

OilHammer
03-29-2013, 01:55 PM
I think Peter Jackson has some experience building those. ;)

In all seriousness, the most difficult part of such a structure is waterproofing. We used a company called Superior Walls for a while, and had great results with them. They're a bit different than the poured in place walls that are more common, but when you think about the logic behind them, it quickly starts to make more sense. For example, they set all the concrete walls on gravel, and so does the railroad. It's inexpensive, carries incredible loads, and drains extremely well. There are more pros behind it, but you can research it more if you like. They might be worth a call to see if they'll make a custom ceiling as well.

Caribou Sandstorm
03-29-2013, 04:29 PM
I am sure that guys neighbors are thrilled...:rolleyes:

I have not seen the finished product complete, with zero scape no doubt, so shouldn't judge it but I would be moving if that was my neighbor....

J Kimmel
03-29-2013, 05:13 PM
why?

judging from the photo they look like they will be primarily underground?

farnhamstj
03-29-2013, 06:42 PM
I am sure that guys neighbors are thrilled...:rolleyes:

I have not seen the finished product complete, with zero scape no doubt, so shouldn't judge it but I would be moving if that was my neighbor....

Don't want to live next door to hobbits?

nakman
03-29-2013, 11:08 PM
The beauty is you could still put a 700ft² ranch style home on top for your entry way, then the coolest part of the house is hidden below. Isn't it every boy's dream to have a house with a fire pole?

Jenny Cruiser
03-29-2013, 11:09 PM
These are the guys we got the plans from. Our location is on a hill and the only thing you'll see from the road is the garage door on the NE side. The front of the home will be facing SE with nothing but farm and BLM land.

http://www.earthshelter.com/