PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy maps?

Hulk
08-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Any recommendations on a good place to buy maps in the south suburban area? I'd like to buy a good topo map of the Red Cone area before the run on Saturday.

MDH33
08-14-2006, 12:54 PM
I bought the National Geographic USGS TOPO! CD set from REI. It covers the whole state in 7.5 minute maps. has 3D views and is GPS compatible as well. You can print the map views, etc.

wesintl
08-14-2006, 01:05 PM
F rei if you can.

Matt, Try Borders or tattered cover. I'll have to look. I probably have some you can borrow if you like. I know borders has the massey books

MDH33
08-14-2006, 01:09 PM
No loyalty by me for REI, Just happened to be close. ;)

The digital USGS maps are available at other books stores as mentioned.

Here's a screen grab, zoomed in on Red Cone and Webster Pass.

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/88116468-O.jpg

Hulk
08-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Wow, that's wicked cool!

bh4rnnr
08-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Any recommendations on a good place to buy maps in the south suburban area? I'd like to buy a good topo map of the Red Cone area before the run on Saturday.

Matt, Mapsco is really good. There is one off 9th and lincoln.

Uncle Ben
08-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Federal Center at 6th and Kipling. You will find more maps of this area than you ever dreamed! Plan some time as you will blow way more time there ogling than the time it takes just to find the map!

Hants
08-15-2006, 09:36 AM
USGS main distribution center is in Denver. There's a phone number on their site. Inexpensive and fast, they show up at your door.... and if you've been using USGS 7.5 minute topos for years, they're exactly what you'd expect.

That said, if you have a GPS and are a technophile, there is some really cool software out there:

Google Earth -- satellite views with track overlays (free for low-res printouts, cheap for high-res printouts)

ExpertGPS -- inexpensive, scanned topos, low-res satellite views, editing tracks & waypoints (inexpensive)

DeLorme Topo USA -- Complete VECTOR based USGS maps (see picture above), 3d views of your tracks & waypoints

Garmin MapSource/US Topo -- Download 15 minute topo info into your Garmin GPS

There are also online sites that have zoomable (but still 2D) topos available for free viewing. I don't have the URL's handy, but can look them up when I get back in town if you're interested.