PDA

View Full Version : 1.5" or 2.5" OME on a 100

Telly
04-04-2013, 10:04 AM
I just picked up a 03 TLC and the tires have about 15K of life. I'm thinking new tires need to come with a lift. I promised the CFO that I won't be modifying this rig but I lied. :eek: I'm not planning to go big off roading with this rig...I got my fill of 4+ trails with my old 80. I'm thinking more mild trails with expedition type road trips over mountain passes. I don't plan to go bumpers or sliders. Keeping close to stock MPG is more of a priority. The 100 just looks too mall mommy car as it sits stock. What is your opinion of the 1.5" OME 865 medium lift? What is the best tire size with the lift? Anyone running this and have pictures?

I know what your thinking...why go 1.5" when 2.5" will give me that much more lift and tire options. I have not ruled out this option yet either. These vehicles are a curse!

Fishy
04-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Here you go...

1st pic- totally stock no lift
2nd pic- stock shocks,OME 865's and BFG 275/70/18 (33+) 1.5" lift
3rd and 4th pics- OME Tbars, Radflo shocks (junk) and OME 860's = 2.5" lift

Telly
04-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Fishy, very nice...thanks for the pictures. What made you decide to go 2.5"? Any regrets on the 1.5"? I love that rack too. Where did you source it?

Fishy
04-04-2013, 11:14 AM
No regrets on the 1.5" It was actually the most comfortable set up I had. 865's, a little Tbar cranking and stock shocks is about as close to stock feel as you can get. I did a lot of trails with that set up but I wanted a little more height/clearance.

The 860's feel like the 865s, just taller. Although I just added a Slee rear bumper, and that extra weight brings the height down a little.

The rack is a Gamiviti, sourced from Nakmans house :cool: he's out of stock right now.....
http://www.gamiviti.com/html/products_roofracks.html

Telly
04-04-2013, 11:24 AM
So you only had to purchase the 865 springs for the 1.5" lift? Would you suggest Christo doing the install? I've installed several lifts on 40's, 60's and 80's but I know nothing about TBar cranking up front. Sorry for the newb questions.

farnhamstj
04-04-2013, 09:21 PM
It's pretty simple. Diy for sure. Most difficult part is removing the rear shock upper mount. 23mm(?) ratchet box wrench is the trick. The lift in the front is just how much you adjust the location of the mount the T-bar slides into. If you are not adding extra bumpers and such. Just jack the front up and tighten the big bolts hanging out the bottom. The rear do the 1.5" for now. Remove old shocks. Lower axle until springs are lose, remove, install new spring. Install new rear shocks. Easy. Get an alignment after you adjust the front to your liking. The lift height does not affect your ability to use larger tires Get AT something not Mud tires. Save your money for sliders and a ARB front locker.

Fishy
04-05-2013, 02:34 AM
Yeah.... Pretty easy. I did a write up for someone one time, lemme see if I can find it.

OilHammer
07-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Sounds like I'm in the same boat. I took the 100 camping this weekend, and when I loaded the fridge and some gear in the back, I could bottom the rear coils just by pushing down on the hitch. Lame. I knew it was soft back there, but didn't know just how bad. Like you, I don't plan on adding bumpers and winch, etc....I need just a tick of height w/o getting the wife mad at me. On the 80, I put OME and they rode like garbage unloaded, which really made her mad. Thing is, I don't know that there is any other option out there for just a little higher than stock with virtually no load change. Add to that, the factory replacement coils actually cost more than the 1.5 OME.

Fishy
07-16-2013, 09:29 AM
OME 865's will give you 1.5" and feel almost exactly like stock. I don't think you'd even notice a difference in road feel.

OilHammer
07-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Sounds like that might be the plan.
Interesting though, since I know the rear has sagged, wouldn't it sit butt low compared to the front? I am getting wear on the inside edges of the fronts, which makes me wonder if it hasn't sagged out too and changed the alignment. I just didn't think torsions did that in stock form.
So, change rear coils, crank the bars a tick or two, get an alignment, and be done for a year. Sounds good.

nakman
07-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Barry my rear springs are 866's.. they are supposedly a "heavy" spring rate but only provide a 1.5" lift. I don't think they ride stiff at all, even before I added bumpers and drawers they seemed to ride just fine to me. Of course, now I wish I had taller springs... :rolleyes: once loaded I'm not even sure I'd call it a lift.

