PDA

View Full Version : Portable saw mill?

OilHammer
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
I cut down one of the old cedars in my front yard this weekend, and I want to reuse it for projects around the house. I want to have it cut into large timber (s).

Option 1: Pay the mobile sawmill guy $200 to come to me, then an hourly rate to cut it on site. With only one tree, the setup fee is a little spendy, but it would mean no real transportation issues on either end.

Option 2: Pay a tow truck driver to back up to my front lawn, and winch it onto the back. I'm guessing he would charge at least $100 to drive it up to the sawmill, and I would still need to get the lumber home.

Option 3: Borrow a 20' trailer, throw my snatch block on the front and PTO that sucker down onto the trailer and haul it up to the mill. Wait around for him to cut it, then drive back to the house with the trailer and unload.

Thoughts? It's still going to be difficult to move those beams around, but I'm guessing I could handle those much easier than the full tree.

DaveInDenver
04-01-2013, 01:08 PM
I'd pay the guy to come and mill it on site. That's worth the headache of trying to manhandle it.

Red cedar comes in at about 25 lbs/cubic foot. If that thing is 30' long and averages about 2 feet in diameter, you're looking at north of a ton. Winching weight is only part of the equation, you need to get it to roll or slide, e.g. skidding it. Maybe you could build a reverse coffer around your yard and float it on the trailer? ;-)

OilHammer
04-01-2013, 01:19 PM
It's not that big. It's more like 15' long now, and 18" in diameter on the big end.
I was able to roll it on those boards you see in the pic, which was not too tough. I could actually pivot it 90 degress and roll it right down the front hill to the street. As long as it didn't wipe out my newly planted maple down there! But, I hear you. I have no doubt it's a 1,000 lbs. When I dropped it, I had those 4x6 boards down and the upper two snapped like twigs when it hit. Zero bounce too.

DaveInDenver
04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Gotcha. The formula isn't hard, density x length x pi x radius squared. That's like 650 lbs. Bet you could rig up something to get it on a trailer.

FWIW, Harbor Freight had casters on sale last week and might still. I picked up 4 like this and made a cradle to move camper shells around. They're 300 lbs capacity (optimistic IMVHO, like most HF stuff) each and 4 cost me $50. Maybe you could rig up a dolly since you'll have to move a couple of big beams around on the way back, too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-swivel-caster-38944.html

MDH33
04-01-2013, 01:35 PM
What are you going to use it for? Being green, the wood will likely check and warp a bit after you mill it, especially if you do it on sight and don't have somewhere to let it dry out. A big mill might be able to kiln dry it for you too.

OilHammer
04-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Correct. It needs to be dried. It was barely alive, but alive none the less. I don't really have room to store it for very long, but I probably could store it for a bit. The thing is, it's in a good spot to leave the yard right now. Once I move it, the task of getting it back out is more difficult.

L43dean
04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Lee Valley Tools and Lehman's Non Electric Catalog might have available two man pit saws.

euroford
04-01-2013, 04:01 PM
you can set yourself up with a basic mini mill for under $100. its a lot of work, but the results are pretty decent. we built a LOT of mountain bike trail features this way after logging out a ton of eastern red ceder up in wisconsin.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46555&catID=

baja1d
04-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Have you ever heard of an "Alaskan lumber mill"? If not, Google it & then let me know if you want to borrow it. I've got 2 set ups. A six & three foot bar w/ the saw.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/02/ypenugyt.jpg

OilHammer
04-01-2013, 08:50 PM
10 years ago I would have said, "sweet!". Now that I'm as old as I am, I'm thinking, "hmmm". I'm not sure that kind of thing is for me at this point. The sawmill guy called me back, and I'm thinking I need to just find a car trailer to borrow and I'll be good to go. Pretty sure I can winch it onto a trailer easily and safely, and keep all of my fingers and shins intact. Mind you, this is coming from the same guy that just had a tempered glass window explode on him....lol.

wesintl
04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
just put it on your roof rack of the 100 or put the tailgate down and in the back of the 45 :D

OilHammer
04-01-2013, 09:05 PM
What?! Use a pickup for hauling???? Blasphemy.
Lol. Most of you would never guess I used that 45 for Home Depot runs regularly. Sand, dirt, plywood, insulation, straw, pretty much everything but gravel. Heh, but I can't see a 6' bed with 10' hanging out beyond it. I might could wrangle that onto the M101, but that would be ugly too. If that weighs 1000 pounds, I would be pushing the weight and definitely the tongue. M101's don't like neutral/negative tongue weight.

nakman
04-01-2013, 11:23 PM
borrow my trailer if you want. what's with the new user name?

