PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Big Game

Corbet
04-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Today is the deadline to apply for this year's hunt. Hope you all got your applications submitted.

AxleIke
04-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Got em in last night.

Anyone know the skinny on the preference points? I've always hesitated to use them, because I don't want to use them all at once. Do you know if they take them all for a single draw, or can you specify one at a time?

wesintl
04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
all or none.. sucks

Uncle Ben
04-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Got em in last night.

Anyone know the skinny on the preference points? I've always hesitated to use them, because I don't want to use them all at once. Do you know if they take them all for a single draw, or can you specify one at a time?

Preference points go to first choice. They are all in or not in. If you have been putting them in for trophy area and decide you want to go into a different area that takes less you still lose em all. Regular over the counter and left over draw do not use your points. We drew our trophy deer last year (12 points) for unit 201. This year we should draw out trophy bull tags for unit 10 (18 points). We decided to not hunt deer by draw this year but we still put in for the point as it's crazy not to! I do the same for bear. Also, pick one person in your group and always use their CID number in the group box. Clear as mud? Practice those longer shots amigo! If you wait 18 years for that trophy bull you do not want to not take the one chance shot just because its 400 yards away! :scold:

Corbet
04-05-2013, 11:36 PM
MMM, gluten free and organically raised for you health nuts;) I've been spotting herds almost every day this week. If only it were that easy come October.

Uncle Ben
04-06-2013, 01:03 AM
MMM, gluten free and organically raised for you health nuts;) I've been spotting herds almost every day this week. If only it were that easy come October.

Nice! Just go out and tie one up for later!

Corbet
04-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Looked up from dinner tonight and saw this out my window :cool: There were a half dozen or so that disappeared into the trees.

Uncle Ben
04-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Looked up from dinner tonight and saw this out my window :cool: There were a half dozen or so that disappeared into the trees.

Nice! Wish the season was year long!

Red_Chili
04-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Only a half dozen??

I look out regularly and see 30-40. There is a bachelor band of 6-8 muleys who frequent our yard about 3x a week too.

I decided this year to put in for tags in Evergreen (and westward). I may see familiar faces. Couldn't find anyone to join me... so it may be myself and my soon-to-be-desensitized-to-gunfire donkey in the wilderness. Assuming I am successful at getting 3rd rifle tags.

Insert donkey jokes here...

MDH33
04-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Bill, did you put in for 3rd rifle for both elk and deer?

Corbet
04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Only a half dozen??

Could have been more, I just caught a glimpse between trees. The heard I saw this morning on the way to work was much larger. We just see them in the neighborhood very often. Too many dogs, some loose. Wolf hi-breads behind me, Porter (looks like wolf). The elk just stay away.

The mule deer are always bedding down between us the our neighbor. They don't seem to mind Porter until he growls at them for fun.

We don't have near the grasslands you've got. Most of our neighbor hood looks like a black diamond ski run. Dense pines with needles on the forest floor. Not much to eat.

Corbet
05-25-2013, 07:12 PM
I drew both a Elk, cow and Deer, doe tag for 2nd season this year. First time I've got a deer tag in a few years:)

MDH33
05-26-2013, 09:53 AM
I drew both a Elk, cow and Deer, doe tag for 2nd season this year. First time I've got a deer tag in a few years:)

Excellent Corbet.

And thanks for reminding me to check!

I drew Deer second season and Elk for third. Time to start scouting.

:thumb:

AHorseThief
05-29-2013, 08:42 AM
I didn't draw anything this year, but my father-in-law drew a buck tag for unit 201. Hopefully I can take some time off to go help him find a nice one.

Uncle Ben
05-29-2013, 09:40 AM
I didn't draw anything this year, but my father-in-law drew a buck tag for unit 201. Hopefully I can take some time off to go help him find a nice one.

Nice! We drew our 201 bucks last year. Have you hunted it before? Some amazing critters up there! Unfortunately, it is also the land of 3 point genetics. Many trophy class bucks with only 3 points on one side. I would be happy to share some area insights with you ....just not on line.

