PDA

View Full Version : bring my winch to Moab for me??

azrider
04-04-2013, 11:41 PM
I have been searching for a winch, specifically a 9.5 XP-S for my short bus. Warn winches dont come up very often on Craigslist. I found one today on Craigslist-Denver, and im in Phoenix. Its a Warn 9.5 XP, so cable and roller fairlead. The seller says he bought it new a year ago and never used it, sold his FJ, and now it sits. Its a good deal, quite a bit under retail, and all I have to do is get some synthetic line and hawse fairlead.

So what im asking one of you guys is this. I will be attending Cruise Moab this year, arriving on Tuesday.(My 3rd Cruise Moab) I can deposit into your account or send you the $900, he said he will meet anywhere from Denver to Fort Collins(hes in Fort Collins). And you buy the winch for me and bring it to Moab as long as the winch looks and is what he says it is. It should look brand new if it never been installed.

This isnt a scam, and I know I can trust you guys. Ive been on 'mud for over 5 years so im legit, with the same username on that side of the board. I doubt one of you guys would try to pull something crazy either. If this is something one of you guys or gals could do, that would be awesome. I'll even let you help me drop the Slee shortbus and slip it in at Slickrock campground over a couple beers!! (kidding....kinda)

My trail assignments are the Wednesday for the overnighter with the Wasatch crew, Metal Masher on Friday, and Moab Rim on Saturday, and staying at the Hampton.

Let me know if one of you guys can help and I will tell the seller its a go and figure out the logistics of getting you the cash and the seller meeting you. He said he'd meet in Denver, so you wont have to travel at all.

Heres a shot of the winch off the ad. Anyone familiar with the 9.5 XP enough to know why the solenoid is centered over the drum and the 9.5 XP on the Warn website is off to the side? Just wondering.

azrider
04-04-2013, 11:43 PM
heres a picture of the Warn 9.5 XP on the Warn website.

corsair23
04-05-2013, 01:41 AM
Heres a shot of the winch off the ad. Anyone familiar with the 9.5 XP enough to know why the solenoid is centered over the drum and the 9.5 XP on the Warn website is off to the side? Just wondering.

Wish I could help with the delivery but alas I'm not Moab bound this year :(

As for the differences...It doesn't really look like the solenoid box is really mounted to the winch in the picture, just sort of sitting on top. Judging by the pictures Warn made some changes to the box from the version you are looking at buying to what they currently sell.

What would make me question the guy saying that it was never mounted/used is that the cable is on the drum sort of wonky...Certainly not on there fresh from the factory. I've never had a new winch so maybe the cable doesn't come spooled on and he just didn't do a very good job of getting it on the drum :confused: - since you are replacing it wtih syn I guess it doesn't much matter other than making sure the winch really is "new and unused"

Dankunz
04-05-2013, 01:55 AM
i am going through Denver the Tuesday before...may be able to help. Need to see how much crap and how many passengers I manage to load up

Fishy
04-05-2013, 02:33 AM
i am going through Denver the Tuesday before...may be able to help. Need to see how much crap and how many passengers I manage to load up

That's really nice of you. I would caution that if the guy wants to meet in Ft Collins, you're going to have to take 25 North from Denver. It can be an hour one way, or six hours one way depending on traffic.... Then you've got to make the deal and go South on 25 back to I-70.

I-25 North and South of Denver makes me want to punch a grizzly bear.

DaveInDenver
04-05-2013, 05:54 AM
The solenoid box wouldn't be mounted like that originally I don't think. The one Jeff sold me was mounted on the motor. But if the guy had it on a FJ Cruiser, it was maybe in an ARB and you have to remote mount the solenoids, usually on a pedestal above the bumper or sometimes people mount them under the hood.

