PDA

View Full Version : F-me, now a wiring harness!!!

baja1d
04-24-2013, 11:17 AM
So yesterday I have the afternoon to myself and figured I'd wrap up my Saginaw p/s swap. Since I'm nearing the end of a 5 year build I figured I dig deep and make some real progress, hopefully wheeling it upon return from Moab!!! Things went well throughout the day... Got the hole in the frame done w/o issue, gear box mounted, boxed the frame, and welded everything together. Since my 4 hour job was now nearing it's 10th hour, I figured I'd better call it a night. While cleaning up, and about to jump in the shower, I hear, and feel in my feet, an unfamiliar sound; similar to a door slamming but with 1/2 the noise. At any rate, I'm exhausted and I nearly ignore this mysterious noise but curiosity gets the best of me and I gotta investigate, even if I'm naked! All doors are good; kids are in their beds, wife is fast asleep... “Weird” I say. However, being that I'm a responsible Cruiser owner, better check on her & take one last look at my ever improving welds. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD- Smoke is banked to the floor of the garage, I'm naked, & I'd never hear the end of it if West Metro Fire Department showed up!!! For those of you that don't know, I'm a Fireman with Aurora- everyone know everybody. At any rate, it was pretty obvious that it was electrical in nature and that’s when I remembered that I hadn't disconnected my battery prior to welding- SOB!!! To add insult to injury, the negative wasn’t even tight and it took 2 seconds to disconnect. With the sizzling stopped, I opened my garage to vent it out a little, threw some clothes on, and went back outside to look at the damage. Yep, every wire on her is toast!!! Long story longer, I went to bed thanking the Cruiser gods for making that sound; the kid’s rooms are right above the garage & she needed a new harness anyway...

On a side note: After finishing all the welding, I spent about 2 hours under the hood. It took 3 hours post welding for this to get going.

MDH33
04-24-2013, 11:21 AM
:eek:

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the damage. But glad you caught it before things got uglier. :o

J Kimmel
04-24-2013, 11:22 AM
thats no good...but think of the cool new clean wiring you get to do.

Uncle Ben
04-24-2013, 11:22 AM
So yesterday I have the afternoon to myself and figured I'd wrap up my Saginaw p/s swap. Since I'm nearing the end of a 5 year build I figured I dig deep and make some real progress, hopefully wheeling it upon return from Moab!!! Things went well throughout the day... Got the hole in the frame done w/o issue, gear box mounted, boxed the frame, and welded everything together. Since my 4 hour job was now nearing it's 10th hour, I figured I'd better call it a night. While cleaning up, and about to jump in the shower, I hear, and feel in my feet, an unfamiliar sound; similar to a door slamming but with 1/2 the noise. At any rate, I'm exhausted and I nearly ignore this mysterious noise but curiosity gets the best of me and I gotta investigate, even if I'm naked! All doors are good; kids are in their beds, wife is fast asleep... “Weird” I say. However, being that I'm a responsible Cruiser owner, better check on her & take one last look at my ever improving welds. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD- Smoke is banked to the floor of the garage, I'm naked, & I'd never hear the end of it if West Metro Fire Department showed up!!! For those of you that don't know, I'm a Fireman with Aurora- everyone know everybody. At any rate, it was pretty obvious that it was electrical in nature and that’s when I remembered that I hadn't disconnected my battery prior to welding- SOB!!! To add insult to injury, the negative wasn’t even tight and it took 2 seconds to disconnect. With the sizzling stopped, I opened my garage to vent it out a little, threw some clothes on, and went back outside to look at the damage. Yep, every wire on her is toast!!! Long story longer, I went to bed thanking the Cruiser gods for making that sound; the kid’s rooms are right above the garage & she needed a new harness anyway...

Major bum deal! What caused the short?

AxleIke
04-24-2013, 11:31 AM

On a side note: After finishing all the welding, I spent about 2 hours under the hood. It took 3 hours post welding for this to get going.

Major bummer.

baja1d
04-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Major bum deal! What caused the short?

Not a clue & I'm not sure I'll ever know. All wires are completely melted together

Crash
04-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Sorry to read your story, Travis, but a new wiring harness is a small price to pay relative to what could have happened, as you already know. Glad that you were curious enough to find out what was going on. A good lesson learned.

baja1d
04-24-2013, 11:57 AM
I know that "painless harnesses" are pretty popular but anyone have any other recommendations?

SteveH
04-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Wow - ouch. I used an off-brand harness ('It's a Snap!'). It doesn't appear to be sold under that name any longer.

Anyway, the 18-circuit one was $120 (years ago) and it worked nicely. The harness is GM-centric, so you may have to add one wire to get it to play with a Toyota turn signal harness. If I did it again, I'd order several more circuits than I think I would need. I had to splice on every single Toyota connector and do a number of mods, which you'd have to do with all of them. In my case, I rewired a '65 FJ45 from end to end.

I wouldn't be afraid to try an off-brand harness, as long as it is US-made and has labeled wires. In some cases, Painless is about 3x the cost of the competition, which seems like a huge premium.

J Kimmel
04-24-2013, 01:00 PM
painless is about as easy as it gets.

Kipper
04-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Dang Travis, that's a bummer!