AHorseThief
05-31-2013, 07:55 AM
Nice! We drew our 201 bucks last year. Have you hunted it before? Some amazing critters up there! Unfortunately, it is also the land of 3 point genetics. Many trophy class bucks with only 3 points on one side. I would be happy to share some area insights with you ....just not on line.

I haven't hunted it, but both my father-in-law and my uncle have hunted both bucks and bull elk up there. I should have one or two more years for a buck license up there and 8 - 10 more years for a bull tag.

If you're going to the meeting next week, I'll try and pick your brain then.

Corbet
07-31-2013, 11:35 AM
The smart ones hide in town. 3402934030

AHorseThief
08-01-2013, 02:48 PM
My parents live down in that part of the state (Bayfield). Every year I threaten to get an archery deer tag, sit out on their balcony, drink coffee, and thin their herd by 1.

Corbet
08-06-2013, 12:08 AM
That sounds like a great plan. Better than walking around in the forest all day. I passed a heard of Bucks just outside Bayfield tonight.

Corbet
09-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Anyone been out yet? (archery)

Bridger and I went out scouting last weekend along with the bird gun. Did not see anything but signs of deer. Going back again to swap memory cards in the camera Sunday before the games start.

Bridger working the cow call and glassing.

ianacole
09-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Drew 2nd season Rifle Elk (F) for unit 66, down by Lake City. Will be my first hunt and I'm really looking forward to it.

Corbet
09-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Scouting continued. Retrieved the memory card from my camera this evening. Got between a couple of bulls grunting and had a nice cow come out and turn broadside for me. Just need to repeat that in a few weeks.

AxleIke
10-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Got lucky this year and took a 6 point bull 5 minutes into the season in Unit 46.

Got him fully butchered, and have 150-160 lbs of cuts and burger, plus another 30-40 lbs of dog food. Biggest one we've ever gotten, and I'm very pleased.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/AxleIke/20131012IsaacWith6PtElk.jpg

Took some scope rash as I used a tree and I leaned in too close to get around a branch.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/AxleIke/20131012IsaacAfterHeadButtingElk.jpg

It turns out I am also TERRIBLE at range finding. Thankfully my 30-06 is very flat shooting. I took the shot assuming it was around 100 yards, give or take. My dad told me it was around 350. No wonder I was always so baffled by people taking 350 yard shots! To me, 350 yards was actually closer to 1000 yards, LOL!

MDH33
10-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Congrats Isaac! That's a nice one! :cool:

Corbet
10-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Congrats on the bull. I'm almost packed up to head out tomorrow at O-dark-hundred:)

rover67
10-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Damn, nice work dude!

Half my week just got sucked into a work trip... Left home today with the tag on the kitchen counter and the rifle back in the safe. On the west coast hoping I was doing what Corbet is doing now instead. Grr..

MDH33
10-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Damn, nice work dude!

Half my week just got sucked into a work trip... Left home today with the tag on the kitchen counter and the rifle back in the safe. On the west coast hoping I was doing what Corbet is doing now instead. Grr..

I can empathize, Marco. I have second rifle for mule deer and Kim got called away for a business trip too, so I'm on kid duty all week instead.

I still have third rifle for Elk though, so hoping to have some luck come November.

Good luck Corbet!

JadeRunner
10-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Way to go Isaac! That's a nice one.

None of us 3 got elk this year. We had a bit of a snow run getting to the trail-head. Hiked in a half mile and set up our first camp. Tracks were everywhere and it looked promising. The first storm finished but we couldn’t get lucky enough to bump into any bulls the first 2 days. Then the second storm came in hard for the next several days and dropped another 1-2 feet of snow. All the elk moved out of the area and down. We hunted thru the last day but saw no more fresh elk tracks the rest of the hunt. I made a decision during the beginning of the second storm to stick it out and not break our 2 camps, pack out to the Runner and leave. I figured we had 4-5 days left for things to melt out a little. It was depressing thinking we may have to leave the runner stuck and pack out 5-7 miles from the trailhead. We had a large valley to exit with no winch points that I was concerned about getting through.

