PDA

View Full Version : TinyTracker4

daveIT
04-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Anyone have experience with this thing? I was looking at the manual for the FT-2900R and saw it can do packet operation. I've been wanting something that does that and APRS and it looks like this could do both. I'm hoping to eventually hook up with some ARES stuff & be able to offer that ability to the team.

DaveInDenver
04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
I have a TT4. It does what it says. I forget if I have the kit one or not, but I also have a little LCD display that I can tinker with. Where there any questions specifically you have about it? I run a Garmin GPS 18x LVC puck with it. I used it with a FT-8800, so I built a 8-pin DIN plug harness to use with it, pigbacked power from the radio itself. You'd have to built a mic & speaker interface for your FT-2900, but it would work fine.

smslavin
04-25-2013, 09:44 AM
so I built a 8-pin DIN plug harness to use with it

dude, seriously, is there anything you don't know how to do? :thumb:

DaveInDenver
04-25-2013, 09:49 AM
dude, seriously, is there anything you don't know how to do? :thumb:
There is a diagram in the manual and there are 8 wires in the pigtail. Five minutes with a soldering iron and you're done, it ain't rocket surgery. The hardest part is knowing which is pin 1 and figuring out which 1 of 9 pins you don't use in the DB9 plug.

Some things I don't know:

Morse Code
Jiu Jitsu
How not to get my tractor stuck in the mud
C#
All of Shakespeare's work

But I wanna know, so I'm working on them.

4VENrBXmOjI

smslavin
04-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Some things I don't know:

Morse Code
Jiu Jitsu
How not to get my tractor stuck in the mud
C#
All of Shakespeare's work

But I wanna know, so I'm working on them.

:D

i can help with the C# if you need it but i was never a ground fighting fan. you're on your own for the other items. :cheers:

daveIT
04-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Cool, I saw Byonics has cables pre-made too for $19. Can you use APRS and Packet Radio simultaneously? I think I would just get their GPS2 module. I saw they have a BlueTooth module, but the GPS on my phone kinda sucks.

TT4 w/ GPS $140 + Display $45 + USB Cable $20 + Interface Cable $19 - $224

DaveInDenver
04-25-2013, 03:16 PM
APRS is packet radio, one major use of it anyway. General use APRS activity sits at 144.390MHz, so position reporting, messaging, any other APRS stuff will be there most of the time.

Winlink is really the only other major thing packet-wise you need to configure on VHF. Your emcomm frequencies might be different, that depends on the coordination and scenario.

On HF you'll need to get Paclink and PSK31 going. Also there's JT65 that's used on VHF and HF, although not much for emcomm.

daveIT
04-25-2013, 03:38 PM
I think I'm going to order it...sure I'll have some questions when it arrives.

DaveInDenver
04-25-2013, 03:52 PM
The little display is nothing fancy, you'll have to build a housing for it BTW and a longer cable. Turned out to be a PITA finding a PS2 keyboard to use with it. LOL! Anyway, if the budget allows it's fun but it's not necessary strictly speaking since it does not completely eliminate the need to use a computer. It just displays decoded packets and lets you send APRS messages with the keyboard, so basic functionality.

daveIT
04-25-2013, 05:54 PM
I have a Monoprice flexible keyboard that rolls up. It's USB, but I have a USB to PS/2 adapter...waterproof & all that...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10809&cs_id=1080903&p_id=6821&seq=1&format=2

So...is there like a switch box or something that you could plug the mic & TT4 into and switch back and forth or do you have to unplug one & plug in the other? Do you have a radio dedicated just for the TT4?

(On another note, my LMR400 & Palomar Engineering balun kit showed up today...c'mon KB9VR Slim Jim!!!)

DaveInDenver
04-25-2013, 06:16 PM
I honestly don't know, but I don't see why you couldn't rig up a little switch box.

It's not something I have to mess with on the FT-8800, which has a data port on the back so I never had to use the mic & speaker to connect. My guess is you'll end up unplugging the TT when you want to use the radio for voice.

The keyboard sounds pretty cool, have to let me know how the adapter works. The keyboard I got was something like $1.98 at Microcenter because who still uses PS2 ones? Apparently hams are the only ones. :-)

daveIT
04-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Hmm....just had to find the right search term maybe...6P6C RJ-11 switch box?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10103&cs_id=1010305&p_id=1371&seq=1&format=2

I think this is what I need. Can't find a measurement...not sure how big it is. What do you think? Will this work?

If its big I may be able to mount the TT4/Display in or on it...

DaveInDenver
04-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Yeah, seems like a RJ11 switch box would deal with the mic. Don't forget about the speaker (the TNC drives audio out into the mic and accept audio in from the speaker). You'll have to unplug from the speaker jack when you want the internal speaker on voice or hook up an external speaker with a second switch.

daveIT
04-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Crude diagram...to help wrap my head around everything...

daveIT
04-30-2013, 09:01 PM
I recently discovered that you have to load different firmware for the APRS and packet radio functions :( I was hoping to easily switch between the two, but no big deal.

I've started constructing my switch box...I got the A/B box and velcro'd the TT4 and a little A/B for 3.5mm I had in my junk drawer around.

It's not pretty, but it should work...I need to run by Rat Shack and pickup some cables.

I may need a little help with the TT4 software...I looked at it and it was confusing me. I'll post when I'm ready for that...

Here's a (blurry) pic

DaveInDenver
04-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Love the Dirt Rag.

DaveInDenver
04-30-2013, 10:31 PM
I run version 0.65 of the firmware and I thought it supports all forms of packet radio, APRS beaconing, Winlink, UI-View, Xastir and WinTNC. Most of packet radio with KISS TNCs depends on the application running on the computer. There were some versions a while back that did specific things so maybe I'm just off my rocker.

daveIT
04-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Oh yes my favorite, from my great state of PA. My $99 lifetime subscription was one of my greatest purchases ever. I've also been published in it. Issue #111 I had the "Last Chance for Gas" column and picture and I had some pictures published in #116.

daveIT
04-30-2013, 10:35 PM
I run version 0.65 of the firmware and it supports all forms of packet radio, APRS beaconing, Winlink, UI-View, Xastir and WinTNC. Most of packet radio with KISS TNCs depends on the application running on the computer.

Oh that's sweet...I read somewhere that you had to load different firmware for each function, but that they were asking the creator to put them both in one. Great news. Thanks!