J Kimmel
04-05-2013, 07:23 AM
going to be in Moab all week if you want.

that's a nice winch, same one I have :)

nuclearlemon
04-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Certainly not on there fresh from the factory. I've never had a new winch so maybe the cable doesn't come spooled on "

i've had three new winches and on every one, the cable was spooled uniformly and tightly, held with a very heavy rubber band. it is possible he took the band off or it broke, the cable will unspool in that situation, but that looks very unspooled. also looks like the solenoid box may have been mounted (i'm looking at the two screw holes on the bottom of the bracket). could be just the picture, but the eyelet looks scuffed too. as jeff said, cable wouldn't be attached to winch, neither would the box.

are you sure he said never mounted? maybe it was mounted, but never used.

DaveInDenver
04-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Another photo of it.

azrider
04-05-2013, 09:59 AM
this is the way he worded it. "This is a never used Warn winch that I planned to put on my FJ cruiser but ended up selling my FJ and buying a F-150". I see what you all are saying. Its been unspooled, and the solenoid looks like its been mounted.

Still seems like a good deal right? I wouldnt ask anyone to drive to Fort Collins and back from Denver. I would insist he delivers it somewhere in Denver like he said in his ad.

J Kimmel
04-05-2013, 10:34 AM
retails for 1400 bucks last I looked? I've had mine for 5 years or so and its flawless and pulls hard.

Maybe HE never used it ;) can't say I'd be afraid of that winch.

If he'll bring it down somewhere I'll bring it out.

corsair23
04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
I agree with Jeremy...

I'm sure you've looked around at what brand new will cost. I just checked Winch Depot and there are 2 versions of the XP? One is $1400 and the other is $1300 with free shipping. The $1300 qualifies for a $100 mail in rebate making it $1200 so you are still saving quite a bit.

All in all, the winch looks to be in good shape...I've seen a lot worse but I'm guessing that at a minimum that winch was mounted on something for awhile. Maybe it was never actually used in a recovery but the cable was unspooled. Really though, if it was mounted and the person set the winch up correctly, you'd unspool the cable and respool it under load before using it.

azrider
04-07-2013, 12:28 AM
so what do you guys think? buy the winch for $900, add a synthetic rope and hawse fairlead for $250-300, which comes out to be about $1150-1200. Or should I buy a Zeon 10-s for $1150 plus tax(where I have to relocate the solenoid but comes with synthetic line), or a brand new 9.5 XP-s for $1549 plus tax(which fits perfect and comes with synthetic line). Is it a big deal if the winch has been mounted awhile, perhaps been subject to snow and rain inside, or such a great deal because it looks new and the owner says its never been used. What would you guys do?

azrider
04-07-2013, 12:44 AM
I just sent him this email after he inquired about whether I found someone to make the purchase for me.

"Marco,
Sorry, its been a busy weekend. Heres the deal. I got a guy in Denver that you can deliver the winch too. I told him about the winch and that it has never been used. It should look brand new correct? I told him that if it appears new and un-used than to make the purchase. So I need to know if its been sitting in your garage since new, mounted on a vehicle since you purchased it, or anything else. I hate to screw up a deal because a friend of mine assumes he will be buying a winch that looks like it just came out of the box, yet its got a little sun fade on it because its been mounted but never used. I ask because the cable doesnt look tightly spooled on the drum like from the factory and the solenoid is sitting on top. Let me know the details. Im all for making this happen, just have to know the details. Whats your schedule like and when can you make it up to Denver with it?"

NYCO
04-08-2013, 07:46 AM
my schedule is tight this week, but let me know if you need a hand with this...work in denver and could meet the guy if you don't already have somebody lined up..i won't be out in moab til thursday morning however, so it won't be there in time for the overnight.

just got an xd9000 off a guy on CL who had it on his fj before he sold it...said he only used it twice...took it all apart to clean and re-grease everything and the wear on the drum and housing definitely say that he used it more than he said...hard to really believe everything that people say on CL..

but that said, it still looks like a clean winch...if the connections appear clean, the drum doesn't appear too marred up and the housing isn't too banged up, at least it wasn't abused and you'd most likely get MANY years of great pulls out of the thing..

had an issue with the one i got too with poor wires..he didn't take care of them and had exposed wires in the ground wire..so that's another thing to look at..i had him take $20 off for the wire issue and missing mounting bolts..i just reused my solenoid, wires and mounting bolts off my m8000 so i wasn't concerned..