All those years of snow run experience paid off. I was able to push into the snow hard. Then slam it into reverse quickly before sinking and getting stuck. Then repeat many times until I got to a slight downhill. I then kept the rpms and speed up high enough to get us across the valley toward the trees. At which point I could winch and carry on. Then it was a heck of a fun snow run for the next 5 miles to get out. My new Cooper SST tires were pretty key to all of this. They were digging machines. I was pretty jazzed we made it out.

We will go for muzzleloading next year. We are getting tired of intense winter camping\mountaineering\were not going to make it out stress while hunting.

The first picture is on day one. I was able to winch on the last picture (day 7) and the snow wasn't quite as deep in the trees.

Corbet
10-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Today I just needed a bit of luck. I ran into elk 5 times during the day. Most of the time they saw me first:( The other time I got an animal in my shooting lane but it turned out to be a spike. Then he busted me. So the herd turned 180º and went over the ridge.

AxleIke
10-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Ah dang, that was how 4th rifle went for me last year. I saw lots of elk....running away from me.

AxleIke
10-23-2013, 07:24 PM
BTW, how many of you CWD test? We do it for every animal, but the game guy said he never does. I always figured better safe than sorry, but perhaps its a waste of time.

Corbet
10-23-2013, 07:52 PM
BTW, how many of you CWD test?

I don't but we don't really have the problem down this way.

Still no luck for me. Last two days out I have not seen a thing. Not sure what is worse. Seeing nothing or their buts as they run away?:banghead:

AxleIke
10-23-2013, 07:57 PM
At least seeing them gets you excited. Seeing nothing always makes me tired and un-motivated.

Corbet
10-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Well I saw a few on Thursday night but they were pretty far out. They at least gave me hope. Nothing today before the weather turned bad and I headed out early. So its back out tomorrow and Sunday for the last push.

On another note, some anti-hunting group out of CA has decided to target SW Colorado this year. I witnessed a group harassing another hunter on Wednesday from about a 1/2 mile away. Turns out my neighbor had a similar experience on public lands earlier in the week. The group is finding hunters and filming themselves pretending to stumble upon the hunter while making a lot of noise. The group used our private access on wednesday but no one was smart enough to get plate numbers or take pictures of them in the act.:( DOW and Sheriff's dept down here are not amused.

ianacole
10-25-2013, 07:27 PM
No luck out on my first ever trip ... saw a herd of 64, but were a 2 mile hike around the bowl to get to.

Fishy
10-25-2013, 08:26 PM
While you guys are all out hunting I thought that maybe now was a good time to hit the river...... Apparently, fly fisherman don't hunt anymore because Cheeseman Canyon was jammed!

Fishing was good though. A lot of risers throughout the day. BWO's in 20-24 seemed to be what they were keying on. I wanted to hit the Ark, but didn't want to make the drive. Maybe next week.

Corbet
10-28-2013, 12:36 AM
3pm on closing day. Got a medium sized cow. Got her all back to the house by 10pm. About 2.5 miles out and 1000' higher. I made two trips and got Marianne + 2 neighbors for trip #2.

No pictures, I was a man on a mission to get the disassembly done and back to the house with hopes to watch the Packer game tonight. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

Fishy
10-28-2013, 12:45 AM
^Nicely done. Filling the freezer is a good feeling.

JadeRunner
10-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Congratulations Corbet. That will be good eating.

We don't test for CWD. That requires packing the head down to be tested and we usually just remove the antlers since were packing.

AxleIke
10-31-2013, 09:57 AM
Nice!!!

Got my CWD results back: all good.

Time to enjoy!