Woodsman
04-02-2013, 06:54 AM
Nice little cedar you have there. I sawed about a semi load a couple of years ago and sold almost all of it. Do you need the long length ? If not, your yield would be much better in shorter lengths because yield is determined by the smallest end. I usually cut cedar 8-10' because of the heavy taper.

You can easily side load logs even with a come-along using this method. We've loaded hardwood logs up to 36" using this method (too heavy for the skid loader).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rBYfKYiQw

Most guys think it is fun to go see their logs opened up like a book. This is my mill (sorry it is in Indiana) as I open up a surprisingly nice and clear honey locust. The kind of tree with long thorns that puncture tires.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/Woodworking%20pics/HoneyLocust.jpg

What I don't custom saw or keep for my woodworking business gets hauled to the pallet mill nearby.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/Woodworking%20pics/Haulinglogs.jpg

. . . and then it gets stacked like this to air dry.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/Woodworking%20pics/005-2.jpg

:D I like to show off my wood. Wait, that didn't come out right.

OilHammer
04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Nice wood. :) Maybe I need to be calling you for cedar instead of the local guys.
Honestly, I do need one long piece for the main beam, but that is economical enough to buy and use this to mill some substantial columns. The price for the column was much higher than the beam anyway. For example, 10x10 columns around 12' long were something like $500 ea, but a 6x10x16' beam was only $200.
Now I don't have a log 24' long, but I could put the columns on stone pedastals and maybe knock that down to 8' and that log would sure be easier to handle that way. Hmmm.

Beater
04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
geez kreiger... you can't resist a social media outlet to show off your wood can you?

Woodsman
04-03-2013, 06:57 AM
geez kreiger... you can't resist a social media outlet to show off your wood can you?

:D haha That is only a mere sampling of inventory . . . this forum doesn't have a woodworker's thread to my knowledge for pics of finished projects . . . but some of the other forums do. :blah:

Can't say that pics on forums or Facebook have ever earned me any profitable business though.

More than anything, these pics just show hauling, sawing and proper stacking of wood.:cheers:

RockRunner
04-03-2013, 03:46 PM
You can use my trailer if you are on the sout side. I would find a mill to cut and store it, then when dried you can pick up the pieces a use them.

DanS
04-03-2013, 09:29 PM
woodsman:

Is that an LT40?

Do you have auto set features on it, or do you make each cut manually? How consistent has it been for you?

I'm in Indianapolis for the next two weeks for training, and I'm trying to find time to sneak away to visit the Wood Mizer shop just to get a good feel for their mills.

A mill is on my short list of "things I need to buy if I find them cheap enough"

Dan

Woodsman
04-04-2013, 05:40 AM
woodsman:

Is that an LT40?

Do you have auto set features on it, or do you make each cut manually? How consistent has it been for you?

I'm in Indianapolis for the next two weeks for training, and I'm trying to find time to sneak away to visit the Wood Mizer shop just to get a good feel for their mills.

A mill is on my short list of "things I need to buy if I find them cheap enough"

Dan

That is a 28hp gas LT40HD. It does not have the auto set. I looked closely at that and couldn't justify it for what little cutting I do. I also looked closely at the Baker and Cooks sawmills (their biggest diesel models) and then came back to Wood Mizer since they are built eight miles from my house. Not sure how long I will keep it as I realize now my time is better spent building finished goods than in producing lumber.

OilHammer
04-08-2013, 09:43 AM
So after tossing around a couple of options, I landed on renting a Home Depot flat bed and transporting that log up to the sawmill myself. Luckily, my yard is about 1' higher than the bed of the truck, so I just backed the truck up and yanked the log forward a little at a time until I had it in the bed.
The sawmill was pretty cool to watch, and they had my tree cut up into 2x9 planks pretty quickly while I waited. I drove back, unloaded, returned the truck, and all in it cost me less than what he would have charged just to drive the mill down to me.

And your mill is much nicer being full hydro and with an auto loader. They had two kids that had to wrangle the log onto the mill and then hand beat these tangs in each time they repositioned it. I think your machine would have produced the same cuts in a 1/3 of the time.

Woodsman
04-08-2013, 04:45 PM
So after tossing around a couple of options, I landed on renting a Home Depot flat bed and transporting that log up to the sawmill myself. Luckily, my yard is about 1' higher than the bed of the truck, so I just backed the truck up and yanked the log forward a little at a time until I had it in the bed.
The sawmill was pretty cool to watch, and they had my tree cut up into 2x9 planks pretty quickly while I waited. I drove back, unloaded, returned the truck, and all in it cost me less than what he would have charged just to drive the mill down to me.

And your mill is much nicer being full hydro and with an auto loader. They had two kids that had to wrangle the log onto the mill and then hand beat these tangs in each time they repositioned it. I think your machine would have produced the same cuts in a 1/3 of the time.

Looks good. Lots of character in aromatic red cedar. :cheers: