PDA

View Full Version : GROUP BUY Jonesy's Offroad Universal Recovery Brackets (URB's)

Fishy
04-08-2013, 09:12 AM
I finally got my URB's from Jonesy's. Sorry I didn't have them in time for the last meeting. I know some of you said you may be interested, so consider this the official Rising Sun Group Buy thread. I'll keep updating the list for the next 10 days or so, then make the order. Price will depend on how many we buy. Should be in the $28-$33 each range. Final price is $53.35 per pair, shipped. Here's some more info... and stress test results. http://forum.ih8mud.com/vendor-marketplace/634825-universal-recovery-brackets-urbs.html

Fishy - 2 (100 Series) *PAID*
MTSN - 2 (100) *PAID*
Inukshuk - 2 (80) *PAID*
LARGEONE - 4 (80) *PAID*
corsair23 - 2 (80) *PAID*
bigcountry - 2 (80) *PAID*
Uncle Ben - 2 (80) *PAID*
MountainGoat - 2 (80) *PAID*
wesintl - 2 (100) *PAID*
Hulk - 2 (80) *PAID*
timmbuck2 -2 (80) *PAID*

DaveInDenver
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Anyone know if these fit tow points on trucks other than the 80/100, e.g. Hilux/Tacoma/4Runner? I can measure the eye-to-eye from my stock points, if they match I'd be in for at least 2 and maybe 4.

Pattern is different.

Inukshuk
04-08-2013, 09:23 AM
I'd get two if we can have them before Cruise Moab.

MTSN
04-08-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm definitely in for 2. Thanks!

Fishy
04-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Anyone know if these fit tow points on trucks other than the 80/100, e.g. Hilux/Tacoma/4Runner? I can measure the eye-to-eye from my stock points, if they match I'd be in for at least 2 and maybe 4.

I'll take a measurement Dave.

I'd get two if we can have them before Cruise Moab.

They have a bunch ready for us, just waiting on me to say how many. We're at 3 pairs or so already. They'll get pretty cheap if we hit 10 pairs. Something like $25 each / $50 for the pair.

Fishy
04-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Here's their profile hanging down below the ARB on my truck. Less than an inch.

DaveInDenver
04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm going to guess they would not fit. Eye-2-eye is a hair less than 1.5" and looks like those from a 80/100 are quite a bit longer.

Inukshuk
04-08-2013, 04:28 PM
I was hoping they'd give me and Uncle Ben 8 free in exchange for the rights to use my photo and recovery fail story. This should spur hundreds of sales!
:cool:

Fishy
04-08-2013, 04:54 PM
I actually told them about that when we spoke about the group buy.

And Dave, they won't fit. Eye to eye on these is about 2 1/4 I think.

wesintl
04-08-2013, 05:24 PM
you're not replacing the giant fish hook on the other side fishy?

Fishy
04-08-2013, 06:40 PM
you're not replacing the giant fish hook on the other side fishy?

Yeah.... I wanted to keep one of these new ones off for a week or two in case anyone wanted an up close look. I guess I should have changed that one first!

Inukshuk
04-08-2013, 09:08 PM
I actually told them about that when we spoke about the group buy.

:thumb: For sure mine was cracked by rock impacts, but just the same, the URB could not fail that way. Seems like a home run product.

LARGEONE
04-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Dave...maybe they can send them without the holes and then we can just throw them on the drill press?

I'm in for at least two. Four if the price is closer to the bottom end of the quoted range.

Fishy
04-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Dave...maybe they can send them without the holes and then we can just throw them on the drill press?

I'm in for at least two. Four if the price is closer to the bottom end of the quoted range.

I'll have an answer for you guys by tomorrow morning.

corsair23
04-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Stan,

I'd be in for at least 2...Maybe 4 but with the Slee rear bumper I've got pretty stout recovery points in the rear :)

Fishy
04-09-2013, 06:31 AM
We're already down to $30 each based on the number of people we already have in the GB. Looking like a great deal and it can still get better.

Uncle Ben
04-09-2013, 07:41 AM
I will commit to 2.

MountainGoat
04-09-2013, 08:59 AM
I will take 2 as well. Thanks for finding these Stan! :thumb:

Inukshuk
04-09-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm even ok if I get it from you at Cruise Moab. Not only an easy last minutes bolt on, but more great exposure for his product, and nice to do since he's working with us on this great deal.

Fishy
04-09-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm even ok if I get it from you at Cruise Moab. Not only an easy last minutes bolt on, but more great exposure for his product, and nice to do since he's working with us on this great deal.

I agree. I think they're doing really well for us on this deal. Joel and Shawn have been ON when it comes to communication. They get back to me night or day. I emailed Shawn over the weekend, expecting a response on Monday and got one in less than 20 minutes.

I'll be on the Koko Run, so I'll be pulling into Moab sometime on Thursday, if that works. Once we hit 10 pairs on here, I'll make the order a few days after that so everyone will have the oportunity to grab them before Moab.

I'll post a group buy close date in a few days.

Fishy
04-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Here's the email I received today about this...I asked if they could modify the design to fit a 4runner/Hilux, or if they could send them as blanks for holes to be drilled

Hey Stan,

The URB's are cut with holes in them so there is no altering the widths between the holes.

We can make a batch of URB's for 4runners if we get enough demand.

Fishy
04-10-2013, 01:16 PM
If we get 2 more pairs, our price goes down to $50 for the pair. A few of you mentioned maybe wanting four instead of two....still interested in that?

Anyone else want to jump in?

DaveInDenver
04-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks for looking into it, count me out but do update if he makes them for mini trucks. FWIW, the smaller hole pattern is sorta standard and he could probably sell them to J**p CJ/YJ/TJ owners, too. They're always looking for decent bow shackle brackets to replace their hooks.

LARGEONE
04-11-2013, 05:50 PM
If they are $50/pr, I'm in for 2 pair, 4 total.

wesintl
04-11-2013, 07:12 PM
I'll take a pair @50

Fishy
04-11-2013, 10:25 PM
That's the 10 pairs we needed to get that at $50/pair.

Let's wait until this Monday the 15th to close it up and I'll work out the order.

For anyone else getting in, 2 URB's for $50. Great price!

Hulk
04-12-2013, 01:18 AM
I'll take a pair at $50.

Fishy
04-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Looks like we're about to wrap this up. Thanks for all who participated. Our totals are $50 per pair. I'm willing to just pay the total upfront via Paypal. The total for each including Paypal fees and shipping is $53.35. If you bought 2 pair (LARGEONE) its $104.80.

PayPal fees are 2.9% + .30 per transaction. Shipping is $16

I will make sure everyone gets their URB's prior to Moab, or at the very least on Thursday night in Moab. I'll be on the Kokopelli Run and should be pulling into Moab Thursday afternoon.

I have to pick up some parts from Stevenson West next week, so we may be able to work out a meeting. Or, I'll try and make a Northside Breakfast and can make the handoff there for you NS'ers.

I'll PM everyone my Paypal address. I'll be floating the $550 $600 out there from my Moab/Montana spending cash funds, so please don't leave me hanging for too long.

If there is anything else you'd like to order from Jonesy's, I can email Joel your info to show you're in the GB, and he would probably include the URB's in your order and ship it right to your door. In that case you'd probably pay Jonesys directly, but I'll confirm this tomorrow. I don't believe they want to deal with ten different URB orders at the price we're getting them though, so unless you're buying other things, it's best for us to make one payment and distribute them ourselves.
http://jonesysautoclub.com/shop/product-category/offroad/

We're getting a pretty hefty discount, so thanks to Jonesy's Offroad for doing this for us.

timmbuck2
04-14-2013, 10:30 AM
I'll take a pair at $50.

x2!

Fishy
04-14-2013, 10:45 AM
x2!

You're in. PM sent..

corsair23
04-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks for putting this together Stan :thumb:

PayPal payment sent

MTSN
04-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Payment has been sent - thanks again!

LARGEONE
04-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Payment sent. Thanks, Stan.

Fishy
04-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for paying so quickly. I'll get an ETA on the brackets tomorrow.

Consider this group buy closed.

Fishy
04-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Just want to give everyone an update. I am still waiting for Joel Jones to send me the invoice for our order. I emailed him again this morning, and just now called and left a message. Both Joel and Shawn have always called/emailed right away. I know Shawn is out of the shop this week. It may end up being the first part of next week before the URBs make it to our door.....

Stay tuned.

Fishy
04-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Another quick update. I spoke with Joel today. URB's are paid for and on their way via USPS Priority Mail. We should have them by Friday or Monday.

Again, thanks to all who participated and paid so quickly so I didn't have to shell out my own funds to cover this.

Fishy
04-20-2013, 12:31 PM
URB's are in. Lets start making plans to meet up. I have to head west this week. Probably Monday morning. Going to Stevenson West and Slee. Otherwise, I'm around all week.

LARGEONE
04-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Where area do you live in Denver?

Fishy
04-22-2013, 07:43 AM
I live SE of Denver. Near Arapahoe/Parker.

corsair23
04-23-2013, 12:28 PM
:cool:

I'm not in a big hurry for mine Stan and between work and soccer my schedule is crazy...Might be easier to just wait and meet up with you at the June meeting

Fishy
05-22-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm on my way over to General Air in Littleton. I have the URBs in my truck full time just in case. Call me if you're in that area. 717-580-five455

Inukshuk
05-23-2013, 08:28 AM
If you are ever downtown ....

This morning I have meetings at 470 & University.

CardinalFJ60
05-23-2013, 10:38 AM
I see that UB is on this list...I'm in Denver for work (lodo). I can meet in Lodo to get them up to L'ville if needed.

Hulk
05-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Can you bring mine to the RS meeting on June 5th?

Fishy
05-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Can you bring mine to the RS meeting on June 5th?

Absolutely. Sorry it's been so hard meeting up with everyone. I am off Thursday/Friday this week. We may do a family trip Friday through RMNP.

Inukshuk
06-07-2013, 09:28 AM
I installed the URB's front and rear, one each. On the front there are three holes with captured nuts. I had not noticed that before. The front two hold the ARB Bumper. The rear one was unused. So using the thick washer that URB comes with as a spacer (it matches the ARB metal thickness) I mounted the URB in the rear and center frame locations, locating the URB about 2 inches further back, improving approach angle even more. I then ran a bolt in the front hole to secure the ARB. This would not be an ideal hook up location in water or mud, but for our type of wheeling it should be fine.

At the back of the truck the URB bolt was, as Stan predicted and said Shawn at Jonesy's had supplied some longer bolts for, with my factory hitch, was too short. Its a combination of the thicker URB washer and slightly shorter bolt. I had already replaced these bolts a few years ago due to rust (check yours) so I had good longer ones on hand to use.

This also got me thinking about the washers: Why use a thick washer with an internal diameter hole the same size as the 1/2" thick steel I was clamping. I'd already put them on the rear so I left it, but I omitted them in the front. Some web research suggests there is no reason and in fact downside to using a lock and flat washer in the same application (you lock to the bolt head or nut and to a flat washer that can slide on the clamped surface), and no reason at all to use a flat washer with an internal diameter hole the same as the 1/2" thick steel I was clamping. If the clamped material was thin and I wanted a larger clamping surface area or the material hole was larger diameter an I wanted to span it, then ye, a flat washer makes sense. http://www.boltscience.com/pages/faq.htm#11

Uncle Ben
06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
TimmBuck2's have been officially delivered as of today.

DaveInDenver
06-12-2013, 05:45 PM
The reason to use a flat washer under a split washer is to prevent the lock washer from marring the mating surfaces and digging in. One, when this happens and peels off some paint or powder coat, it's a spot for rust to start. Second it can cause the split washer to uncurl, losing it's ability to act as a locking washer. We've all see this, when you take one off and it looks like a crescent moon.

Anyway, look at all the fasteners Toyota used originally, they almost all have captured lock and flat washers, so it's not a random thing. I suspect the uber thick washer is to spread the load off the bolt head. Several of the bolts ARB included with my bumper had the same sort of thick washers. Shrug.

One thing is fer sure, if the choice was to use a flat washer but not have total thread engagement (e.g. making the bolt too short, so to speak) against using one I would leave it out. A bolt that does not full engage all the threads is asking for trouble IMHO.

Inukshuk
06-17-2013, 10:47 PM
A tragic news story today about a tow hook breaking loose. This was pulling a tree stump. :(

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_23478637/freak-accident-removing-tree-stump-kills-man-aurora?source=rss

Freak accident removing tree stump kills man in Aurora
Posted: 06/17/2013 01:59:21 PM MDT
Updated: 06/17/2013 02:58:09 PM MDT

By Kieran Nicholson
The Denver Post

A man died in a freak accident in Aurora on Monday morning when the hook of a tow strap hit him in the head.
The incident happened about 10:42 a.m. in the 1300 block of Scranton Street, according to the Aurora Police Department.
Police said a man was removing tree stumps from the front of a home by using an SUV and a tow strap.
The man had a strap hooked up to an International Scout and was attempting to dislodge a stump when the strap "disconnected," according to an Aurora police media release.
"The hook slung back toward the vehicle..." police said, "through the rear window and struck the driver in the back of the head."
The SUV then hit the front porch of a house across the street, rolling to a stop. A man sitting on the front porch at the time was injured.
The driver was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said.
The man on the porch has injuries that are not life-threatening.
Neither of the men were identified and police do not believe that any type of criminal or traffic charges will be filed.
The coroner's office will determine the official manner and cause of death after an autopsy.

DaveInDenver
06-18-2013, 05:33 AM
That's sad to hear. Wonder what happened, maybe trying to snatch with a tow strap, getting a run at the stump.