PDA

View Full Version : Deer Trail Missile Silo

Shotshell
05-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Has Anyone gone out to Deer Trail and explored the old Cold War Era Titan 1 Missile Silo?

http://offyonder.smugmug.com/Earth/Missile-Silo-Explore/10392519_pvDqZW/719764451_RGnTsmb#!i=719764451&k=RGnTsmb

smslavin
05-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Where is that? Would love to see that. Count me in.

AxleIke
05-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Looks very fun! From searching, it looks like it would have to be done in very small groups (one or two cars), since it sounds like it may cause locals to get a little riled up.

One of the posts online mentioned trying not to alert the cops, though I'm not sure if it is illegal or not. If it is still federal land, then it would be federal trespassing, but its hard to say.

Might be something to look into is all. Still, sounds very fun!

Slavin, looks like it is east of denver in the town of Deer Trail.

Shotshell
05-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I've got GPS coords on it.
I thought it might be something fun to do this summer, one weekend.
Would probably be wise to not do it alone, but definitely not in large groups.

You guys interested?

mozes
05-06-2013, 11:39 PM
I would be!!

jonharis
05-07-2013, 03:22 PM
That's really awesome. I'll be in town next weekend. If anyone is thinking of going maybe our schedules can collide.

Inukshuk
05-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Sunday the 19th?

mozes
05-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Id rather do Saturday.....

Shotshell
05-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Is this saturday, the 11th, good for anyone?
I'm afraid the weekend after will be no good for me. I'd have to wait till the 25th-26th, if we didn't go on the 11th-12th.

I should say though, that it may not be wise to have a large group of folks. Don't want to attract any unwanted attention.
It's totally abandoned, but there may still be someone who might raise hell about us being there.

Here's a list of equipment that you may want to bring:
-Flashlights. Either hand held or head lamps.
-Glow sticks. Might come in handy. (no, we're not having a rave)
-Jacket. It'll probably be cold down there.
-First aid kit. Just in case.
-Wear good thick boots. Lots of sharp edges down there.
-Camera.
-Bottled water.

And you may want to consider a respirator of some kind. I understand there is still asbestos down there. Shouldn't be a problem as long as we're not kicking it up all over the place. But it's something to consider.
Also, you should all know that there is a good chance there will be Radon gas down there.:eek: So we may want to limit our time underground. Probably no more than an hour or so.
I'm not trying to freak you guys out, but I just think you should know, before you go.

mozes
05-08-2013, 07:26 AM
How many is a good number? less than 4? This saturday may be a possibility for me. Id rather go in the morning and get back before too late....

coloradobound
05-08-2013, 09:09 AM
http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=20107

Anybody check out this site ever?

AxleIke
05-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I won't be able to make it, but I believe that they key is not how many people are going, but the number of vehicles. If 20 trucks show up, it will attract a lot of attention. If 20 people show up in 3 or 4 vehicles, the parked vehicles won't seem so suspicious.

rover67
05-08-2013, 10:14 AM
ya'll should carpool and do it under cover of darkness. wear cammo and stuff.

cut open a glow stick that is activated and swing it around on a string so it splatters on the walls.

Corbet
05-08-2013, 11:00 AM
ya'll should carpool and do it under cover of darkness. wear cammo and stuff.

Like this?

:hill::lmao:

Shotshell
05-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Like this?

:hill::lmao:

Yeah! There ya go. That's what we need.:lmao:

Shotshell
05-08-2013, 02:15 PM
http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=20107

Anybody check out this site ever?

No, I hadn't seen that before. That's pretty cool.:thumb:

Shotshell
05-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that two cars should be ok. I can take three other people in my truck. If someone else wants to take their truck with some folks in it, we could have eight people or so.

SO, whose on for this saturday, 11th?:dunno:
Probably go in the morning. Leave Denver area about 10 A.M.

DaveInDenver
05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
And you may want to consider a respirator of some kind. I understand there is still asbestos down there. Shouldn't be a problem as long as we're not kicking it up all over the place. But it's something to consider.
Also, you should all know that there is a good chance there will be Radon gas down there.:eek: So we may want to limit our time underground. Probably no more than an hour or so.
I'm not trying to freak you guys out, but I just think you should know, before you go.
You should also know that some versions of the Titans used hydrazine fuel. Not sure how well the silos were cleaned after the USAF abandoned the sites but I would avoid liquids as best as possible. It's pretty safe to bet that any silo that did not blow up (the problem with Titan I was that it's RP-1/liquid oxygen was unstable and exploded in the tube) used Aerozine, thus being stable at room temperature but very toxic.

smslavin
05-08-2013, 04:57 PM
You should also know that some versions of the Titans used hydrazine fuel. Not sure how well the silos were cleaned after the USAF abandoned the sites but I would avoid liquids as best as possible. It's pretty safe to bet that any silo that did not blow up (the problem with Titan I was that it's RP-1/liquid oxygen was unstable and exploded in the tube) used Aerozine, thus being stable at room temperature but very toxic.

so, don't fall into this is what you're saying? ;)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/urbex/silo7.jpg

Uncle Ben
05-08-2013, 05:08 PM
This is just silliness but if you plan on trespassing on Federal land do you really think the details are best documented on a public forum?