BTW: I have been house sitting for my folks, and my Dad has one of those Traeger pellet grills, and I have to say, it cooks elk steaks VERY nicely. I highly recommend them. IMO, it is far better than the propane grill.

Corbet
10-31-2013, 09:45 PM
I just spent the day at the kitchen counter knife in hand processing. Got a front and rear completely done. Steaks and burger fully packaged and stacked in the freezer. So at least another day ahead of me with the other two legs and the 10 or so back start & misc parts bags from the field dressing.

We did enjoy our first meal on Tuesday. Its nice to have elk again in the freezer.:thumb:

Corbet
11-01-2013, 02:31 PM
I went and retrieved my game camera this morning. I placed it above my carcass to see what would show up. Was hoping for a big cat but no luck. Still some good shots from the top of the food chain. Those Golden Eagles are HUGE.

AxleIke
11-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Wow! Nice!

Uncle Ben
11-01-2013, 07:02 PM
That's pretty cool! I never thought of putting the game cam on the carcass to see what goes bump in the night.

Corbet
11-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Couple more good ones. The camera had 2068 photos on it so there are a few to weed through.

Fishy
11-01-2013, 09:25 PM
That is very, very cool! Those bears look really healthy too. Good sign for the winter.

wesintl
11-01-2013, 09:31 PM
golden eagles are the bomb..

baja1d
11-01-2013, 11:32 PM
That's really neat. Great idea

MDH33
11-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Cool photos Corbet, and congrats on filling your tag/freezer.

I'm headed out in the morning for third rifle. :thumb:

Corbet
11-11-2013, 12:12 PM
any luck Martin?

MDH33
11-11-2013, 01:15 PM
any luck Martin?

Missed an opportunity on a 4x4 bull the second day. Easy 75 yard shot, but there was a second bull closer behind a tree. I waited for the second to come out and by the time it did, they both had turned and headed uphill. The second ended up being a 4x4 also. I circled around uphill to head them off, but didn't see them again. I went out again a for couple of days this weekend and saw a bunch of mule deer, but no elk. Maybe next year, and I won't pass up an easy shot like that again!

Corbet
11-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Its a hard lesson to learn that way, but one you'll now forever remember. If your interested in food, never pass on good safe legal shot. I did once and I'll never do it again.

If your trophy hunting well then never mind.

MDH33
11-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Its a hard lesson to learn that way, but one you'll now forever remember. If your interested in food, never pass on good safe legal shot. I did once and I'll never do it again.

If your trophy hunting well then never mind.

That's the truth, and I won't pass on a shot like that again. I wasn't trophy hunting and that 4x4 would have been ideal. At that moment, I was simultaneously thinking that the closer bull might be a big one and I would regret missing the chance, and I was thinking about it being the first day of the season and I was having fun. Wasn't sure I wanted the season to end so soon and I would have plenty of opportunities. :o

Stubby
02-28-2014, 09:59 AM
2014 Big Game applications are due in a month ... don't forget! Online apps are great. Finished my section 201 Antelope and section 28 Cow Elk applications last night. The cow tag is a "B" lisence so if I'm successful, I can buy an over-the-counter bull tag too.

Pig / Turkey hunting the weekend of March 15 at my buddy's hunting lease in Junction, TX. Don't want to rub it in but I'll post pictures when I'm back!

JadeRunner
03-07-2014, 10:22 AM
We are making the switch to muzzle loading. We will at least put in as a group. I figure we probably wont draw in 34 our first year. Then hopefully we would get 1st season bull. But, are prepared to declined for that also since it would be our second choice. Which would put us into 2nd season (another winter expedition). Oh, well we have to try at some point.

Corbet
03-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Why are these guys so easy to find in the spring? Just hanging out on the driving range for the day. Some tard was even hitting balls? Course was closed.

MDH33
03-14-2014, 11:04 AM
2014 licenses applied for. :thumb:

JadeRunner
03-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Group muzzle applied for. Time to change it up and actually try to harvest a bugling bull for once.