OilHammer
07-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Bought the 865 kit from Slee yesterday based on this thread and Ben's recommendations. I really didn't want to do the whole kit money wise, but I knew the factory shocks were toast. By the time you do shock & spring in the rear, you might as well do the whole darn thing instead of piece mealing it.
Hoping to find a garage and some time this weekend to get it on there. Torsion bars should be interesting since I literally have never even crawled under one.

Squishy!
07-26-2013, 02:44 PM
All you poor Cruiser guys! Us mini truck folks have had years of experience with tbars. Enough to know to just CUT EM OFF!

:lmao:

OilHammer
07-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Well crap, ran out of time. Heading to Ouray on Thursday, and seriously doubt I can knock the lift and alignment out before then. Meh....is what it is.

nakman
09-25-2013, 01:41 PM
I am now running Slee 2" heavy springs. The difference is about 1" compared to 866, which means with the front height held constant I now have a slight rake, but am level with a motorcycle or (presumably) camper hooked up. Just what I was hoping for...

This also means I have some 866 springs to sell.

wesintl
09-25-2013, 03:48 PM
oooh...

nakman
09-25-2013, 04:42 PM
oooh...

You oohing over my manly 2.25" lift? Or at your opportunity to own gently used 866 springs? :D

Fishy
09-25-2013, 07:13 PM
How do they feel? I'm still on the 860's, which I think are the same as the 866's ..... only taller? I have always liked the way they ride.

The weight of the bumper and gear in the back is too much and I need to replace them with Slee Heavies or 863's. I'm worried about the ride being too bone jarring.

MisledYouth
09-25-2013, 07:45 PM
I had the 2.5" heavy installed at Slee a couple of days ago. My old shocks were shot, and the kid feels awesome. They describe it as a "sports car" feel. I can see what they mean, but it's still not on par with my 5 Series :) . It's not uncomfortable by any means. I bought the heavy kit, as I plan on buying the full bumper/skid plate stable from them as well. Even without the heavy Slee bumpers, the suspension is nowhere near what I would describe as "bone jarring". Just do it.

Fishy
09-25-2013, 08:05 PM
I had the 2.5" heavy installed at Slee a couple of days ago. My old shocks were shot, and the kid feels awesome. They describe it as a "sports car" feel. I can see what they mean, but it's still not on par with my 5 Series :) . It's not uncomfortable by any means. I bought the heavy kit, as I plan on buying the full bumper/skid plate stable from them as well. Even without the heavy Slee bumpers, the suspension is nowhere near what I would describe as "bone jarring". Just do it.

Thanks for the info. Even though I've never been in your truck, I have driven a non-bumpered 100 with Slee Heavies and one with 863s. I would consider them both to be bone jarring. Your level of comfort is obviously far different than mine.

I carry a good amount of weight when I'm loaded. Plus, the 35 hanging off the bumper isn't exactly light either. I also lowered my bump stops by 1inch to accomidate the 80 Series extended length shocks. I hit the bumpstop pretty hard on big hits. When the back is empty, i dont hit. Romer and Nakman carry similar weight, Romer is on 863s and I've driven his truck...... The ride isn't too bad. Just trying to gage Tim's ride. I'm not really a just do it kind of guy. I try to select each mod for a specific purpose.

nakman
09-25-2013, 08:12 PM
you can drive it some time Stan. I think the ride is better than OME, I never liked how much body roll those give you. The Slee springs keep you upright more.. you'll notice it on curves.

And the bumper, drawers, fridge and sliders don't come off that often so I guess that means I'm always loaded. I could see these being too harsh if that weren't the case, but I probably have the equivalent of 3 guys in the cargo area at all times. When I switched from OME J springs to the Slee's in the 80 it was a huge upgrade- this one hasn't felt that substantial, but again it's just the back.

MisledYouth
09-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Definitely a +1 on the body roll. If it helps, I'm about to have surgery on my spine (cervical) and it's still not too bone jarring.