Shotshell
05-08-2013, 05:57 PM
so, don't fall into this is what you're saying? ;)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/urbex/silo7.jpg

Yep. NOT falling in there would be good for a multitude of reasons.:D

bh4rnnr
05-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Just an FYI

When on fedy land (http://triggur.org/silo/)

jonharis
05-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Just an FYI

Nice. I always felt uneasy wandering around White Sands (Green River), but the experience was awesome!

I can go a week from Sunday if anyone is interested and will bring a calibrated 4 gas monitor.

Shotshell
05-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Just an FYI

I found this to be interesting.
A quote from that page you linked: "Interestingly enough, there are NO signs of life anywhere in the whole complex; not even a rat or a spider. This may mean that it's just pretty well sealed, or it may mean something worse, that something is preventing things from living down there."

In my research of these sites over the past couple weeks, I've found that this seems to be a reoccurring theme in all the various reports from different explorers in all the sites. Leads me to believe that there are very toxic substances to be found below deck, on account of the fact that some of these sites (the one in Deer Trail in particular) are not sealed any longer. Rats can live almost anywhere, in some of the nastiest filth know to man. But if they can't live in these abandoned bases, there's got to be something really foul down there.
But hey, look on the bright side. At least it's not an abandoned chemical/biological warfare agent factory like they have in Russia where there's bubonic plague and anthrax just lying around on the floor...at ground level... :cheers:

Shotshell
05-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Oh, BTW, turns out I've got to work this weekend after all..... so yeah....:mad:

But hey, overtime helps pay for new tires.:thumb:

farnhamstj
05-10-2013, 12:58 AM
http://www.chromehooves.net/

very cool site with lots of info

Shotshell
05-10-2013, 05:06 PM
http://www.chromehooves.net/

very cool site with lots of info

Good Find. :thumb:

Shotshell
05-10-2013, 05:38 PM
This is just silliness but if you plan on trespassing on Federal land do you really think the details are best documented on a public forum?

You make a good point.
I did some research and it turns out that none of the Titan 1 Missile silos are on federal land any longer, at least in Colorado, according to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE). The sites either reverted back to the original land owners, or were sold at surplus auctions after the total shutdown of the Titan project in 1968-69.
They're privately owned, but the environmental impacts are still studied. These studies are undertaken by the Department of Defense (DOD) at their leisure.

Now, it should be said that this only goes for the old Titan 1 silos. There are a bunch of other abandoned missile silos all over the mid-west, left behind from other projects as our intercontinental ballistic missile programs progressed in sophistication over the years. It seams that instead of retrofitting old sites, they just left them behind and started over (with your tax money). The majority of these sites are either still owned by the DOD, or are up for sale with a price tag that has way too many zeros at the end of it. For instance, there is a data storage company that purchased a missile silo of some configuration from the DOD north of Denver, and has retrofitted it to hold hundreds of servers for digital data storage.

Now, the CDPHE says that while all of these Titan 1 silo sites are contaminated and have contaminated their immediate surroundings, the B2 site (in Deer Trail) is the lesser of all the evils.
This is from the CDPHE website: "Complex 2B (D045): Titan Complex 2B is located near Deer Trail, Colorado. The Site Inspection (SI) field work was completed in the Fall of 2009. Based on the characterization data developed during the site inspection, only polychlorinated biphenols (PCBs) in the lagoon wastes (soils) is an issue. A non-time critical removal of the impacted soils is planned by the U.S. Army Corp. of Engineers."

So, anyways, my point in all this was, that if the land owner is ok with an expedition into the silo for purely exploration and photographic reasons, then we should be fine....Apart from the toxic substances.

Here is the website: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDPHE-HM/CBON/1251616142341

LARGEONE
05-12-2013, 04:36 PM
I'd be more worried about all the Meth addicts in deer trail than the Feds catching you. Don't ask me how I know about the meth problem out there!

jonharis
05-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Soooo, Sunday the 19th, my wife and a good friend want to go. We are well aware of the potrntial consequences. Is anyone else in. Again, ill bring a 4 Gas monitor. I'm not concerned about chemicals or asbestos. Chemical wast would have been cleaned up to appropriate regulatory standards prior to releasing property to any land owner and asbestos is harmless unless we start demoing the place. If anyone goes this weekend a PM would be awesome containing coordinates, conditions and any current special conditions.

Shotshell
05-12-2013, 11:09 PM
This coming weekend is no good for me.

Inukshuk
05-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Maybe

jonharis
08-16-2013, 07:18 PM
So after the initial excitement, did anyone ever make it up here? I would still love to go some day.