Rzeppa
04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
I agree, there is no doubt that winch has been mounted and has been spooled out and back in (rather sloppily I might add). It is a used winch and is not as represented. If it had originally been represented properly as a used winch then I would say that is a fair deal, not a screaming deal by any stretch. Since it isn't being represented properly I would distrust other things about the seller/winch.

corsair23
04-08-2013, 10:35 PM
so what do you guys think? buy the winch for $900, add a synthetic rope and hawse fairlead for $250-300, which comes out to be about $1150-1200. Or should I buy a Zeon 10-s for $1150 plus tax(where I have to relocate the solenoid but comes with synthetic line), or a brand new 9.5 XP-s for $1549 plus tax(which fits perfect and comes with synthetic line). Is it a big deal if the winch has been mounted awhile, perhaps been subject to snow and rain inside, or such a great deal because it looks new and the owner says its never been used. What would you guys do?

I know zero about Zeon winches so no help there...It would be a lot different if you could see this winch in person. It "seems" like a good deal...Not a screaming deal but if it were it would probably already be long gone...

IMO it isn't a big deal that the winch has been mounted and subject to the elements...They are designed to be out in the elements (even though I keep mine covered :hill: - but that is mostly to keep the UV off the syn line). But like Zepp said...if the seller claimed the winch was brand new and never mounted then it would appear his misrepresented what he had or tried to oversell it. If he never said it was never mounted but just that it was unused then eh, I could believe that. It isn't like the cable forms to the drum so the minute you unmount a winch the cable starts getting all squirrely and personally you don't much care about the cable.

In the end it comes down to how much peace of mind $350 more and brand new would buy you? If that used winch needs nothing but to be mounted and syn line spooled on then bonus...If you need to tear it apart and do a rebuild then suddenly it isn't such a great deal anymore...

I'll just say again that from what I've seen winches tend to hold there value pretty well and it is amazing how much even really crappy looking winches sell for...I've seen some that look like they've been sitting at the bottom of a mud pit listed for $500...don't know if they sold for that but you never know :rolleyes:

nakman
04-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Looks like more trouble than it's worth. Have you read about the HF Badlands winches? http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/516009-harbor-freight-winches-16.html

Dankunz
04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
I love my Iron Man winch, and it was cheap too...lots of options.

timmbuck2
04-09-2013, 03:46 PM
anyone have a 12k Badlands winch from HF? lots of good info and good reviews on MUD...not bad for $300 or so

http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/516009-harbor-freight-winches.html

baja1d
04-09-2013, 06:07 PM
anyone have a 12k Badlands winch from HF? lots of good info and good reviews on MUD...not bad for $300 or so

http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/516009-harbor-freight-winches.html

We burned one up on our St. Vrain outing earlier this year 1/2 way through the day. If we didn't have two other name brand winches in the group we most likely would have spent the night out there. Don't get me wrong, I love HF for their throw down tools but I'd only mount a HF winch to a trailer.

timmbuck2
04-09-2013, 11:22 PM
A ton of guys on Mud have them and have used the snot out of them with no issues...I might have to try one just to see...one guy even had his outlast his buddies Warn...

baja1d
04-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Just stating my experience. $300 is cheap but it's also 1/2 way to a Craigslist "purchased but never used" Warn. Replacement brushes/parts from HF are nearly impossible to obtain, which sucks. It's always seems to be the brushes that go bad with my HF electrical stuff.

nakman
04-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Just stating my experience. $300 is cheap but it's also 1/2 way to a Craigslist "purchased but never used" Warn. Replacement brushes/parts from HF are nearly impossible to obtain, which sucks. It's always seems to be the brushes that go bad with my HF electrical stuff.

So it was the Badlands brand that you guys fried? That's interesting... as Timm said there are tons of positive reviews on these. I haven't read every one of them though.. but shoot my only experience with a winch overheating and quitting was with a Warn M12k.

baja1d
04-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Not entirely sure that it was the badlands but it was definitely a HF