Corbet
03-29-2014, 02:00 PM
2nd season Elk and 3rd Deer applied for. Hunting in my back yard as usual.:thumb: Going to try to take my Elk this year with a pistol. But will not pass on a distance shot (rifle) as I'm really just in it for the food.

Teaser shot from this week. They are in the valley floors right now.

MDH33
05-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Looks like I got 1st Rifle for Elk and 4th rifle for deer this season. :thumb:

Corbet
05-29-2014, 11:18 PM
2nd rifle Cow.
Refund check Deer :rant:

looks like I'll be standing in line for a leftover.

JadeRunner
05-31-2014, 02:22 PM
We didn't get muzzle in 24. But, we did get our 2nd choice. So we are going 1st Rifle again.

Uncle Ben
05-31-2014, 02:39 PM
Struck out across the board. Big Horn, Bear, Pronghorn, Elk and Deer checks all came back home. :rant: Deer and sheep was not a surprise as sheep takes 6 and we have 3 and we pulled 201 Deer last year so we are starting all over again. Really shocked we didn't draw bull elk unit 10 as the success charts were in our favor since we had 18 points! 19 must be the magic number! Oh well left over either sex elk and cap bear will have to do.

Stubby
06-02-2014, 10:55 PM
I struck out across the board too! Antelope in 201 - NO! Cow Elk and Deer in 35 - SORRY! I think that the DNR is holding out on us this year in favor of that big dollar out of state demand. Well, thank God for Texas!:D

LARGEONE
06-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Anybody have any inside intel on 481 outside of Buena Vista. I got 3rd season bull tag in 481 and i haven't spent much time up there. I put in for it because an old friend of mine from c-springs is going to meet me up there in Nov.

Corbet
08-30-2014, 10:16 PM
First day of archery, who saw elk today?

Bridger and I did a quick scouting mission this evening. Saw a small herd of 10+ from a distance. Set up the game camera and got home before dark.

wesintl
09-18-2014, 09:54 PM
My first Bull ever and with a muzzleloader. I couldn't be happier. Best of Luck to everyone with a Tag!

Uncle Ben
09-18-2014, 11:17 PM
My first Bull ever and with a muzzleloader. I couldn't be happier. Best of Luck to everyone with a Tag!

Nice Buck! ;)

JadeRunner
09-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Out on your own in public lands. Well done. That is a nice big 5x5.

rover67
09-19-2014, 09:43 AM
:clap:

Jacket
09-19-2014, 09:57 AM
I'll be expecting some elk sausage in November. :thumb:

Jenny Cruiser
09-19-2014, 10:13 PM

Nice.:thumb:

Corbet
09-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Congrats :thumb:

JadeRunner
10-18-2014, 06:34 PM
1st season rifle seemed to be difficult in the flat tops for everyone we talked too. It didn't sound like many were successful. It was difficult for us as well. The elk weren't hanging out in the meadows much that's for sure.

Sunday we had a storm that layed down a foot of snow. Monday we still didn't see many tracks. But, I saw one single track up high. I followed the tracks up and thru the woods for a few hours at the ready until I spooked him in his bed and got one shot off. That was fun.

It was the same small bull we bugled in Sept. It's got to be he smallest legal bull I've ever seen. But, I'll take it. Dan shot a 5x6 later that day up high at 420yds. That was his longest shot with his 7mag.

Corbet
10-19-2014, 02:13 AM
My season only took a day this year. Filled my cow tag a couple miles behind the house. Managed to find cell service and called in the transport crew. Shot her at 5pm and back to the house by 1am. Not too bad.

JadeRunner
10-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Meat in the freezer without much difficulty. Nice job Corbet!

baja1d
10-20-2014, 10:26 AM
First time hunting, let alone for elk. Came back empty handed but had a blast. 3917839179

We may get a chance for a last minute hunt Sunday-Monday. Any suggestions?