I have a complete FJ40 harness from a 2/1976 FJ40 in a box in my basement. I think it's pretty complete and I'll give you a very good deal (:beer:) on it if you want to try to keep it stock.

let me know!

bigcity25
04-24-2013, 01:09 PM
I heard some type of harness call ez wire or something like that on mud was used by guys. And good thing west metro didn't come over. I wouldn't of let you forget about that....ever.

baja1d
04-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Dang Travis, that's a bummer!

I have a complete FJ40 harness from a 2/1976 FJ40 in a box in my basement. I think it's pretty complete and I'll give you a very good deal (:beer:) on it if you want to try to keep it stock.

let me know!

Thank you. I think that I have one too but I figured that if I was going through the trouble I start new

thefatkid
04-24-2013, 02:35 PM
I would look at the alternator/regulator very close. Do the wires look burned up to either one? Just a guess, it could be possible that the welding internally shorted the diodes inside the alternator.

Do the FJ harnesses not have any fuesable links in the harness? Right next to the battery?

baja1d
04-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Nearly every wire is burned including all the way up to the alternator.

subzali
04-24-2013, 03:07 PM
FJ40s are supposed to have fusible links. They often go missing.

Uncle Ben
04-24-2013, 04:30 PM
I know that "painless harnesses" are pretty popular but anyone have any other recommendations?

I have a (I Think) 12 circuit Painless harness NIB I would sell for a smoking (no pun intended) great deal.

baja1d
04-24-2013, 04:32 PM
I have a (I Think) 12 circuit Painless harness NIB I would sell for a smoking (no pun intended) great deal.

Text sent

mikeyhcrana
04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
I did that to a Corolla once. It was Thanksgiving time. I just welded a new roof on. We had a pot luck lunch that day, I went off and ate a huge plate, went back into a shop full of smoke. Slag rolled down inside the A pillar, melted the insulation, shorted the wires, and burned half the dash harness before I found it. I bet slag caused your short. Now I never weld anything unless I will be around the vehicle for an hour after welding.

PabloCruise
04-24-2013, 05:41 PM

Ha ha, that is funny!
Travis, I am sorry for your loss, but very happy the family and home are safe.
Have you heard of Cooler Man on Mud? He has a plethora of connectors and wiring products that might help finish the UB Painless kit.
Good luck!

baja1d
04-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Here's a couple of pictures:

baja1d
04-25-2013, 10:52 AM
A friend gave me this when he heard the news. I think it was a jab but its actually a very informative reference for understanding vehicle wiring & building reliable "fusible links" from scratch.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/25/te6epuna.jpg

Crash
04-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Looks like you had a "Thermal Runaway Event"! I'd like to see the article on how to build your own fusible links.

baja1d
04-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Yep. I'll scan & post the page

nuclearlemon
04-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Looks like you had a "Thermal Runaway Event"! I'd like to see the article on how to build your own fusible links.

you can buy fusible link wire. used to be at any auto parts store, don't know if it still is. eyelet on one end to hook to battery, either but connect or use a connector to the wire harness

Crash
04-25-2013, 12:53 PM
you can buy fusible link wire. used to be at any auto parts store, don't know if it still is. eyelet on one end to hook to battery, either but connect or use a connector to the wire harness

I have two rolls of different gauge that I have used in the past but knowing what I am doing would be a good thing. I have enough to build a bunch of links.

rover67
04-25-2013, 01:23 PM

NAPA in Boulder had it last night when i looked.

FJCDan
04-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Wow that sucks, but glad to here no one got hurt.

Bruiser
04-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Let me know if you need help crimping. Might get me motivated yo fix mine.

Corbet
04-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Wow, that sucks. I guess I need to start un-hooking my battery when I weld on the truck. Welded bunch of stuff today on the rear bumper.

I think Painless has some new water resistant harness products out.

baja1d
04-26-2013, 08:29 AM
I have two rolls of different gauge that I have used in the past but knowing what I am doing would be a good thing. I have enough to build a bunch of links.

I'll investigate/scan the page this weekend but it appears that a 4 gauge difference is the magic number. Ie: 22 & 18g, 18g & 14g, 16g & 12g, etc

baja1d
05-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Getting ready for the 40 re-wire & found this link regarding fusible links: http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/526232-fusible-link-one-my-78-bj40.html

Crash
05-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Good research, Travis, and thanks! Bj40green pretty well figured out what fusible links are all about and that's really good info. I have several meters of 12 and 14 gauge fusible link wire should you need any.

baja1d
05-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Good research, Travis, and thanks! Bj40green pretty well figured out what fusible links are all about and that's really good info. I have several meters of 12 and 14 gauge fusible link wire should you need any.

Cool thanks Steve. I'll absolutely take you up on that.

baja1d
05-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Here we go... Huge props to Uncle Ben for the harness!

Rezarf
05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Glad your family is safe... sorry for the setback.

Bruiser
05-16-2013, 11:27 PM
How is it coming Travis?

baja1d
05-17-2013, 06:55 AM
It's getting there. The Painless isn't too bad. Just gotta pay attention to the group of wires you're working with know your cruiser. Ie, the brake switch is behind the speedo but the Painless has its wires grouped with those for the engine bay. I think Chevys have there switch on the master cylinder? Hoping to finish next week

baja1d
05-22-2013, 05:10 PM
She runs, no brakes or dash gauges yet but at least I can sweep the garage floor!!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/23/8ujere4a.jpg

baja1d
05-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Just a few more things

J Kimmel
05-22-2013, 07:28 PM
got your text i was busy driving :)

that right there is a really satisfying feeling pulling it out of the garage :D